help with sleep schedule/patterns - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default help with sleep schedule/patterns

I need some help trying to figure out how to set a new pattern in place for sleeping time or accepting that this is what it is.

Since the first day we brought her home (all of 3 weeks ago) she has slept on her bed in our room. No accidents at all in there. She holds everything well for a pup of 8 months. She doesn't move off her bed all night.

The problem is in the morning. It doesn't matter when we take her out in the early morning she is insistent on getting us out of bed and out of the bedroom by 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning. She can be taken out at 5am but at 7, she wants everyone out of the bedroom. And it isn't because she wants breakfast. She easily waits until 8 or 8:30 for breakfast. Sometimes she just comes downstairs, plays for a few minutes and then takes a nap.

We're late night folks so we are hoping to get her to learn that if we are still in bed, it is still quiet time.

In the evening she has dinner around 5:30 or 6 and plays until about 7:30 and then she is pretty much zonked for the night. We keep waking her up to play more. I take her out around 10 and my husband is usually up until 2am and takes her out then.

We are working on the crate training for when we are gone but we have never crated her in our room at night. Should we start trying that? I worry that she will see the crate as punishment when she has been so good all night in our room except for the early mornings. Or maybe this is just the way it will be for the next year or so as she matures?
(adopted 12/19/12 from German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California)
Cassie, GSD 11/26/07-12/13/12
Chelsie, Border Collie/Spitz

http://adoginmylife.com
susanwrites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: help with sleep schedule/patterns

we brought our boy home when he was 9 weeks old. we took him out alot. over night i took him out every 2 hours. at 8 months he started getting one of us up at 4:00 a.m. one of us would always let him out. he did that untill he was 1 yr. old. he also likes to play in the a.m. after we let him out and then he naps. when your dog wants you out of the bedroom maybe you should ignore her untill you're ready to get up. when you start to crate train your dog i think you should do it gradually. put her in the crate for 15 minutes the first few times while you're home. then put her in the crate and leave the house for 15 minutes or so. keep increasing the crate time. then put her in there for an over-nighter. don't use your crate as a punishment. maybe your dog had some crate training. when i crate trained my boy i gave him a treat when i put him in the crate and a treat when he came out of the crate. when i give him a treat while he's in his crate i make sure he swallows it before i leave him alone. one day i gave him a biscuit while he was in his crate and he started gasping and moving his mouth all around. i thought he was choking. the biscuit got wedged between his teeth and gums/jaw. so now i just wait a minute to make sure everything goes down. when you start crate training you can put some toys in the crate or a bone. i don't put anything in the crate because i'm afraid he'll choke on it.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just saw this. I am a late night person so it is always a transition when I adopt or foster a new dog. Here's my trick: I don't allow them to get me out of bed. If they lick me I don't move. I don't open my eyes, I don't pet them, I say nothing. If they fuss at me, same thing. They are looking for a reaction. If you give them one then they will continue to try to get more reactions. If you get up once then they figure they get to decide when it's time to get up.

After a few days of ignoring them they get it and realize that you are setting the schedule. I actually consider this part of Nothing in Life is Free. Part of my job as pack leader is to decide when we get up in the morning. This was hard for Rafi because he was a morning guy and not a night guy. However, he has now fully adapted to my schedule. If I get up early he is very confused now and a total sleepyhead!

An 8 month old pup can hold it through the night without a problem. If she's going out at 2am I would absolutely not be getting up at 5am to let her out again. She will be fine until you get it. If you are worried about her peeing in the bedroom or being destructive then crate her. Otherwise I would just ignore her and she will go back to bed.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

if my dog awakens me in the middle of the night or before the usual out time i let them out. they don't make a habit of going out before the normal time. every now and then they'll want to go out at 4:00am. if the dog has to go it has to go. if you had to go in the middle of the night would you go or make yourself wait untill it's your normal wake up time??? i don't practice or beleive in NILIF. NILIF to me is just a way for people to practice domination over their dogs. don't be afraid to do something for you dog if it ask. sometimes my dog will bring me his ball and drop it at my feet or drop it in my lap. to me this means let's play i'm bored. normally i throw the ball down the hallway or i'll take him out to play. it's just every now and then he'll do this. if i say leave it or not now he stops and leaves me alone. about a week ago he brought me his leash for the first time and dropped it at my feet. i told him he was a good boy and i took him out to play. now i can say get your leash and he'll get it and carry it to the car. now that was a week ago. he bought it to me maybe twice after that. so, it's no big deal. what's big about it is he figured out something might happen if he brings me the leash. by me taking him out the first time he brought me his leash he learned the command get your leash. i keep it folded down with a rubber band around it in his toy box. i keep it folded down because it makes it easy for him to get it and carry it. the GF and i are going out to breaskfast. i just her say "doggies come here". she's giving them a biscuit before we go out. the dogs didn't have to do anything for it (NILIF). there's lots of free things for my dogs. they like it and they don't abuse it. take the dogs out if they have to go. give a treat for nothing other than you like your dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI just saw this. I am a late night person so it is always a transition when I adopt or foster a new dog. Here's my trick: I don't allow them to get me out of bed. If they lick me I don't move. I don't open my eyes, I don't pet them, I say nothing. If they fuss at me, same thing. They are looking for a reaction. If you give them one then they will continue to try to get more reactions. If you get up once then they figure they get to decide when it's time to get up.

After a few days of ignoring them they get it and realize that you are setting the schedule. I actually consider this part of Nothing in Life is Free. Part of my job as pack leader is to decide when we get up in the morning. This was hard for Rafi because he was a morning guy and not a night guy. However, he has now fully adapted to my schedule. If I get up early he is very confused now and a total sleepyhead!

An 8 month old pup can hold it through the night without a problem. If she's going out at 2am I would absolutely not be getting up at 5am to let her out again. She will be fine until you get it. If you are worried about her peeing in the bedroom or being destructive then crate her. Otherwise I would just ignore her and she will go back to bed.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.