Puppy eating poop - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #21 (permalink)

On a related note...

Our puppy (four months) loves eating fresh turds. We have been managing this by cleaning it up immediately, but I'm not sure how effective it is.

The problem I have is that after I've cleaned it up (from the grass), he'll go and munch on the grass that now has a nice pooey smell. Generally, he'll wait until I'm carrying that nice, big, warm, full to the brim bag to our waste bin (out of sight), and when I come back he's having a munch. Obviously, I give him a stern "no", and he generally backs off at that point and doesn't bother again.

Short of hand polishing each blade of grass, any ideas? Perhaps there is something I can spray on the area after picking it up that won't kill my grass?

Thanks
Orroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

It really is yukky
Sweet puppy breath gone in a second

I pick up straight away but sometimes Jenna is too quick for me
Today she found duck poo is good too

Last shepherd liked hers and rabbits

But they will also eat their own vomit and rotten stinky bones that have been buried to mature just right

Puppies are more work than babies I think

Still wouldn't trade a minute of it anyway
Jenna&Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

generally speaking, my pup is not that crazy with his own, he would just smell it, but he loves to taste the birds poop, dead roaches and bark, I have to dig into his throat to grab it out.
madflea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #24 (permalink)

Pineapple, pumpkin, meat tenderizer... NONE of this worked. The only thing I've seen work is an enzyme Petco carries called Fresh Digest. For those of us that work, we can't always be there to pick it up as soon as it hits the ground ;-)
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

My girls enjoy rabbit caviar as I call it. We had an infestation of rabbits awhile back until I decided to start trapping them. (23) to date. I also tried tobacco sauce on my plants to deter them but I found out they actually like their food spicy. My girls on the other hand did not do well on the spicy caviar. Pretty hard to find rabbit poop in a large yard.
ZAYDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

puppies usually always do that but if it becomes something he never gets out of maybe he is lacking something in his diet that he is getting out of the poop
KristenMarino13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member

Penny doesnt touch it outside, she will cat poop, but not her own or other dogs. She will eat it in the house though. From what Ive read it can be because she is trying to hide the evidence. We never catch her in the act inside

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

WD will eat his and the others' if given the chance. I have turned it into a game "find the poopies" by telling him this command when he found poop and praising him for it. Now he points them out and waits until I scoop them up. But eats them if I turn my back. They yard has never been so clean since we have him. He did outgrow eating all that s**t on walks though. It used to bother me a great deal, now I have excepted it. It reminds me that he is still a dog, no matter how I worship him (secretly, he doesn't need to know that).

Last edited by wolfy dog; 01-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #29 (permalink)

My pup seems to love his poop. He licks it. Sometimes he is to fast for me we immediately cover it with sand, though he starts sniffing around looking for it. It is disgusting any solutions?
Makki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to elyzabith

We have had our boy Lincoln for 5 months, since he was 4 1/2 months old. We never let him out alone for exactly this reason, he ALWAYS goes for his poop! The other day, miracle of miracles, my husband was out with him and doing some work around the yard when Lincoln came running up to him and barked. He basically led him to the spot where he had pooped and *gasp* left it alone! I'm not naive enough to believe he's done wanting to eat it, but it was a huge step in the right direction. It's these little milestones I really enjoy. LOL
elyzabith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.