Adding a new dog to the pack - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Adding a new dog to the pack

Hello,
Had a pack of 4; 1 GSD (m), 2 Goldens (m,f), 1 50 lb cattle dog mix (f). All altered and got along great. Time passed and lost all to age or illness except for our 7 y/o cattle dog mix. Looking at bringing in a GSD to our home pack. Have met 2 great dogs from a local rescue that she seems to get along with on the initial meet and great. A 2 year old spayed female family dog with not a lot of experience with training, dogs or people. And a 6 month old neutered male that has been well socialized but very much a goofy puppy.

I just retired and am home most days so raising a puppy is fine, I have raised them before.

Which sounds on the surface like a better match? I've heard it's best to avoid 2 females ... but we had 2 males and 2 females at the same time before (with the male GSD being alpha) with no problems though I acknowledge that the pack dynamics will be different with only 2 dogs and both being female or 2 dogs one m and one f.

My wife tends to like females because they are smaller and frequently more affectionate. I don't have a preference, I like them both, and am more concerned with which is more likely to get along with our current female long term.

Being rescues we don't know anything about the parents.

Any thoughts from those experienced introducing new dogs into their existing pack? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:06 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

*Generally*, you're safer with a male/female mix than female/female. I like the idea of a younger, male dog with your current girl more than I do an adult female.

My husband and I both prefer females too, but I would just not take the chance with two at once. Our boy Keefer is still a doofy boy at nearly 12 years old. And by far the most affectionate dog either of us has ever had. We've had two opposite sex pairs that have gotten along famously - Keef with his half sister Dena (she was 13 months old when we got him as a puppy, and she died at 4 years old of lymphoma ), and him again at about 3 with puppy Halo.
Stevenzachsmom, Deb and dogma13 like this.

-Debbie-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:39 PM

I would also be inclined to take the young male.

I have a few reasons for this. First, a male/female mix is usually safer than female/female. I know some friends who had an older female, and they took her to meet another female they wanted to adopt. The dogs got along great at the shelter! They got along great at home... At first. About a month in, the dogs started to have major fights, and now the dogs have to be separate at all times. This doesn't always happen, but it's more likely.

Also, I think it'll be easier for you in the long run to get a dog that is already socialized. Taking on a rescue is a risk, as you don't usually know the history or parents, and if you already know that the older female doesn't have much training or experience, it might be slightly easier taking the already pretty well socialized puppy. I feel as though you're more likely to have less surprise behavioral issues that way.

My male puppy was also extremely affectionate, so I haven't noticed any major difference in sexes and affection. I think it's more about each dog, personally.

Either way, thanks for looking into a rescue! There are some great dogs out there that need homes. Good luck, and we would love to see pictures when you make a decision!

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, definitely vote for the male. GSD females don't always get along with other females. Not worth the risk. Your female was on strange territory when she met the others. It will be a whole different ball game to have a 'meet and greet' at your home.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. I very much appreciate your responses and insight.

We're going to do another meet and greet tomorrow with the 6 m/o male. If all goes well, and I have no reason to think it won't, we'll bring him home and I will be sure to post a picture of our new family member.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:18 AM
Crowned Member

The male pup definitely sounds like the better choice.

For what it's worth, I don't think females are more affectionate than males. I currently have a male dog, who is a 'mama's boy' and a female who is a 'daddy's girl'. My previous female GSD was the same way. She worshiped the ground my husband walked on. You never know what you are going to get. lol!

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

OP, just be careful not to bring him just into the home of your female GSD. Hope you are familiar with the gradual intros. Remove all resources, incl. the water bowl. Let him in first. Both on leash out of each others reach. Lots of interaction with you and the dog on leash to remove focus on each other. Walk them out of each others reach, crate once home and repeat several times a day until they really are used to each other before you let them off leash together inside. Good luck. A 6 month old is quite the find.
car2ner likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Hello,
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the great advice and recommendations. We did adopt the 6 m/o male yesterday afternoon. His name is Sakima, weights 55 lbs, and is doing great with our female. We are doing frequent walks as a pack and the two dogs are interacting beautifully. We do keep them on leash when together, supervised, and will do so until both are settled with the new pack order and each other. But so far, Emma is getting along with him far better than any of the other males and females we met.

He's an amazing puppy. Not seeing any issues other than normal puppy stuff. Very happy he has joined our family. Have been w/o a GSD for a little over a year since Randolph passed from cancer. Happy to have him here. Nothing like a GSD.

Will get and post pictures in the coming days. Here are a couple from a week ago after being neutered.
Attached Images

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
OP, just be careful not to bring him just into the home of your female GSD. Hope you are familiar with the gradual intros. Remove all resources, incl. the water bowl. Let him in first. Both on leash out of each others reach. Lots of interaction with you and the dog on leash to remove focus on each other. Walk them out of each others reach, crate once home and repeat several times a day until they really are used to each other before you let them off leash together inside. Good luck. A 6 month old is quite the find.
I don't believe the OPs female is a GSD. I think 'Emma' is a cattle dog mix.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Crowned Member

What an adorable pup. It sounds like you are doing great with both dogs. (Love the name, Emma, BTW.) Congratulations on Sakima, your new addition. Enjoy!

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page