German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog Door Insert for Sliding Patio Door - Help!?

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  travich 
#1 · (Edited)
Debating if this is the right forums or not...
I have a German Shepherd puppy and she is now 3 months old. She's my 4th GSD that I've owned, but only one living here (the other's have long since passed).
With that said, I would like a dog door for my sliding glass patio door that I can easily walk through. Here's the problem.
I believe that the Extra Large dog doors I see online are about 10 inches across for the dog entry. I have a feeling my GSD will be wider than 10 inches across. I've tried to google this information with no luck. The extra large dog door has plenty of room to go in and out of the door.
However, the next size up is 15 inches across for the dog entry. I am fine with that, except it takes up more than half the entry way. What I am look for is a recommendation on something in between or a solution for a dog door where I can get through the door, but also big enough for my German Shepherd.
FYI, I've googled this to death, but if someone has say... a dog door that is 12 inches across for the dog and under 77 and 5/8 inches tall (it's considered a shorty on home depots site), I'll buy you a beer. If anyone can provide how wide across their dog is that would be very helpful as well!
Extra Large Example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Pet-10-...
Super Large Example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Pet-15-...
THANK YOU.

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay, I have 3 GSDs, and Russell is enormous. I have a large Endura single flap dog door that is 10" wide and 19" tall. He's never had any trouble blasting through that thing.

For what it's worth, the Endura Flap dog door is expensive, but it's the best dog door I've ever had. I live in Oklahoma and it's windy. Every dog door that I've had in the past would blow open. This thing has very strong magnets and is rated for 50 mph winds. It's never blown open. It's also too hard for my teeny cats to open. They make a sliding glass door version, but it's really expensive. Anyway, the size of the dog door works just fine.

Dog door, back in the corner:

Enormous Russell:

#3 ·
I also have a video that I could post of the dogs going out the dog door. Its really embarrassing though because my puppy Scarlet is acting like a complete idiot. :eek:

Reactions: travich
#4 ·
WOW!! Thank you for the reply!! That would definitely solve it if I could just order the 10 inch. I'd love to see the video just because well... GSDs. My female is probably going to be 80lbs-ish so I bet the 10 inch would work! Thank you!

#5 ·
Here's the link to the video on Vimeo. It won't embed here, so if you click on it, it'll take you to Vimeo. You might want to turn your sound down, because Scarlet is losing her mind on it and she is SO loud.

Scarlet and the dog door video

Reactions: travich
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.