Getting my gsd female spayed help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Getting my gsd female spayed help

my female gsd is 6 months and im wondering when the proper time to get her spayed is? any suggestions? thanks
Slickfilip23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Many of us do it around 6 months. Specially if you have male dogs in the home, don't want the mess of a heat cycle, or are worried you may have an accidental pregnancy.

BUT..............

If you can put up with a few heat cycles, and KNOW there's no chance of an accidental pregnancy, you may want to read the following sites:

Canine Sports Productions: Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I cannot find a link, so if someone could cooberate this, my trainer mentioned that Cornell did a study that spaying/neutering too early increases aggression issues, especially in German Shepherds.

He advised that I let my female go through a couple of heat cycles was better for her mental and personality development. I was worried about the mammery cancer issue but it seems that waiting just a year or so is pretty safe. I'm going to let her go through one cycle and then a few months at least before I have her spayed.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

There are many opinions on this. Weigh the pros and cons of waiting until a first or second heat and go with what is best for you and your dog. We spayed our girls at 9 and 12 months...it was hard to keep them inactive for two weeks afterwards...something I did not take into account!
JudynRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

One of the books I read about German Shepherds said let a female go through her first heat cycle and then some time after that, then spay her. You want to make sure she grows up right.

But yeah, there are many opinions on this matter. I highly recommend you do research or talk to your vet.
GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My experience is no changes in personalty at all after spaying. I have had 4 females all spayed at 7 months old and none were fat or got aggressive, no change what so ever, all grew to be healthy standard 70 to 75 pound GSDs.
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
HeidiW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I second HeidiW experience, as we had our young lady spayed at 6 months, and she too is very laided back, loves people and especially children. Her weight at just over 14 months, is 73#.
Okie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Experience with 3 females spayed at 5-6 months. All grew to normal size and were/are sweethearts.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

I think this whole Neuter/Spay thing has become a debate in the same line as abortion, same sex marriage, politics, religion, etc. Everyone has their own opinion, and feel very strongly about what they think is right and will fight to the death to prove their point =).

I believe that if you go researching the topic BUT feel strongly on a certain side you are going to find more information on that side on the debate and pay less attention to the side of the debates you don’t agree with.

I think it comes down to lifestyle. If you can handle having an unfixed dog, protect them from having unplanned pregnancy and feel strongly about not getting them neutered, then go for it. I truly believe that most people just aren’t that responsible and careful. I have worked for rescues my entire life and have seen this myself. I am tired of having people argue with me the importance of not neutering only to have them ask me later on in life if I could find homes for their puppies “opppps”. This has happened quite a few times over the last two decades.

It all depends on how responsible you are. If you have ever had an accidental litter and are still strongly against neutering I think there is a problem there and you should reconsider you opinion. I personally will always neuter just because I am too active, my dogs go to daycare, and they have play groups, run off leash in parks and play. We are too playful for me to be so careful. I have always neutered my dogs and have never had any problems related to the cancers and bone issues they say your dog wont get with a spay or neuter.

I have a feeling there will be a million more of these threads. It’s such a hot topic right now. I really believe it comes down to responsibility and protection since from my prospective both sides pretty much have the same amount of pros and cons just to me, the chance of an accidental litter and so many irresponsible owners far outweighs any pro that keeping them intact has for me.
Cats: Capone, Bugsy and Bonnie
Navah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I am trying to decide if I neuter my dog.....and myself !

kidkhmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.