Who's having a good day? Anyone doing any training or activities today? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Who's having a good day? Anyone doing any training or activities today?

It's nearly 2 pm here in Texas and I am ready to be off work. lol (5pm) It may start raining BUT Jupiter and I will be doing some training this evening 10 to 15 mins of focused heeling and then a bike ride. Training outside rain or shine...he has to listen in the rain too!!! However, we may hold off on our ride if it is indeed raining. pics to come if I get some good ones.

Casto
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Looking forward to your pictures. I work late tonight so I wont be home till after 7. Hoping tomorrow and Saturday to work on recall w/ Hershey and Charlie.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Doing some search training tonight. Starting to do some problems around buildings for a teammate and getting him used to how scent moves around buildings (yes you need day problems for this too!)

Beau will get some HRD (cadaver) problems, mainly speed drills.

Tilly is no longer in training for SAR but I am going to use her to show my teammate how to start a dog in HRD and do a tracking problems with surface changes 'just for fun'

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Jupiter got his Harness (I guess he was ready to bike ride haha) while I was at work. Destroyed it, I'll pretend he was trying to put it on. I'm heading to get another one lol. Good news is I got off work early! I just found out the kids grandparents are watching them this evening too so that's cool. It did feel strange with Jupiter hiding out... He he knew he messed up... And and the kids not running around. It's been a long time since that no d of quiet haha
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
Doing some search training tonight. Starting to do some problems around buildings for a teammate and getting him used to how scent moves around buildings (yes you need day problems for this too!)

Beau will get some HRD (cadaver) problems, mainly speed drills.

Tilly is no longer in training for SAR but I am going to use her to show my teammate how to start a dog in HRD and do a tracking problems with surface changes 'just for fun'
That's awesome. Nosework is so cool and interesting to me. I've watched Jupiter in nature and by far has the most advanced nose of a dog I've owned. I Try and sneak up on him when he's relaxing outside. Absolute no noise, hold my breath and everything lol. Just can't get him. He smells me coming. I see him chasing moles under the ground with his nose. He traces their path with his nose , lifts and digs. It's looks like a dance. I mentioned it on a post yesterday I think. Have a good evening!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:34 PM

It was too dang hot today but we still got a few things done. We did some short fresh tracks to find articles in tall grass this morning. I had my dogs "find coffee" since my hubby likes to hide my cup of joe in the morning. My big boy helped me carry my watering bucket back to the hose with some water play as a reward. And we did some tricks tonight, like Sit Handsome, Spin Left, Spin Right, Right Paw, Left Paw, Tell Me A Secret...
Casto likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 PM

We worked on "Bang your dead" just for some fun this morning
He's nearly got it... the problem is he likes lying down and getting treats so getting him back up again to try again is proving a challenge, hahaha
car2ner and Casto like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserAus View Post
He's nearly got it... the problem is he likes lying down and getting treats so getting him back up again to try again is proving a challenge, hahaha
I had a previous dog that did the side down to a pointed finger and bang. But I decided to stop "killing" my dogs (personal weirdness, I know) so now I use the command "Medic".  I can say "German Shepherd Down, call the Medic" and my dogs drop down, roll on their sides and their tongues hang out of their mouths. It always makes me laugh.
Suki's Mom, Casto and KaiserAus like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:23 AM
Knighted Member

I just laid a track going through some ground cover we've never tracked in with a short stretch on some gravel. Will be interesting to see how the boy handles it! It is aging now, heading out now.
Casto likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
It was too dang hot today but we still got a few things done. We did some short fresh tracks to find articles in tall grass this morning. I had my dogs "find coffee" since my hubby likes to hide my cup of joe in the morning. My big boy helped me carry my watering bucket back to the hose with some water play as a reward. And we did some tricks tonight, like Sit Handsome, Spin Left, Spin Right, Right Paw, Left Paw, Tell Me A Secret...
haha tricks are fun and good thing you have a shepherd with a good nose...you need that coffee!!! It looks like Nosework is where its at! Jupiter loves carrying a water bucket outside so much I can barely keep water in it. Tell me a secret... that is cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserAus View Post
He is just really trying to build the muscle memory for that part of the trick! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I had a previous dog that did the side down to a pointed finger and bang. But I decided to stop "killing" my dogs (personal weirdness, I know) so now I use the command "Medic".  I can say "German Shepherd Down, call the Medic" and my dogs drop down, roll on their sides and their tongues hang out of their mouths. It always makes me laugh.
If I ever saw yall do that in real life I would casually step back and give you a round of applause... think opera clap??? lol So cool! Such a pleasing trick that EVERYoNE loves. Tongues out and all, dang impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I just laid a track going through some ground cover we've never tracked in with a short stretch on some gravel. Will be interesting to see how the boy handles it! It is aging now, heading out now.
Good luck! Let me know when he aces it. He's got it! "It aint nuthin but a "GSD" thang!"

Jupiter Rising!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page