When to spay/neuter? 6 months? 18 months? Never? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When to spay/neuter? 6 months? 18 months? Never?

Sorry if this topic seems a little overdone

The only reason I started a thread was because...I keep finding a bunch of different information!

Technically my puppy could be spayed right now. She is about 3 months old. But should I wait? Or get it done before her first heat? I do know there are health benefits to that. But how significant are they?

Is it better to wait after she is a year? Two years? I don't want to mess up her growth, or give her orthopedic issues that she would not have had. Yet if she goes into heat, I don't know how my (both neutered, but still) males will react.

Many GSD breeder health guarantees are void if the dog is S/N before 2 years. Is this because of the growth issue?

I think 6mos-1yr will be fine, but I am still concerned about her growth.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-17-2011 at 09:34 AM.
TankGrrl66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

The answers to all your questions can be found on these previous threads:

Verdict on Spay/Neuter Age...

What Age To Spay Female, What Age To Neuter Male

At what age would you spay a female GSD?

When to Spay?

Best time to spay??

When Do You Spay/Neuter or Do You Not Spay/Neuter?
(Comes with a poll).

Should people neuter/spay their dogs?

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-17-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!!!!!! That really helped out.

BTW...is there a way I can quick search the forums or would I have to go through each page until I found what I was looking for?
TankGrrl66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

There's a google custom search box right above your original post that will search for key words on this board only. There's also a search button on the black bar above and to the right of the google search. I usually go to "advanced search" for more options so I can narrow down my search more. You can also go to a particular forum and scan through the recent threads, but sometimes I don't remember what forum I've seen something in. You can view your previous posts and the threads you've started from that same search button.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

We decided to wait for one heat cycle. So our pup was spayed and tacked at the same time, at 10 months.
crisco78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wondering if the partial spay allows the hormones to stay after spaying then why now spay at 6 months?? I cant see my pup allowing the diaper to stay on in the ex-pen,crated or anytime I am turned away from her. She is 4 months now. I have a huge desicion to make.
wildrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Puppy humping and neutering

My pup will be 5 months old at the end of the month.. today, at the dog park, he humped one day many times and one other for a bit. I hate to see dogs hump and I stopped him when seen. MY question. Can a 5 month old male pup already be exhibiting sex actions? Might a neuter fix this now? I wanted to wait till 8-9 months so my pup could get some growth but humping is not something I like to see. Also, I think I need to get his hips xrayed, ( some bunny hopping) and I was told that 6 months was the right time for that. How about doing the neuter/hip x-ray at 6 months? or wait a while more? thanks
luke4275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Humping is just a normal dog behavior. One of our worst humpers is a girl. She humps her brother all the time.
That said, neuter when you and your vet decide, because you'll get 50 different responses here
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Great poll going on for the forum...

When Do You Spay/Neuter or Do You Not Spay/Neuter?

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default time to neuter

I sent my pup , who will be 5.5 months old in a few days, to a trainer bec I wanted some help with whining, jumping. digging,chasing the cat, etc.. I know perhaps I should train at home and the trainer said that after 4 days at her ranch. she believes my pup will train better at home.,so this is the plan. My question. today the trainer told me that my pup attacked her 15 month old spayed girl. They had been best friends when he arrived on Friday and this morning, when he was taken off leash. he ran to her ,pinned her down and punctured her neck. One of her other service dogs stopped it all. The trainer seems to think it was aggression and hormones, as the pup had his body in a humping position. I forgot exactly how she described it. I was planning on waiting till 6 months to neuter so I can get a good xray of his hips. the trainer thinks I should neuter now. I find her report shocking as my pup is usually quite docile and will be leary of some dogs, though he will play quite well with other pups but never is he the tough player in the pair. and I have never seen any aggression whatsoever.. any thoughts assuming her reporting is correct? She does no negative training ., besides verbal OFF and light tugs when whining, etc. only verbal AND lots of praise.. no treats,. so I don't think her training had any effect on my pup's behavior My guy has done very nice sits and downs, and stays, though he still whines but I do think the trainer has a brain. help...
luke4275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.