German Shepherds Forum banner

what does/did your 6 month old pup weigh?

147K views 38 replies 37 participants last post by  Grendel 
#1 ·
My pup just turned 6 months old and he seems HUGE! He almost seems a little over weight? The vet recommended feeding him twice a day as much as he wants for 15 minutes. Is this a good or bad idea? I have been doing this for a couple months. Generally we feed just taste of the wild, but lately we have been doing half TotW and half Kirkland because money is on the tight side. He is so much larger than our 55lb mutt, I would guess he weights 65 to 70 lbs. Going to get him weighed today though at vet,,, what did your 6m pup weigh? Here are some poor photos of him I quickly shot off today before taking kids to school- thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I am fairly certain Gladiator was about 60 lbs at 6 months - he is Working Line.

From the pictures he does not look overweight, though it is hard to really tell on a long haired dog.

I would just run your hands over him and make sure you can feel ribs without too much pressure, feel lean muscle over his shoulders and legs and see a waist from a bird's eye view when you hold down his fur.

Keep him fit and lean for his life and you can cut down the stress on the joints and improve the quality of life for your dog!

#4 ·
My pup Titan isn't quite 6 months old yet and is already 70 lbs. He's a big boy, very stocky, although lean. I do worry about his joints, but he's lean, so there's not much more I can do. I won't starve him.

#12 ·
Wolf Caesar is big my most standards, but he is a Black GSD Working Dog sort.
At six months he was 70 lbs (30 kg) Read about the RAW diet in Puppy section where there are pictures of Wolf Caesar...

Now at about 6 1/2 months, this Thread just inspired me to weigh him... My Son stood on the scale as I lifted him up, and I will not be able to do that again.. :help: 35 kg, about 77 lbs.. I think I hurt my back as he wriggled... :wild: Won't attempt that stupid again... :D What a dummy, (me)... heh he

That might be HUGE by some standards, as he is on the RAW diet and that is supposed to retard his growth a little. If it is true, that the RAW diet slows the growth, then Caesar is in that HUGE bracket..

I hope the RAW actually does slow the growth, so he will be big to start my own WD line of the two best I could find in Australia. The female is 13 kg at 13 weeks, usually the 100 pounders + go about a kg a week.. Anyway I hope the RAW does slow down growth.. One of the problems (besides cancer) of the dry food is that the high protein high calcium dry food causes too early of high growth, and this is part of the joint problems as the sockets have not hardened up yet, joints are soft and damage can be done...

I have trained Caesar to put his front paws up on the tailgate of my Dodge, and I reach under the rib cage to lift him up, and he helps pull himself up. There is NO JUMPING under 12 months if you love your dog... :wub: Up OR down... I do a sort of grab and slow down to drop him off the tailgate slowly..

Kind regards from Oz...

#14 ·
Dexter weighed 60 lbs at 6 months and about 69 lbs at 7 months. Hes 80 lbs now at 8 1/2 months. . Hes very lean though. You can feel all ribs but not see them.

#15 ·
Just had Tucker weighed today. He is 5-1/2 mo (will be 6mo on 10/18). He weighed in at 73.5lbs. I'm starting to think he is part Clydesdale. :eek:

And I keep him lean right now because of his expected size, so most people think he's too skinny. But I'm really getting worried about how big he'll be. His parents were big for the breed but not like this. Dad is ~90lbs and mom ~70lbs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#21 ·
Gucci was 6 months old is September and weighed in at 70 lbs A month later (we weighed him again last week) at 7 months old he is 79 lbs . He is not overweight as I can see his "waist" without seeing ribs. I knew he would be big when I saw his Grandsire but I was shocked too!

#22 ·
Oliver will be 6 months on 10/15. He weighed 69.8 lbs on his 10/8 vet visit. We picked the smallest in the litter hoping he would stay a reasonable size. Once you've had to lift a large dog with health issues in and out of the car or house, having a 100 lbs pup isn't all that attractive. We hoped by picking the smallest he might top out around 75 lbs, but I don't see that happening.

He eats 6 cups/day and is skinny...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.