Puppy eating poop - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy eating poop

How do I get me new puppy to stop eating his own poop?? I have heard and read that putting pineapple in his food will make it taste bad....will this work?? Any other suggestions?? It is soooo disgusting!! I have only had him for a week he is 7 weeks old.
kaylahunsader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

I also got Thor when he was 7weeks old, didn't have that problem, but wait till your pup discovers cat poop......He's gonna be in for a treat, and you are really gonna be disgusted......
rjThor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
Don't give him access to it. Pick it up immediately. "
Many of our GSD's really really really really really really really thing poo is just the best tasting thing EVER!!!!

So if there is poo around, and you just expect the pup to NOT eat it, be like leaving chocolate all over my house and expecting me to leave it alone too, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! That chocolate is mine! And even if I know you would yell at me, I sure would sneak it when you weren't looking and it would be worth the yelling later on!

Management is all you can do. Remove all the poo as soon as it is on the ground.

Then start working on teaching a good 'leave it' command. You do NOT want to just say 'No'. "no' has no meaning and you aren't teaching what you WANT. Instead, we need to teach a real command with a specific meaning and 'leave it' is perfect for this situation.

The fastest way to teach a puppy is with a clicker too. So you may want to get a good look at this site (click here ---> Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!) )
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 01-05-2012 at 08:39 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info. I am going to try the pineapple thing in the food and I have already been working on leave it and poop is a no no, so we will see. He is not eating it inside the house, this is when he goes outside. We have a lot of space (411 acres) so picking it all up is not really an option I also have a great dane as well, so I would be picking up poop for forever! Thanks for the help.... Hopefully we can have him broken before long!
kaylahunsader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

We had the same problem with our Shiba Inu when she was a puppy. We tried the pineapple and all the different powders that you add to the food, but none of it worked. We just had to be quick to pick it up as soon as she finished and she eventually grew out of it. Now, she does her business and walks away.
mleun481 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They more or less grow out of it after awhile, at least mine did. Other than following them around the yard to pick up their deposit when it is fresh and verbally correcting them I am not much help.

And yes if any of mine come across cat poo anywhere in the yard they will scarf it down.

Good luck with your pup hopefully it will grow out of it soon.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

If they get diarrhea be sure to test for coccidia. Shadow got it from eating cat poop!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a Chihuahua that did/does this. I can give her some pills I found at Petsmart (I'm sorry but I can't remember what they are called) and she doesn't do it. I actually rarely catch her doing it anymore without the pills. It's chewable, safe, and they make it taste nasty. It will say on the box that it's specifically for that problem. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Waffle Iron

And to make things worse, when they come running up to you with their snout covered, wanting to lick you afterward...
Waffle Iron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

My pup used to eat his poop when he had soft stools from overfeeding. Even now at 1 year if he has a soft stool I have to watch him.

As for the tootsie rolls in the litter box, leave it leave it leave it! Helps, no cure.
Falkosmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.