Warning!!! Dangerous dogs. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Warning!!! Dangerous dogs.

Okay, all you experts out there may be able to give me some advice on this situation. Right now I am really ticked off.

About a month ago we received an orange card in our mail box:

<span style="color: #FF0000">DOG WARNING CARD

DANGEROUS DOGS

2 LARGE GERMAN SHEPHERDS

Do not deliver mail if you feel endangered by an animal.
</span>
What the f*****

I went to the post office and talked to one of their managers who said that the mail man had tried to deliver a piece of mail that needed a signature but was afraid of the dogs so would not come to our door. He left the little notice in the mail box instead.

Not a problem, people are afraid of dogs. I asked her why he had not just left the notice instead of leaving a big orange warning card? She just laughed it off and said he is probably just really afraid of dogs.

My dogs are never outside without me and there has never been any problem with the mail box or mail man. They have an invisible fence that keeps them about 5ft from the mail box. They love everyone and they has never been an issue with anyone.

So yesterday I go to pick up the mail and lo and behold here is another orange card now I am really pissed. What is this guys problem? The dogs were inside when he delivered the mail yesterday. He has delivered our mail for the past 7 years and now all of a sudden there is a problem.

What do I do?? I don't want my dogs labeled as dangerous dogs when they have done nothing to deserve this.
Annemarie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Re: Warning!!! Dangerous dogs.

Wow that is really pissy for the mail man to do that. Even after you went in and talked to them. Both my dogs lunge at the door and people wont walk down and past our house. What they don't know is that the lab would just lick them to death and the gsd is more scared of them then they are of her. In your case I am not sure what I would do. Try talking to the mailman and if he isnt cooperitive(hope I spelled that ok) then go in again and ask to talk to the boss to see if you can resolve the issue.
acurajane is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

So the dogs are in the house when he comes by? I don't see the problem. Every other house in town has dogs and even the friendly ones bark at the door.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

I agree with Liesje. I think your anger is justified though, I wouldn't want a label on my babies either. I think I would sit around and wait for the mail man to come by and then talk to him face to face, I wonder if it is the same guy or if they switched drivers. That happened with my UPS guy, my dogs love the original UPS dude always brought them milk bones, then one day a new guy showed up and practically threw the box five feet in front of my door! Some people are just scared to death of barking dogs. But I would definately talk to the guy face to face and ask him what is up? I think you have every right to know what his problem is, and he needs to know what putting that orange card on your mail box means to you.
Bishop-10yr Cat
VectorSketcher is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't understand why they would not deliver the mail if the dogs are inside. Did I miss something?

My guess is that you have a new driver. If he/she is that scared of dogs, then he/she probably needs to rethink his/her career choice.

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
Jazy's mom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well they are saying that they needed to deliver something that required a signature right? But I'm guessing the two doggies in the house were barking and spitting all over the window and he was afraid to even ring the bell in fear that the killers will rush out of the house and rip him into pieces.

lame.
Nerrej is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I might add that the guys who deliver chinese food won't come to our door either. We have to go out and meet them outside while they are sitting in their delivery van. But not bringing mail to the door when the it separated the dogs and them. Its not right
acurajane is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

no, they would have had to open the door for the signature though. Not saying that was a good excuse, I'm just saying I think that was the issue the mail carrier had. He didn't even want to risk the owner opening the door to sign the form.

On the bright side, at least he didn't say 2 dangerous pit bulls.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Okay, issue resolved!!!! I think.....

I just couldn't let this go and I and the dogs waited outside for the mail man today, both orange cards in hand and both dogs in a sit, stay, at their boundary line.

Well, he back-peddled all the way, I think he was in shock that I was actually challenging the authorities!! I politely asked him why I was receiving the notices, his answer was that it was for the sub carriers who did not know which houses had dogs. I asked if he'd ever had an issue with the dogs, his reply was no, I'm not afraid of them. So, why the dangerous dogs notice?? He stuttered that it was a mistake......

So, we left it that in the future that if something requires a signature that whoever is on the route just leaves a notice in the mail box as I take offence at my dogs being given a label that they do not deserve.

Yeah, and kudos to the UPS man, they know the sound of his truck and wait at the end of the driveway for their treat!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Annemarie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

glad to hear it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.