7 month old feeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 7 month old feeding

My 7 month old pup is a little on the thin side- I am now feeding him 5 cups per day od Fromms large breed puppy food- in 3 meals 2/1.5/1.5 cups. He is always hungary. Bag call for 4 cups.
Also noticed that his late afternoon poop is usually cowpies. This I am sensitive to because I just lost my 3.5 year old gsd to IBD and its complications.
armauro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

That sounds like ALOT of kibble. Especially since the kibble is a fairly high calorie quality food.

The afternoon cowpie could be because it's too much food. When we over feed our dogs too much they can't absorb it all and they produce pudding poop. Exercise can also cause poop to become loose if he has a big run before he produces that poop. If poop is consistently loose and he continues to loose weight there is the possibility of parasites, or he's not properly absorbing his food- so you could look into EPI.

Does he just feel a little thin, or is actually clinically too thin? The reason I ask is that MANY GSDs at that age go through a thin and lanky stage that is appropriate for their development. Tag went through a period where we called him Skeletor because he felt so thin under his coat. This is Tag at 10 months...You can see that he's pretty thin and not at all filled out.

Cade (on left) was skinny at that age too.

Anka was also pretty thin. AND she didn't want to eat. If I tried to feed her more, she just wouldn't eat it. Sort of to say "No thank you, I've had enough"

Argos was not. But that was because I fed him like he was a Christmas goose. He was actually a little fat
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JKlatsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Thin is good and @6-8 months you sprout up quite a bit so he may just look thinner to you.
ZAYDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry about it, some dogs are ALWAYS hungry. I have found with the males I've had, they mature late, and usually have what I call "the uglies",,long lean lanky, until around 1.5 - 2 years old.

Mine at that age and now as an adult gets 2 cups twice a day, she'd eat a whole bag if I let her

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would call him thin and lanky- body looks small in relation to his tall legs
armauro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

those males especially, do all kinds of wonky things when growing,,heads big, compared to body, long legs that don't fit )

I'll never forget one of my previous gsd's, Jake, many moons ago,,I had taken a picture of him with this huge knuckle bone in his mouth, a standing pic of him turning looking at me, I thought MY GOD, good thing the AC knows me cause that dawg looks so malnourished it isn't funny LOL,,espec with this big ole bone in his mouth LOL. Everything finally caught up with itself and he filled out when he was around 2

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Best would be to post some pictures so we can see. Out in the sun is best, from the side and even from the top looking down. The ones people posted to show their fit and lean pups are good angles.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Karma is 7 months and looks more gangly than thin ! Her legs just seem impossibly long sometimes when I look at her and when I wash her my god she looks like an over-sized sewer rat. Check out the legs here !!! ;

I had to get her heart-worm shot done the other day at the vet and I mentioned she was a bit of a fussy eater and asked is she was tracking OK on the scales. She weighed in at 23kg which he said is just fine apparently. I am guessing when her body matures a bit more she will grow into/onto her legs LOL. Karma looks very similar in build to Tag and Anka in their photos but then I also got this shot on the weekend and she looks awesome !

Do you feed your dog ANY raw meat ? I think it is important when they are growing to get some beef and eggs etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GSD Karma (f) born 29.5.2010 passed 22.12.11
GSD Jirra (f) born 27.12.11

kidkhmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Kaiser is also very thin at 7 months. He is slowly but surely gaining weight the vet says. It just takes time..
Attached Thumbnails
7 month old feeding-kaiser59.jpg  
KaiserGSDLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello
I have 7 months old gsd she is not eating well , morning I give her 2 cup dry food royal canin , afternoon want to feed I see still the food leftover in evening I give raw food lamb heart liver lung , sometime she eat some time she want each day raw food I change chicken neck, lamb meat , tripe , liver, et c. Any sugg estion pls feel free.
Omer
mohammed omer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.