German Shepherds Forum banner

Do Your Dogs Eat Weird Food?

2K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
Max liked broccoli and so does Newlie. Newlie sits beside me when I am eating Halos (California mandarins) and I share sections with him. Neither of them care(d) for bananas, my impression is that the texture is the problem. What weird foods do your dogs like to eat?

#2 ·
And I thought my dog was the only dog that likes halos! She also loves bananas, apples, carrots, and corn on the Cobb. She nibbles apples and corn on the cob while I hold it so she dosent get to devour it whole. I have not yet found anything she dosent love to eat. I'm starting to believe she has no taste sense haha

#3 ·
I haven't found anything that my Germans won't eat. My German / golden mix is a bit Pickier. They will all eat bananas apples, oranges, peaches, tomatoes, carrots. Tonight they were all eating watermelon. They absolutely love blueberry yogurt.

#4 ·
I make a fruit salad in the summer and we all eat it. I have mulberry trees and they beg to go out and eat them. Robyn loves peaches, I had to make sure she couldn't to the peach tree. Last year I made a pineapple slush--pineapple and ice and Tannor couldn't get enough of it. Misty likes kale but it has to have garlic on it. Watermelon is probably the favorite for all of us.

Reactions: Daisy&Lucky's Mom
#5 ·
Phoenix wants to at least try what I am preparing. So far, he loves carrots, bananas, and just a bit of broccoli, depends on his mood. And, not all at the same time lol. He'll chew a bit of romaine lettuce and cucumber, then spit out. The last spoonful of yogurt is his :D now weird...goose poop and rabbit skittles :eek:, no kisses for Phoenix lol

#8 ·
Roscoe gets disappointed if I don't share my apple with him in the morning. He seems to like the taste of bananas, because he will eat them after he has smashed the pieces you give him, but he won't eat a slice of it. As far as weird foods, he wants to get into dirt and rocks. It's a constant battle to keep him occupied with something else. He has stopped in the middle of chasing a ball to go get into some rocks.

#9 ·
Varik loves watermelon and apples, and had strawberries for the first time at Easter (yum..for him). He likes carrots and begs for fresh green beans when I'm cleaning them, but usually just mangles them and leaves the mess on the floor.

As to really unusual, my first German Shepherd would drink pickle juice because I was drinking it (hey, I was only 10 or 12 years old!).

#10 ·
These are funny!

Newlie whines to eat the little pieces of stuff left in my bowl if I eat a salad. He also likes to lap up any remnants of ranch dressing in the bowl. He does like apples and cooked carrots, tends to spit out raw carrots. He will take pieces of melon in his mouth, but always spits those out, too.

#14 ·
Ylva wants to eat anything I eat. Olives, cheese, vegetables, ice cream...her favorite thing though is pizza hands down. She sees the box and goes nuts and begs hardcore.

Yesterday while I was napping she pulled the sugar cookies I bought off the counter and ate the 5 that were left in the container...

Needless to say she had a tummy ache. Lol

#15 ·
Bruno will eat almost anything. Red peppers, cantaloupe, pineapple, apple, carrots, cabbage salad (those were some nasty farts), pickles (accidentally dropped one) and he even eats pills if I just set them in his dog food dish. The only thing he doesn't really like is lettuce or spinach leaves.

#18 ·
Inga picks ripe blackberries off the vine and eats them.

She also likes....uh..... this is a ranch and calves get castrated.

#24 ·
My youngest GSD LOVES wasabi (at least the fake horseradish stuff you get in restaurants). We discovered this by accident and never give her more than a taste, but she goes NUTS for it. She also really, REALLY likes the mint dip that we get with naan. She likes savory things. I have to practically force her to eat anything sweet, such as fruit. My little dog (although not a GSD) is part Shih-Tzu, so she will inhale literally almost anything EXCEPT olives. On Thanksgiving last year, we discovered that she would NOT eat an olive. I almost fell over.

#25 ·
My big-boy like celery. A vet friend said, "It isn't the celery he likes. It is the peanut-butter on it" or which I responded," I don't put peanut-butter on it, just plain crunchy moist celery". She looked at me funny.
My She-pup enjoys a big crunchy carrot for desert at night. That is not unusual in itself, except she prefers that over a bully stick.

#26 ·
My big-boy like celery. A vet friend said, "It isn't the celery he likes. It is the peanut-butter on it" or which I responded," I don't put peanut-butter on it, just plain crunchy moist celery". She looked at me funny.

My She-pup enjoys a big crunchy carrot for desert at night. That is not unusual in itself, except she prefers that over a bully stick.

I have not tested my theory, but I would not be surprised if my female would choose fruit over meat. She will sit and drool for fruit (all kinds). She will not do this for raw meat. I know she has chosen fruit over treats like jerky strips and dog cookies.

#27 ·
Hershey likes raspberries and now Charlie does too. Lucky loved berries period and Daisy loved mangos and both ate oranges. None of mine will eat bananas. Celery is a no go with all my dogs. Charlie plays with her carrots.

#28 ·
Prairie oyster. Country folks eat them. They are considered a delicacy, except they are deep fried. Ranch dogs eat them raw of course. Most ranch dogs do not eat much dogfood at roundup time. They are too full. I do not eat them, I am a vegetarian. So the cowboys just say More for Us :grin2: But they have to beat Inga to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.