Too attached? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Too attached?

We've only had Zoe for two weeks and she's now 12 weeks old. While she isn't fearful of strangers anymore and is becoming more social when we're out she follows EVERYWHERE. I go to the bathroom...she comes to, I go upstairs...she follows, and wherever I sit...she's ALWAYS right there. If I close a door she frantically scratches at it until I come out, if I get the mail she's howling at me though the window, and she insists on being no more than a foot away from me at all times. I actually have to take her to her water when she is panting because she won't leave me to go drink. This was all cute last week when she was settling in, but now I wonder should I be weaning her off of me a little? I take her daily to see her mom, dad, and brother; and while they are over the moon to see her she sits by my side only playing if I go outside with her. Is this normal?
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: Too attached?

Yes. My dog is 1yr & he WILL NOT let me out of his sight.
EVER!
Are you a female? If so, that MIGHT be why.
My dog is TOTALLY different around my boyfriend than he is around me.
No, its not bad. As long she eats by herself.....
Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you crate her? I would start giving her some alone time(start small incriments, work your way to a couple of hours) she needs to get use to being independant to some extent.
Separation issues are not fun to overcome, and dogs can get destructive when they go thru it.
This site is good for developmental stages:
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/Dev...talStages.html
the 21 to 49th day stages, there is a time to do the separations, for their own well-being. Your pup is past that window, but it is not too late!
GSD's are velcro dogs, but you really want the dog to be secure and confident at the same time.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Congratulations, you have a German Shepherd.

Seriously though, we were just talking about this on the Shutzhund forum. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=1#Post1335212

It is pack drive, the drive to be with the owner/handler. Some have higher pack drive than others. As long as she is not cowering from the other dogs or people or acting fearful, I wouldn't worry. Just make sure she is getting lots of socialization.

Also, Jane's advice is really good!
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose
Reflections on my Dog- God/Dog Blog
Ruthie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Zoe is still a baby so you are all she knows right now. If I were her, I wouldn't want to lose sight of you either!

Some dogs get very attached to one person. Right now, Elmo is sitting by my feet even though my husband and the other dogs are downstairs. He is always by side.

I'm just curious. Are you crate training her? I think that prevents the separation anxiety a bit. They learn to be calm when they are by themselves.
Elmo's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We have a 5 foot gate that separates the kitchen from the rest of the house. When I run out Zoe and my lab stay in the kitchen but she's never been alone for more than an hour. I am finishing my degree online so I am home with her all the time which is the problem. I take her to pick up and drop off the kids at school each day which is a 10 block walk and helps to socialize her, she comes to the park with us, and even on my kids playdates- everywhere but the grocery store pretty much. I guess I need to get out more,lol
Old 01-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Since some training methods recommend leashing your pup to you all day............sounds like you have it without tripping over a leash. It wouldn't concern me as being too attached EXCEPT...........

if you aren't also socializing the heck out of her OUTSIDE the home. Taking her out and about to all your friends homes. Puppy classes. Out to meet other healthy friendly dogs and people. Finding event like this ( click here to see click!)

You want her to be comfortable and know you are safety and to be relied on. But not to the EXCLUSION of the rest of the world. So at the same time she's bonding to you, you must make sure to pack her in the car and get out and away from the home to get her general socialization rolling too.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DaniellecI guess I need to get out more,lol
LOL. That may be a good start. Leaving them alone at this age for bits of time teaches them that you will be back. You are not leaving forever.

Where does she sleep?

Even if you are home, you may want to look into crate training. They learn to love it like their own little home.
Elmo's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Those were both great links thank guys. Zoe has pack drive for sure, but I'll be leaving her for short periods daily and of course continueing our socialization. I am so proud of her so far- she is housebroken, comes, sits, listens to no, down, and can stay for 5-10 seconds. She loves her treats, but before she takes my reward I get kisses and snuggles first which I love. I guess I can close the bathroom door now and close my shower curtain- actually maybe I will kitchen her daily when I shower as one of her alone times?

I won't hear her cries as much and hopefully these short periods will be good or her.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm bad....she sleeps IN bed with me and my lab,lol

We do have a crate in the kitchen with door open. If I'm in the kitchen she'll sleep in it while I'm cooking and doing HW with my kids. She was crated at the breeders each night so she's used to in and the few times I have left she is always asleep in there when I come home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.