German Shepherds Forum banner

The concept of "yours" and "mine": territory

772 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
My husky knows not to pee on other people's lawns while on walks.

But common areas such as trees, bushes hydrants on the sides of main streets are fair game to him.

I can't remember how or even if I trained him this.

Does your pup understand what is his property? Common property and someone else's' property?

I believe it's a common curtesy trick to have my pup practice...

But I do not comprehed that how he understands such a complex thing.

Do you think it is innate for dogs to understand something like this?

#2 ·
I tell my boy 'leave it' regarding items I don't want him christening. I've done it since he started lifting his leg. Maybe you have trained/conditioned him without realizing you were doing so.

#3 ·
Most of our training happens in ways that we don't consciously follow. Through force of habit, he's learned to pee on the area HERE but not the areas THERE. Simply walking past the lawns and on to the curbside trees/bushes/hydrants is enough for you to do "train" him that lawns are off-limits for potty breaks.

#4 ·
Generally I try not to let Samson get into people's yards on walks, especially this time of year when folks are fertilizing and treating for ants. Most of our walks aren't at a time when he's been inside and needs to go anyway. You can tell where other dogs have been allowed to pee on mailboxes and bushes though. He wants to stop and sniff. I got really ticked off to find one of the common areas has been turned into a bathroom for at least 2 dogs, likely the same household. I was writing the post for our neighborhood website in my head when all of a sudden Samson decided to poop in the woods. I decided to let it go for now.

I've caught people letting their dogs pee in our Asiatic Jasmine in a bed that borders the street. Really ticks me off. I get that things happen, but what I've witnessed is clearly nit an accident.

#5 ·
I've caught people letting their dogs pee in our Asiatic Jasmine in a bed that borders the street. Really ticks me off. I get that things happen, but what I've witnessed is clearly nit an accident.
I sure understand getting ticked off about that. A few years ago we lived on a street that had houses on one side and a grassy area next to a parking lot on the other. Most people walked along the parking lot. One fellow, visiting family, walked on the yard side and his dog peed on our garden wall. This was a one lane private road! NO traffic, easy to walk on the parking lot side. No excuse to let his dog mark our yard. sigh. We actually caught him and said, "good afternoon. The rest of us walk our dogs on the other side of the street". He didn't take the advice very well.:|

#6 ·
I have taught all my males not to mark while on leash from the very time they have thought about it. No exceptions. As soon as the head turns towards something markable, it is "Leave It!" This has worked really well. Walking on leash is business for me and them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.