The wait is on....... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Talking The wait is on.......

Just dropped the deposit in the mail. I knew it wouldnt take long for us to decide Klaus needed a sibling. If all goes right we will take delivery of a female all black GSD the end of December! Plenty of time for us to figure out a good name. We are getting the pup from Coyote Creek Ranch Texas. Anyone have experience with them?
KlausvonCrump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Isn't Klaus only 4-6 months old?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You really should wait until your current puppy is well behaved, trained and more mature before bringing in another puppy. You also need to form a strong bond with your current puppy and that takes time.

Puppies have a naughty teenager stage between 8-12 months and that is when you need to up your training and be consistant.

I would wait until your current pup is at least 1.5 years old before bringing in another puppy.

Puppies close in age can cause them to fight as they mature, not to mention that they will both be seniors at the same time, seniors are VERY expensive and they could pass away within months of each other and that is double the heartbreak.

I think you should really think about this.

I'm just trying to help.

Last edited by LaRen616; 10-18-2011 at 09:41 AM.
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Seriously.

Yes, Klaus is almost 5 months old.

To put things in perspective, we dont have any children and dont plan to. Not that is anyone's business, but we have a ton of time to dedicate to the dogs. For the next year and a half my wife is in school so she is home most of the time. Since we are getting a second dog she took the spring off to be home full time with them.

The monitary concerns are not going to be a problem for us.

Again I really do appreciate the reality check from you.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Congratulations.

If you had asked for advice, I would have advised against it for the reasons cited above, but most importantly for issues down the road. I personally do NOT want two seniors. You're going to have two 13-year olds, two 12-year olds, and most likely two deaths close together. Right now I'm watching my boy grow old and slow down. I'm watching him develop health problems and I'm spending a LOT of money to keep him healthy. I couldn't imagine going through illness, joint problems, incontinence, infirmity, and death with two beloved dogs at the same time. I prefer having them spaced apart so you have one to comfort you when the other passes. Having lost a beloved dog last year, in all seriousness I might have gone out in the cornfield and shot myself if it weren't for my other dog that needed me. Losing two within months of each other would have done me in.

That's the advice I would have given you. Since the check is in the mail and the pup is on her way, all I can say is congratulations.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, then I wish you the best of luck.

Blacks are my favorite.

Just make sure that you spend alot of one on one time with each puppy, if they spend too much time together they will bond with each other and choose each other over you.

I am talking from experience, I raised 2 siblings, male and female, at the same time and it was extremely difficult and I would not do it again.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the pointer. I had considered that before we made the decision. We will even be walking them seperately in the begining.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausvonCrump View Post
Thanks for the pointer. I had considered that before we made the decision. We will even be walking them seperately in the begining.

The first 1-2 days my 2nd pup got here I walked her with my 5 month old. She got used to the leash and walking on it like she had been doing it all her life, since then we have been walking them separate most of the time and things are going well. It is a ton of work - not just double IMO.
Iannotti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausvonCrump View Post
Thanks for the info. Seriously.

Yes, Klaus is almost 5 months old.

To put things in perspective, we dont have any children and dont plan to. Not that is anyone's business, but we have a ton of time to dedicate to the dogs. For the next year and a half my wife is in school so she is home most of the time. Since we are getting a second dog she took the spring off to be home full time with them.

The monitary concerns are not going to be a problem for us.

Again I really do appreciate the reality check from you.

It sounds like you have thought this out and really are ready to have two youngsters! Sorry if it felt like members were ganging up on you but we see alot of people jump into getting another puppy WITHOUT thinking it through and then the pup ends up being handed off to another home.

Be sure to spend lots of one-on-one time with each dog. Taking them to separate training classes is a good idea.

I got two young dogs at the same time (one foster failure and one was given to me by the shelter) and one ended up bonding more with the other dog than me.

Of course she is an Alien-Pricess-Diva-Dog-Corgi mix so that may have been part of the problem.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

KlausvonCrump you have opened your post by an excited announcement that you have just dropped a cheque in the mail to secure a pup. Then you close your post by asking forum members if anyone has any experience with the kennel that you have chose to deal with, Coyote Creek Ranch in Texas.

I hope that you won't be disappointed.

I would have asked about the kennel and waited for feedback first before committing.

Most important thing then is what did you find out about them.

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.