What age did you feel a real bond with your GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What age did you feel a real bond with your GSD?

I just wanted to put my feelings out there for anyone that's having doubts about their new puppy as I once did:

I basically didn't feel an attachment to Bear for the first 4 or so months I had him...which was rough to say the least. Jumping in head first as a first time dog owner with a high drive puppy is no simple feat...as I now know. There were tears...and bites,bruises, scratches, etc. I caught myself thinking many times, "why did I do this?" I felt guilty for even thinking it, but I just didn't feel a bond with my puppy.

That being said, NOW at almost 7 months Bear is my best bud for life! I'm SO GLAD I STUCK IT OUT; I can't imagine life without him. He's still a royal pita sometimes but I've finally learned enough about dog ownership to handle it in stride. I'm sure this isn't everyone's experience (in fact, I'm pretty sure most people are crazy about their pups when they bring them home) but I just wanted to repeat for all new owners, STICK IT OUT! The puppy days go by faster than you think even if it doesn't feel that way!
Sir Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

when we decided to get a pup i felt bonded with
the unknown pup. now, when did the pup bond with
us, umm, i don't know.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got mine at 12 weeks and I didn't feel a bond with her for about 3 months. Her potty training issues drove me nuts, but I too am very glad that I stuck it out. Not a day goes by that I don't give her kisses and tell her how stupid I was
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With Delgado it was planned from the start and took several months of planning and talking to breeders so I knew what I was getting into. I met the litter at 3 weeks then again at 5 weeks, at 5 weeks the personalities were starting to show and I felt myself drawn to two puppies in particular (one of them was Luka, now Delgado).

When I saw them again at 7 weeks the breeder and I took them outside to play and we spent two hours running around with the puppies. Luka split his time between the humans and dogs and was circling my feet and wanting my attention a lot! Even the breeder commented on the amount of time he spent with me. I went home and thought long and hard about the two puppies and i just couldn't get Luka out of my head. The breeder never came straight out and told me which puppy was mine so when I went to pick up my puppy at 9 weeks I was a little nervous, they were all great puppies so it wasn't like I could get a dud but I really felt a connection with Luka.

We talked for a few minutes then she left to go get my puppy and to my joy she came out with a wiggling Luka in her arms! I was so thrilled, we stood and talked for several more minutes with him in my arms then I took him outside to pee in preparation for leaving. He was running around with his mother and I went to my car to get the blanket I had brought to rub Diva with and when I opened the car door I heard this panicked howling and turned around to see Luka barreling towards me at top speed barking at me. The breeder looked at me shocked and said, "he doesn't want you to leave without him!" My heart completely melted and he's been my dog in my heart officially since the moment she brought him out to me and confirmed he was mine

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've loved all my dogs from the moment I got them, but for me there's something really special that happens after we've been together about a year. After about a year, there's not just a bond of love anymore, but also a bond of trust and respect. And while I have that with Kopper, the bond with Rocky is, in a way, deeper and purer because we've been together so long.

To me it's kind of like a marriage. They think they're bonded and in love when they get married, and they are. But then after they've been married for 10 years they look back and see how much shallower it was at the wedding. And then when you're 80 and have been married for 60 years that bond is totally different and stronger.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

We got ours at 6 weeks and she became officially "mine" I guess at 8 weeks or so. She listens to me way more than she does my wife or son which as you can guess can frustrate the wife. At 11 weeks, if I lay down to take a nap she'll sit outside the bedroom door waiting for me even if my wife is calling her. If she happens to get in the room she fights to get up on the bed and lay next to me, same on the couch. I can't put on my shoes without her jumping around wondering "where we going dad, where?".

Even though she drives me nuts at times and I've gone through the "what have I done" thing a few times she still our baby girl although much bigger than a few weeks ago!
jimj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Jasira and Xerxes are my 7th and 8th german shepherd. I knew what to expect. I like other dog breeds but I'd never own any other kind. I fell in love with my first german shepherd Sarron. They are so smart and special. I love my puppies the minute I see them. But like I wrote in a different post, they can drive you nuts. Xerxes getting into the cat litter, knocking stuff down, biting at my feet when I'm trying to scrub out his kennel. You turn around ready to explode and he looks at you with those puppy eyes and I end up laughing. hehe
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As soon as I saw this picture.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Aaawwww
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

First sight

Airbrush Artist

Tazor Von Best GermanShepherdinTheWorld
`10 months
Pennsylvania
http://personalatees.webs.com/
TaZoR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.