German Shepherds Forum banner

Bane keeps licking his front left paw. Vet trip?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Today I noticed that Bane was licking just his front left paw a lot and he usually doesn't lick it as frequently like that. I went to check, and noticed some slightly moist(pus?) skin that was showing right above his 3rd toenail. I checked his other toes to compare and this one definitely stands out. The vet won't be available for at least another 2-3 days. So in the mean time I was wondering if any of you have any ideas what this could be. For now, I will keep close watch and stop him from further licking.

This is the best picture I could get as he would keep moving that paw away when I touch it. That's another reason why I'm suspecting something might be up since he's fine with me touching his other paw.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If Bane is not limping, thenI would think that the sore started as a bug bite or some minor irritation. It is all moist due to the licking and also that is what will make it worse. My Sting sometimes gets that on his front leg. I have found that applying first Vetericyn and then Chew Not! or you could use Bitter Apple so it will not taste good seems to work. I also redirect the licking by giving him his bear toy with a little coconut oil dabbed on which he loves. So he licks that instead.

#3 ·
My vet recently had me stand my dog in a Epsom soak for foot irritation like that. His was all 4 feet. I also sprayed his feet with Betagen spray. My girl just had a thing just like your pic and I did the same, Epsom and then Beta gen. that Beta gen is miraculous because they don't want to lick it. it soaks right in and NO licking.

#4 ·
Might try trimming the nail back if he'll let you. Longer nails can create pressure and cause their foot placement to change in order to compensate. I got 3 of my gsds done today at home, but the fourth hates it and has to be done at the vet or groomer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.