German Shepherds Forum banner

What mental state do you need your dog in before walking?

537 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cdwoodcox 
#1 ·
She tends not to heel - overexcited or doesn't respect my leadership....she is a female and behaves somewhat like an alpha...

Any help appreciated as this is too stressful and this stage as is causing me to hate walking her - i live in an urban area....she is a working dog too.

4 years old.

Thanks.

#3 ·
My dogs get excited with just the word walk. But they still keep their cool. I only expect heel during training. Walking only requires a loose leash. I use a lot of left turns, fast right turns. If the dog isn't paying attention to you enough to not get jerks during the right turns or knees during the left turns then the jerks and knees usually help. I over exaggerate both if needed. Pulling ahead yes I usually will just stop and guide them back in place. Does she respond to collar pressure. And what kind of collar are you using. A fur saver would be a good choice until she gets reliable then you could switch to a flat collar. I done a lot of leash walking as pups in non stimulating environments. My back yard, around the house. How often do you walk. The more you walk the more it becomes normal and not quite as stimulating.

Reactions: Shooter
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.