First time male and female - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

First time male and female

So this is the first time I've ever owned both a male and female dog at the same time. It dawned on me that other than the obvious sexual stuff I have no idea what kinds of behavioural quirks to expect between the two!
Anybody have anything interesting to share specifically about behaviour between males and females?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 PM

My male and female voluntarily share toys and food.Whenever one is obviously interested in what the other possesses,they will carry the toy,bone,etc and drop it next to the other dog when they are finished with it.They will give each other a look when one doesn't want to quite finish their dinner almost as if "Hey,I'm stuffed!You want the rest of this?"
I don't know if that's a male/female dynamic or just good fortune that they get along so well.
astrovan2487 likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 AM
Crowned Member

boys are usually easier with girls than other boys.
girls are usually easier with boys than with other girls.

If an ideal number of dogs were ever agreed upon, I think two would be it, one male, one female. 2 hands can pet 2 dogs at the same time -- ideal.

Right now my little boy's nick names are Humper, and Sir Humps a Lot. Quinnie is his buddy, and he loves humping her. I could stop this, but since one day that behavior just may be what is required, I don't think I will. Otherwise, they play together, run together, the girl teaches the boy the ropes, they will eat leftovers out of the same pot together.
Casto likes this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:15 AM
Master Member

In my experience having two dogs of opposite genders goes way smoother than two of the same.

They pay more attention to each other, almost seems like they try to impress each other.

I've had two boys twice, both times they were a pair that loved to get into trouble, think up ideas of how to escape the yard and have fun. The pack mentality was also strong and they were much more confrontational together than as individuals.
I've had females together a few times too, they never paid much attention to each other. Fights were less frequent than with two males but a HECK of a lot more serious. The males typically did not want to hurt each other, the females wanted to kill each other.

Much of it is based off of individual dogs and how they click, but there aren't many issues with owning opposite gendered dogs as long as you can prevent breeding.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:18 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Right now my little boy's nick names are Humper, and Sir Humps a Lot. Quinnie is his buddy, and he loves humping her. I could stop this, but since one day that behavior just may be what is required, I don't think I will. Otherwise, they play together, run together, the girl teaches the boy the ropes, they will eat leftovers out of the same pot together.
It's easier to encourage the female to stand up for herself than discourage the male to stop humping, in my experience :P
A correction from me makes my male stop humping for maybe a few minutes before he gets excited again, a correction from the female might last him a month LOL
selzer likes this.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:01 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Our two are thick as thieves, they've always gotten along fantastically. Keefer and Dena were joined at the hip from the time we got him at 9 weeks old when she was 13 months old. She died at 4 from lymphoma, and Keefer was 3 when we got Halo at 10 weeks old.

Keef was not himself for several months after losing Dena and at first didn't seem that interested in Halo, but it didn't take long for them to bond. He would try to play with her the same way he did with Dena, except she was about the size of his head at that point so he was always getting in trouble for being too rough with the puppy. As she got bigger and it was clear she was perfectly capable of handling herself they were able to play as equals without us worrying that he was going to hurt her, and they've been best friends ever since.

Keefer will be 12 in August and Halo is 8-1/2. They are completely trustworthy together and have never had any issues. Halo is kind of a bossy little bitch and he tends to defer to her, possibly due to her strong personality but also possibly because he was the little brother to Dena before becoming the big brother to Halo and it's a habit. He's been amazingly patient with her antics, especially with her hanging off his neck by her teeth nearly all of the time when she was younger!

-Debbie-

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

These photos will tell you everything you need to know about the relationship between Keefer and Halo - aka Keefalo.

It's like there's a theme or something....

-Debbie-

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Ha! Those are some of the best pics I've seen in awhile! Hope mine are like that. Right now my pup just drives the older lab bonkers. She wants to play with him but he's alittle too rough for her now.....
Cassidy's Mom likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Master Member

It looks like Keefer and Halo are joined at the toy (instead of "hip")
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
It's easier to encourage the female to stand up for herself than discourage the male to stop humping, in my experience :P
A correction from me makes my male stop humping for maybe a few minutes before he gets excited again, a correction from the female might last him a month LOL
Not Quinnie, she won't correct him. Maybe when she comes into heat, I will have to be more careful then, but she just isn't the type. LOL!
Dracovich likes this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page