How long do puppies teeth for? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance&Reno View Post
You can also try this:

When you puppy puts his teeth on you for any reason, say "STOP" in a sharp tone (not scream or angry). If he doesn't immediately stop, get up and walk away from him for about a minute. If you go back and he starts mouthing you again, "STOP" and if he doesn't, get up and walk out of the room. Don't even look at him again until you come back in the room. If he can be near you and not touch you like that, praise him but do not rile him up again.
What he learns is: He can touch you but not apply pressure with his mouth. If he doesn't stop when asked, you go away. He doesn't want you to go away because he does this to get your attention. Best way to punish for forceful attention, is to take the attention completely away.
Use the "One and Done" mentality. Only tell him once! Don't give him several chances to stop before you leave. That way he will connect the command with the consequence.

Also, when you find a group class, he will learn his bite inhibition while playing with other puppies. Right now he is not capable of controling his bite strength. This is why he is tearing the skin.

I have huge issues with being able to train him my way. My boyfriend, dad and I use sharp tones and go away. My mom is too **** annoyingly nice to him and says NO. NO. NO. Always uses NO. As if No is going to work. And she repeats it, doesn't ignore him. Distracts him. When she owned dogs when she was younger, the dogs were more like family and just left off leash (had 4-5 dogs) and only fed them type of thing. She never trained Bingo with me when I went (I was about 13 when I trained Bingo) and never caught the hang of it. That's why I want to take Simba away to train at a facility, group training session - thereafter I can get the trainer to come home.

My boyfriend and I ignore Simba when he bites and use "STOP" or "BITING BAD," my boyfriend has a deeper more strict tone than I do though, I can't seem to make my voice as sharp or strict to make him stop.

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004

Last edited by Castlemaid; 02-29-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Using creative spelling for swear words is still using swear words and against board rules.
1337f0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337f0x View Post
I have huge issues with being able to train him my way. My boyfriend, dad and I use sharp tones and go away. My mom is too **** annoyingly nice to him and says NO. NO. NO. Always uses NO. As if No is going to work. And she repeats it, doesn't ignore him. Distracts him. When she owned dogs when she was younger, the dogs were more like family and just left off leash (had 4-5 dogs) and only fed them type of thing. She never trained Bingo with me when I went (I was about 13 when I trained Bingo) and never caught the hang of it. That's why I want to take Simba away to train at a facility, group training session - thereafter I can get the trainer to come home.

My boyfriend and I ignore Simba when he bites and use "STOP" or "BITING BAD," my boyfriend has a deeper more strict tone than I do though, I can't seem to make my voice as sharp or strict to make him stop.
It's not about the tone of the correction, it's about the consequence following the command when he doesn't comply. Repeating over and over and changing your command is an issue. If you use different commands for the same thing, you confuse him. If there is no consequence for the action, he can't connect the command with the punishment. Don't ignore him, get up and walk away from him. It's highly effective if you are consistent.
Puppies are simple. Either they are allowed or they aren't. In order for them to know what you expect, you have to show them in a way they understand.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 02-29-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: edited quote
Chance&Reno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I've only smacked his mouth once, which was this morning. lol. I felt so bad, and i do realize it doesn't work because he still loves me all the same and thinks i'm playing.

Tbh, I haven't even gotten around to the crate training yet as I should have when I first got him. Because he's improved his sleeping at night and sleeps through the whole night now. But I'm really gonna have to get on top of it and start using the crate so he knows when he's done something bad.
You've only had him 2 weeks and he's "driving you nuts" and you're slapping him.
You'd better get off the 'net and get him to training classes so you can learn how to deal with him.
He is a PUPPY. A normal one at that. At just over 8 weeks of age, he's nowhere near to being done with the "bitey phase".
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm trying to write a reference guide out right now to leave in the house for when I leave (suggested by Chance & Reno) - here's what I have so far, can you guys give your input on what I have written?

Feeding:
6:00AM – 12:00PM – 6:00PM - DO NOT feed before 12:00PM/6:00PM
□ He is a PUPPY this is his feeding schedule right now. When he is an ADULT getting fed twice a day he will eat when he wants.
□ NO HUMAN FOOD. NO WET FOOD. ONE TABLESPOON of PUREED CANNED PUMPKIN should be the ONLY “human food” he has, ONCE a day at DINNER.
□ Please keep note and do not ignore that Simba has gotten loose stool from the wet food. He is not comfortable in any way when going potty with this loose stool. Keep in mind your comfort levels when you’re going through the same situation and do not feed him wet food no matter what.

Biting:
□ DO NOT TOLERATE BITING
□ DO NOT HIT, TAP, SLAP, OR SAY “NO,”
□ USE THE WORDS “BITING BAD,” ONLY In a stern voice. DO NOT repeat these words. DO NOT use any other words as he’ll get confused and not know which set of words to respond to the command. Use it ONCE, then follow the next step if he doesn’t listen.
□ If this doesn’t work, you must WALK AWAY from him for 10-15 seconds (count in your head if you have to.) – if he continues to bite thereafter, repeat this step. There’s no “Chances,” it’s a ONE TIME bite, and STEP AWAY motion.
□ If you choose to do so, you can also put him in the bathroom with the door shut for 10-15 seconds during his biting time out. NO MORE. NO LESS than 10-15 seconds. MORE = He’ll forget why he got the time out. LESS = He’ll think he’s the boss and can get away with crying to escape his punishment.

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
1337f0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
It's been 10.5 weeks and he hasn't stopped teething.
Actually, he hasn't STARTED teething. Teething occurs around 4-6 months old - it's when they shed their puppy teeth and their adult teeth come in. Right now he's just being a typical bitey puppy because that's what puppies do until you teach them that it's not appropriate.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.