How come they become 'rebellious' at 6 months? (Where did my perfect puppy go?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Default How come they become 'rebellious' at 6 months? (Where did my perfect puppy go?)

A few questions about command enforcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
By realizing it's not 'defiance' at all.

Instead it's the normal independence that a great pup should be showing!

It's why the vast majority of the smartest of us on this forum also get into dog classes with our pups at this age!

Dog classes work on exactly this to teach US how to teach our pup in the most appropriate and best manner.

In the meantime, working on our relationship with our pups is a huge help. So we may not have to just use food (though that's a good method) but also toys and our great bond to get our dog to want to come back.

Big deal is to teach that 'come' means come and then BE FREE! So we call our pup to us, get them near for a party, then they can run off and BE FREE again! If we call them and they come and we mostly corral them to return to the boring house all the time, they will (at least the smart ones ) will stop coming cause it means the fun ends!

You been doing alot of this kind of training ? click this ---->
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/162230-engagement-key-training.html
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

good to know...I want to make sure I'm ready for this stage.

read and bookmarked.
Sherlockhomey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have only done 3 over 10 years, now my fourth is coming up to the mark...

It seems they just have to test you... "Do I really have to" is the attitude. They know, but are slow to react. Recall is the most important one. When EVER you call him (her) and they come, mine with a specific whistle, HEAP PRAISE on them or give a treat.. As they get older it will not be necessary.

My Black GSDs get lost in the dark. As I am walking the three month old Shaka, I lose sight of Caesar now 77 lbs 6 1/2 month old.. Even though it is on my own horse property it is waaaaay reassuring to give my special whistle and him come bounding back to me...

Heap Praise, scratch and rub him all over as he wiggles around you, you don't even need treats at this age.. Appreciation and Praise, and they can't wait to get back to you..

Now a SIT command, and he will sometimes just stand tail wagging and look at me... It is as if he is thinking WHY? Or I DON'T WANT TO... I just raise my voice a little and he knows I mean it.. Treat rewards work there in training. What it is about is just a stage of them TESTING YOU and your AUTHORITY.. At this point in training, it is not a test of them, it is a test of you...

Like a rebellious teenager... heh he... hope a help to you..

lone Ranger in Oz
lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

My girl is coming up at that soon she's hitting the 5 month mark and let me tell you my patience haha. She is so respectful of my husband for sure but me when she's done listening she gets into play stance...Do you know how hard it is to hide my smirk. My husband then "comes to the rescue" and tells her Sittz butt goes down ears back tail wagging WTH???? lol
Phoenix14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't know where to post this! But I need help! I have a 6week old black GSD we just got him on Sunday. He acted like he favored one hind leg a little but was walking okay. Well Monday evening he was kinda limping and would whine when you messed with his hips. Well yesterday morning he couldn't walk hardly he would kind of drag his hind legs. He hasnt been out of my sight so idk what could have happened. Unless he maybe tried to jump off of my sons bed or something or got stung by a bee? Anyway I took him to the vet yesterday and he said he didn't feel anything out of place at all and that it's probably bruising he prescribed rimadyl 1/2 a tablet once a day. Well now he's dragging his left leg. He's peeing and pooping fine, and eating and drinking fine also. What should I do? I'm soooo worried.
Brittvictoria8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittvictoria8 View Post
I don't know where to post this! But I need help! I have a 6week old black GSD we just got him on Sunday. He acted like he favored one hind leg a little but was walking okay. Well Monday evening he was kinda limping and would whine when you messed with his hips. Well yesterday morning he couldn't walk hardly he would kind of drag his hind legs. He hasnt been out of my sight so idk what could have happened. Unless he maybe tried to jump off of my sons bed or something or got stung by a bee? Anyway I took him to the vet yesterday and he said he didn't feel anything out of place at all and that it's probably bruising he prescribed rimadyl 1/2 a tablet once a day. Well now he's dragging his left leg. He's peeing and pooping fine, and eating and drinking fine also. What should I do? I'm soooo worried.
You really need to start a new thread for your question. There is a health section on the forum, that would be a great place for it. The folks that can help you with your question may not read this thread.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.