German Shepherds Forum banner

Nexgard reactions

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SuperG 
#1 ·
I was at the dog park on Friday, and I think it was GSD day there. I was chatting with another owner while our dogs played chase, and she was asking me about flea/tick prevention. I told her I had just tried Nexgard and my dog had done fine with it, so we were switching from Frontline.

She told me that her dog had also just tried Nexgard, but that her vet said it could upset dogs' stomachs and her boy had vomited about 48 hours after taking the pill. She was wondering if this could possibly be a reaction to the Nexgard. I said I didn't know, but she should check with her vet.

Anyway, I just wanted to poll this forum, because I know we're all concerned about this kind of thing, to see if anyone else's dogs had reactions to Nexgard and what they were and when they showed up.

#3 ·
I gave nexguard to my 8 week old puppy at my vet's recommendation and he was fine. No stomach issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I copied this from a previous discussion about Nexgard:

Both our girls were given Nexgard in December. Diva has always been prone to severe itchiness,and two hours after the dose, Diva was going crazy from increased itchiness, and she was stressing out.

We contacted the vet who said to give Benadryl and come by the office for Prednisone, in case it was needed (this was at 6:15 p.m.). Two hours later she was still horribly itchy and uncomfortable, so we gave her the Pred. She finally seemed to relax for about an hour, but by 9:15 she was scratching and biting again. The vet called to see how she was doing, and said that the calm hour was likely due to the Benadryl finally kicking in, and the Pred would take a while to start working. During this, she drank like a race horse, but didn't pee until about midnight. At 2:30 she got another dose of Benadryl, and finally settled down (and my alarm goes off at 5...).

#8 ·
My daughter's GSD was given Nexgard last Monday and threw up her dinner a couple of hours later. She was nauseated during the night and vomited several times the next day.

#10 ·
I found a really small tick on my dog's ear tip...we had traveled south...so I was suspect.....tick ended up to be a regular dog/brown tick...nymph stage....but I did dose the dog with some Nexgard for the first time....no reactions whatsoever.....

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.