So you think you want a HIGH drive puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Default So you think you want a HIGH drive puppy?

You better also know you've got a ton of extra free time on your hands for the next year (or years ) Frankly, I thiink even some mid-drive GSD's have behaviors like this pup...and it's way more than many people are prepared for when they buy that adorable bundle sleeping in a pile with it's littermates.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 05-05-2011 at 10:54 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dogs/puppies just have energy! Tim is still ready to go after chasing squirrels in our five acre field, digging for moles, helping clean stalls, a two mile jog, swimming in the creek, chasing the jolly ball across the yard 20 times, dog school. My sisters labs live on a 40 acre farm, they get to swim in ponds, run the woods and run around all day. They basically keep going until 10 pm, when they crash.(But, if somebody wanted to play, they would be game!)

Generally, I don't think you can wear out a dog. Humans don't have the stamina. LOL!!
ponyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
Dogs/puppies just have energy! Tim is still ready to go after chasing squirrels in our five acre field, digging for moles, helping clean stalls, a two mile jog, swimming in the creek, chasing the jolly ball across the yard 20 times, dog school. My sisters labs live on a 40 acre farm, they get to swim in ponds, run the woods and run around all day. They basically keep going until 10 pm, when they crash.(But, if somebody wanted to play, they would be game!)

Generally, I don't think you can wear out a dog. Humans don't have the stamina. LOL!!
Agreed! It took me 4 hours to wear out Jazz. That included a walk along the Canal for an hour, a dog park along the canal for an hour, swimming for an hour, and then we travelled to another dog park for an hour. It was a gorgeous day and I loved it but wow does he ever have energy!
fuzzybunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Its currently impossible to tire nash out. My mutt just finally started getting to the point where he will get tired after going to work all day (dog daycare) and then playing fetch for 20 minutes or so and a long walk later in the evening. Nash can go all day and all night if I let him.
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)
Melgrj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
Physically, no. Mentally, of course you can. It's all about the right mixture of both.

Just ask Kaiser who slept all afternoon/evening after spending a couple of hours socializing with lots of people and dogs but had energy to play with his sister after a 7 mile hike.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I watched the video about the high drive puppy, and it felt as though I was watching Brutus again, when he was a puppy. Now to add the video where the puppy rips all the boxes into 10000 pieces.
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

That first video is SO much like my corgi and little GSD. They are night and day. I cantvwait til she gets her second set of vaccines so I can take her out of the home for more physical and mental stimulation!
TashaBurr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

That first video is what Sasha is like now! LOL definitely wish I had checked out things better before I adopted her, and the only way I can tire her out is to play hours..hours a day just with her. Luckily she isn't destructive but does upset my other dogs. There is someone wanting her for possible drug detection training...giving it some thought.
There is a Leerburg dog in her pedigree.
Kitty, Siamese, B.10/11
MoJo, Aussie, B.2/12

Max, Great Dane, B. 12/01 RIP

krystyne73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

"So you think you want a high drive puppy" --- That is HAUS!! I have had Shepherds all of my life, but the drive that he has is unimaginable. My husband always jokes that he gives him heart palpitations.
SableHaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am starting to understand what High Drive means. Sasha is "on" all of the time. She won't quit physically if it wasn't for the fact that I have to put limits on her. I am afraid she would kill herself if left to her own resources. She never stops, even in the heat. What I find interesting is the more mentally challenged she is the more tired she finally gets. So, mental challenges to me, is more important than just the physical for these high drive dogs. Admittedly, she is wearing me out, mentally!! I need to figure out more challenges for her. She is too darn smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.