Puppy eating poop - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #31 (permalink)

Just a wild thought. What about putting some cayenne pepper on it (ground)?
Edmond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #32 (permalink)

Oh, as disgusting as this is, I am so glad that I read this post, I thought there was something wrong with my girl due to her eating her own poop. My Lab never ate his own poop. I have tried giving her Potty Mouth, which worked for a while but once I stopped, after thinking I had cured her of this nasty habit, she's right back at it again.

Now, I'm giving her "Nasty Habit" but I'm pretty sure that I'm just wasting my time due to reading how so many other's have dogs who are doing the same.

I go out there with her and bring her back in the house after she has gone, then I go out and pick it up. If I try picking it up with her out there with me, she tries very hard to pick it up and run while chewing it....

So is it a German Shepherd thing? I know that there are other breeds who do it, but it sounds as if a lot of GSD's are into doing this big time. Does it go back to the wild, where they ate there poop so that predators couldn't find their dens? Just curious. I'm with the majority here in that picking it up right away if probably the best way to go.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #33 (permalink)

My pup did this too for a while. We tried pumpking but I don't think it really helped (He does love to eat the pumpkin and we still give him some). Since he is mainly an inside dog once he's finished doing his bussiness I immediately call him over and praise him for going outside an we go back in the house. After about a week he found his poop far less interesting. Now his thing is to eat sand and weeds in the yard.
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #34 (permalink)

Draven is 7 months old and never bothered with this but he's just started it ... at first it was frozen stuff that we missed and we took it away made him do some tricks played ball got his mind off the poop and treated him.

We pick it up as soon as we see him do it. But he eats it as soon as it comes out of his body now... I don't know what to do ... I love the dog... but I'm not sure I can live with the behavior I don't know what to do it sickens me to the point where I can't deal with it...

He just did it now I was out trying to get some of this massive snow storm off my tree's and he took a dump when I wasn't looking and comes back to watch me bang some snow off the tree's with huge fresh lump in his mouth casually chewing ...

There has to be a solution on this it makes me so mad and turns my stomach I just don't even want to look at him...that mouth gives kisses (not that I'm accepting them now :P)

I just don't get why he NEVER bothered with poop for 6.5 months of his life now he eats it every chance he can get if we're not right on top of him.

We tell him yuck or leave it or fooyi and if we catch him before he's "dining" then he'll leave it.

... K
TrentL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentL View Post
Draven is 7 months old and never bothered with this but he's just started it ... at first it was frozen stuff that we missed and we took it away made him do some tricks played ball got his mind off the poop and treated him.

We pick it up as soon as we see him do it. But he eats it as soon as it comes out of his body now... I don't know what to do ... I love the dog... but I'm not sure I can live with the behavior I don't know what to do it sickens me to the point where I can't deal with it...

He just did it now I was out trying to get some of this massive snow storm off my tree's and he took a dump when I wasn't looking and comes back to watch me bang some snow off the tree's with huge fresh lump in his mouth casually chewing ...

There has to be a solution on this it makes me so mad and turns my stomach I just don't even want to look at him...that mouth gives kisses (not that I'm accepting them now :P)

I just don't get why he NEVER bothered with poop for 6.5 months of his life now he eats it every chance he can get if we're not right on top of him.

We tell him yuck or leave it or fooyi and if we catch him before he's "dining" then he'll leave it.

... K
Sounds very bizzarre, my girl started eating her own droppings at around 5 months. She's now stopped at 7 months old. I can only attribute her stopping to us adjusting what we feed her and when. We ensure she is never overly hungry and we have switched to a RAW diet, with kibble only being fed as a back up plan. So she was probably eating her own excrement because she was simply hungry and whatever she was eating wasn't being properly digested...

Pups go through many phases, and every pup experiences them differently. So I wouldn't worry, it wil most likely pass. But it would not hurt to evaluate any changes that you might not have noticed in the way you feed him or what you feed him.

If all else fails you might want to switch his diet to something more digestable.
Alwaysaworkingdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

if you're with your pup when he goes to the
bathroom you should be able to stop him from eating
his poop. clean up immediately.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #37 (permalink)

Default Puppy eating poop

I mixed chunky canned pineapple (about a third can with every morning meal) and it helped a lot! Our trainer had the idea and I was much more eager to try that then spend the extra $$ on the expensive things they also sell for it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sadie0804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #38 (permalink)

Default Gross

Max went poop outside, came in and was put in his crate.
We took kids to school, came back and house smelled like poop.
There was a smudge in his cage- so we cleaned it up- assuming he stepped on it. He is always on a leash outside and we always immediately pick up and thow out his poop. Well apparently he pooped in crate and ate it - and threw up massive poop/puke twice.
It made me physically ill to clean it up.
This is new.
LauraJav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #39 (permalink)

Mine is eating the cats poop out of the litter box. When I catch him sticking his head in the box I just yell no and he gets out of it. I'm sure this is just a puppy thing but it's better to try and nip it in the bud now rather than later.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #40 (permalink)

Baron did this for the first week or so. Leave it worked for him.
Here's a poop story for you. Baron was chewing on a stick a couple weeks ago, so I went to take it out of his mouth.(didn't want him choking). It wasn't a stick.......
RiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.