German Shepherds vs Golden Retrievers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default German Shepherds vs Golden Retrievers

Hi all!

There's a chance that I might have the opportunity to bring a dog or puppy into my life. I have always been fond of German Shepherds. I used to work for a vet clinic, and every German Shepherd I met I absolutely fell in love with. I haven't been around them THAT much, however. I did grow up around Golden Retrievers. I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight as to what behavior/personality traits I should anticipate from the GSD as compared to the Golden Retriever. I am aware of the certain amount of aloofness that German Shepherds apparently have as compared to the Golden's extremely unconditional friendliness, but I'm sure there are a lot more differences out there that I'm unaware of.
Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: German Shepherds vs Golden Retrievers

Well a dog is a dog is a dog! Everyone of them learns in similar fashion, some faster than others, some have different instincts than others.

You have already hit one of the biggest differences. GSD's are not the whole world's best buddy like a GR can be.

Both breeds are energetic and require a committment of time to exercise, socialize and train.

I think one of the biggest things new GSD owners face is not really understanding how protective a GSD can be. Any dog will be somewhat protective but a GSD wsa bred to protect and serve. They are very people oriented and will look out for you. They need to know what the boundaries are and what is acceptable. They are not push button dogs.

Then again, I know several GR's that are not push button either. So I think as long as you understand the basic character of the breed and know they need trainig and exercise and socialization and need to have a job, you will do fine.

See a dog is a dog is a dog!

Welcome to you and hope you get a GSD! They are the best so maybe a dog is not just any dog after all!

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hey I just noticed you registered in 2005 but only have 3 posts. I guess you have been here awhile!!

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

German Shepherd puppies are called "carpet sharks" for a reason! Most folks don't get thru puppyhood without at least a few scars from the puppy teeth, and when they bite they bite HARD. And depending on the personality of the pup, it can be VERY difficult to get them to stop. (Some pick up on the "no biting" very quickly, others it takes MONTHS.)

They are called German "SHEDDERS" for a reason too! Granted Goldens shed too, but no where NEAR like a typical GSD does.

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

This is coming from a person with both ...

You almost cannot compare the 2 breeds b/c they are so different and on opposite sides of the spectrum. It would be easier to compare the difference between a GSD and say Doberman, b/c they are both similar in nature.

GSD's are more protective and not so friendly with strangers, whereas Goldens just love everyone. They both get to be good size .. Cooper is 100 pounds which is very large for a male golden and Ava weighs 85 pounds which is also a good size for a female shepherd.

When you have a GSD at your side people respect the breed when you have a Golden at your side they see a big loveable teddy bear.

I absolutely adore and love both breeds.

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
GSDgirlAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with Tracy ... Ava sheds for more and worse than Cooper! And, those teeth ... OUCH!!! It took Ava longer to catch on to "No Biting" as she has a different personality than Cooper, Ava is very hard headed whereas Cooper is not.

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
GSDgirlAL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, most of the Shepherds I have come across have been adults, and didn't have any issues with teething/biting. However, a friend of mine got a puppy in October and I'm pretty sure she's part GSD. She does this alligator chomp thing. They try to pop her and tell her not to bite, so she's gotten into the habit of running up to you and trying to chomp you really quick before running away, ouch!

I have also found that German Shepherds seem to be a LOT more expensive than Golden Retrievers... I would say it's because there aren't as many GSD's, but I'm pretty sure they are pretty close in population. I'm in Oklahoma, maybe they're just not as common in the south? lol
Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have to say my golden needs A LOT of attention. All he cares about is the family and getting love. He is by far the most loving dog I have EVER seen. I mean I can set food right in front of him and he won’t even look at it if there is a chance of getting some attention.

Also I have to say I think there is a bit of a misconception about goldens. A lot of people I have known have been under the impression that they are too loving and passive to be protective. I have found that to not be the case at all with our golden. After the hurricane our fence was down so we were sharing a backyard with the neighbor. Anyway, the husband/neighbor walked out of his house while my wife and daughter were in the back yard. Our golden took off at the neighbor showing teeth and all with no intentions of letting him get close to my family. I was a bit impressed to be honest because when we have people over he is very accepting of them right off the bat so long as we are there. I never would have expected him to react that way. Even better was that he came back to us when we called him…with one eye on the neighbor of course. I’m not a fan of aggressive dogs but I did like that he felt the need to protect the family.

I will say this Goldens will dig. We had issues with him digging until he got to be a few years old. He was also VERY hyper when he was younger.

Goldens are great dogs but I can’t compare them to shepherds so much because it’s been a while since I owned a full blooded shepherd….I have a mix now. My next dog will be a GSD for sure.

Goldens are Shepherds will probably be all I ever own from here on out….
Brandon Coker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I considered both breeds as well because I wanted to get a lovable, people friendly dog that I could train to do Therapy work with. I am very happy I was swayed into getting a show line GSD. I love my girl to pieces.

I read all about the "German Shredders" and "Little Gators" bla bla bla. But we have been very lucky with her. But my girl will be 6 months old this weekend and she's yet to chew a thing. *knock on wood*

We did start training at 9 weeks old and she gets lots of attention, socialization, and training, every single day. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. We are always doing something to wear her out if/when she has energy to expend. This can be rare. She is quite lazy for a puppy and would chose a belly rub most days over a lengthy game of fetch.

She has been known for stealing a slipper (she loves my big yellow Mickey Mouse slippers), but just tries to play keep away or uses them as pillows. She knows "Drop it" and "Off" and hands whatever she has in her mouth over right away.

She gets along well with other dogs but has shown some protectiveness over me with people when we have been out. She has trained herself take that stance that everybody associates with the breed and guard me when there is a noise. She also somehow trained herself to circle around my side and sit between my legs. We call this "Between." These were things I didn't plan on training her, but she just did. She loves me...

I have noticed that unlike my previous dogs she is viewed as being "scary" by some. I don't think this is as prevalent with GRs. I feel like I come across people that love the breed or hate the breed. There has been minimal middle ground where I live. It bothers me when parents scare their kids about it, but for adults being scared, I kind of like it, especially when we are hiking or when we are out on night walks.

Admittedly, I am one of those people that never liked the breed, wanted the breed, etc. Now that I have my Tetley, I cannot imagine having anything other than a GSD.

Queue the music from Shrek: "Now, I'm a believer!"

Tetley - GSD 1 Yr Old
Cheddar - Orange Tabby Cat
Cannoli - B&W Ragdoll Cat
Tetley's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

To be honest with you I have a Lab and she is lovable but more aggressive then My shepherd. Don't get me wrong Brady would protect me in a heartbeat but I think he is friendlier then some Goldens I have met.

My father has a golden and a shepherd let me tell you his GR attacked Brady when he was a pup and beats the crap out of their shepherd he is very aggressive but he is a love bug when he is alone.

I will only have Shepherds IMO

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
littledmc17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.