Is He Sable?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is He Sable??

Hello all. We are the proud and happy owners of a 10 week old German Shepard pup named Barbosa. He is s fantastic pup. Already listens to the command sit, stay and paw, and he has his spot on the border of our lawn where he happily goes every few hours. Such a smart boy. Laid back personality just loves to cuddle. I will admit I did not know much about the breed before we purchased him (and still feel like I do not know much) He has the most beautiful coat, it is a light gray/silver with some black (mostly mask and back) After reading and studying pictures of different shepards I am leaning torward his coat being considered sable? I have attached a few pictures taken last week. Just wondering if anyone has had a pup with a similar coat and what to expect as he grows? Sable? Wolf gray? Blue? I had no idea shepards had such a wide variety of coats. Opinions please.

Alright I do not have his photos on any sites to grab the url so here is a link to a few pics from his gallery on this site.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...0-barbosa.html
fairytalephotog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Looks to me like he could be a very light sable.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He isn't what is called a "golden" sable is he? He's definitely not a black/tan. Where did you get him? What color are his parents? If he's a sable then at least one of them had to be a sable also.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know what color he is, but he sure is a nice looking boy.
Falkosmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

We got him from a pet store called the puppy patch. I know...Boooo, a pet store (gasp) but we couldn't help it. We fell in love with him. It is a very different pet store them most also (link) Welcome to the Puppy Patch! The puppies are kept in play areas and socialized and only put in crates at night. I have his papers which include his parents names and breeder info but no pictures of his parents. Maybe I should contact the breeder?
fairytalephotog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Good luck finding the breeder

Quote:
A: Our puppies come with a 20 day warranty for any health problems and a 6 month for any hereditary from date of purchase (this does not include "breed issues"). Our puppies are Vet checked every single week. We strive to make sure our puppies are healthy before they leave but not every illness can be detected due to incubation periods. We offer complementary exams as well as discounted prices after the first exam. We like to help in anyway we can. We do take care of anything needed through our vet if there is anything needed.
Still not somewhere I'd fork out hundreds of dollars for a pup.

I hope he lives a long, happy life with you.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Given that information....are you sure you have a purebred? Are the papers AKC? If the papers are AKC then you can get a pedigree on the parents and may be able to find the breeder. At least they are socializing them. That's a plus.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

If he's pure GSD, then he's a sable, but he's so incredibly light it's hard to say. Black puppies are obviously black, and bi-colors and black and tan puppies start out almost solid black so he's definitely not any of those. Sable is the only color left...
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Can you post the parents' names?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalephotog View Post
We got him from a pet store called the puppy patch. I know...Boooo, a pet store (gasp) but we couldn't help it. We fell in love with him. It is a very different pet store them most also (link) Welcome to the Puppy Patch! The puppies are kept in play areas and socialized and only put in crates at night. I have his papers which include his parents names and breeder info but no pictures of his parents. Maybe I should contact the breeder?

I'm sorry I know this isn't what you asked and you already have the pup- so there's nothing you can do now but love him- but I can't help myself. Your comment, "Booo, a pet store (gasp)," makes it seem like you really don't know the problems with pet stores. ALL pet store pups, NO MATTER what they tell you come from puppy mills, where it's likely the mother lives in a cage, has never walked on grass, has litters as fast as she can get rid of the last, and doesn't receive proper medical treatment. I hope in the future that no matter how cute a pup is, and how tempting it is to maybe "rescue" them, giving your money to a pet store is only helping to perpetuate puppy mills.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.