AKC dog name - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default AKC dog name

I'm a little confused about the naming process of my dog through the AKC. I went online filled out the info and the name I picked "Bear" was used previously. Does that mean I can't name my dog Bear? Also, I see people have Von and Vom in the dogs names, what's that about? What exactly will I need to fill out in the AKC form for the name?
usaflm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: AKC dog name

Well, there is a tradition among one school of breeders that has their first litter's pups all start with "A" (Anne, Astra, America, Amanda, Arthur) vom "Kennel Name". Next litter names start with "B". Another school likes to have a theme for each litter.

So the straight name "Bear" might be taken but Cabot's Crazy Bear probably isn't. Or Bear vom Haus Cabot may be available.

You can always use "Bear" as his call name regardless of what his registered name turns out to be
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 02:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Usually with the register name there will be a few names to it, for example my dogs registered name is Highplains Christmas Glitter. When you buy a pup from a breeder they will have you use their kennel name in your dog's registered name, Von and Vom will be in the registered name because usually thats part of the breeders kennel name.
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
emjworks05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

are you saying dogs can't have the same registered name with the AKC?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadare you saying dogs can't have the same registered name with the AKC?
I believe they do not allow duplication of names. Too confusing if there were 2,000 'Bears' in their databases.

But all this means is you just have to think a bit harder. You can still have Bear in the name, or even just have 'Bear' be your dog's call name (my dog's 'real' name is Beretta vom Wildhaus but her call name and how everyone knows her is Bretta Lee...) But the cool thing is you can come up with some neat family name like Jenkintown's Black Bear or .........

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee
Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadare you saying dogs can't have the same registered name with the AKC?
I believe they do not allow duplication of names. Too confusing if there were 2,000 'Bears' in their databases.
Actually the AKC permits thirty-seven (37) dogs of each breed to be assigned the same name. The AKC will assign a Roman Numeral at the end of each duplicate name ~ so your dog may be for example ~ Bear Vom ____ VI. There can be thousands of "Bears" listed as long as the rest of the name is somewhat different.

You can check out this AKC page for instructions on picking an AKC name ~ http://www.akc.org/reg/namingofdog.cfm

It also includes information on including the breeders registered kennel name on the registration. Some breeders require it to be included and you cannot use it unless the breeder authorizes it to be included.

Time spent with your dog is never wasted!

Abby GSD
Chance GSD
Copper - Beagle
sgtmom52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had to pick out a V name to go with Von Hena C.So AKC knows her as Velma Von Hena C but we call her Athena.Our friends dog was already AKC named Diva Von or Vom KleinenHain but they call her Bailey.

Athena 5/4/08 http://www.dogster.com/dogs/925796
Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

allieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try to make the name as unique as possible.

Use the breeder's kennel name (with permission) - FUZZY BUTTS BEAR.

Some people include their names in the dog's registered name. For example, BEAR JONES OF CABOT or MOLLY'S ARKANSAS TEDDY BEAR.

There's one breeder of American line show dogs who works the name BEAR into the registered names of all their dogs - ... BEARITNEY SPEARS ... COLOR BY NUMBEAR ... DESBEARADO ... REMEMBEAR ME.

There are some whose dogs call names have nothing to do with their registered name. I had one dog registered as MANSHA'S WHITE RUSSIAN, who had the call name of YUKON.

Good luck!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: usaflmAlso, I see people have Von and Vom in the dogs names, what's that about?
Von vs Vom. To my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong but "von" simply means "of" while "vom" is a contraction meaning "of the".

Lakeguy929 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

to add to the von or vom confusion. when spelling von or vom are you suppose to capitalize the "V"????

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lakeguy929
Quote:
Originally Posted By: usaflmAlso, I see people have Von and Vom in the dogs names, what's that about?
Von vs Vom. To my understanding and please correct me if I am wrong but "von" simply means "of" while "vom" is a contraction meaning "of the".
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.