Driving through a place with breed ban laws? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Driving through a place with breed ban laws?

Not applicable to GSDs as far as I know, but some members here own breeds that are banned in some places. I intend to eventually have a Presa, and wouldn't you know it, the place I'm moving in a couple of months borders a large vicinity that bans them. There's no way to avoid this area and go visit my parents without adding many hours to the trip, and it's already a long drive.

Am I allowed to drive through these areas with my (future) dog if I'm not a resident and I don't stop? I'm going to read up on the bans in these specific areas, but does anyone have experience with this issue that can give me some advice?

The areas with bans are Malheur County, Oregon and Ashton, Idaho, in case you wanted to read up too.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Knighted Member

I'd definitely check the laws.

Even if transport through the county is legal I would still make sure I didn't have to stop or give the cops a reason to stop me.
Dracovich likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:15 AM
Knighted Member

I'd go straight to the source. Call Animal Control, or the non emergency police number? I'm not sure.

I think if it were me...I probably just wouldn't want to go through that stress and I would wait for the banned breed until your life circumstances are better or plan accordingly so you never bring that dog into the banned area.
Dracovich likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 AM

I just read the ordinance for Malheur County and it looks like you're okay for transport. The one questionable section is where it addresses dogs riding in the open area of a vehicle or truck. I assume that statement is intended to restrict the animals from being transported in the bed of a truck without a kennel, but I am not 100% sure of how that ordinance is interpreted there. I don't see how it would be feasible to get a kennel in the backseat of a car, and I don't know how you intend on transporting the dog, but it looks like you should be okay. I have not read the ordinance for the other location yet, but I will read it and post once I do.
Dracovich likes this.

Happy to be here.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 AM

I just read the second statute, and it is very poorly written. However, ambiguity in the law is on the side of the people. Because it does not expressly forbid transporting the animals, and the language of the statute indicates permanent residents and ownership, I would say you are in the clear for transporting the animals through there as well.
Dracovich likes this.

Happy to be here.

Last edited by np307; 04-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Breeds that are banned usually have a 'grandfather' clause that allows people currently owning them to keep them until they die, but it's usually required the dog be muzzled when out in public. So, my recommendation would be to purchase a muzzle for the dog to wear if you have to stop for a bathroom break.

Ilive in Ontario, and although be have a breed ban here, Animal Control doesn't enforce it very strictly. People have very little to fear unless their dog causes a problem.
Dracovich likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

I suppose the best thing to do is to contact animal control in those areas to hear it directly from them, maybe email would be best for some 'proof', then possibly muzzle and crate the dog while driving through those areas.

While researching this I heard that Denver has done some pretty shady things and it's best to avoid it completely. Luckily I have no need to go to or through Denver.

Supposedly the 'punishment' someone traveling through these areas could get is a fine and having to take the dog out of the county, but assuming we would even get pulled over the police would probably be more focused on a traffic violation than the dog crated in the back of the SUV.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 PM
Knighted Member

For me, I'd have to get to the bottom of things like: if you had an accident and were incapacitated or killed, what would be done with your dog? Would they try to find your family or whoever to take the dog or would they euth it because it was taken into custody in a place where it is banned? Shepherds are scary enough because they are more likely to be shot by first responders (or so I am told) who are trying to get through them to help you if you have wrecked your car and are hurt.
Dracovich likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
I suppose the best thing to do is to contact animal control in those areas to hear it directly from them, maybe email would be best for some 'proof', then possibly muzzle and crate the dog while driving through those areas.

While researching this I heard that Denver has done some pretty shady things and it's best to avoid it completely. Luckily I have no need to go to or through Denver.

Supposedly the 'punishment' someone traveling through these areas could get is a fine and having to take the dog out of the county, but assuming we would even get pulled over the police would probably be more focused on a traffic violation than the dog crated in the back of the SUV.
Do as you wish, but understand that law enforcement agencies are usually very inconsistent in how they will answer you. Your best bet would be to print off the ordinance and keep it with you, as that's what is actually the law.
Diegotxe and Dracovich like this.

Happy to be here.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
For me, I'd have to get to the bottom of things like: if you had an accident and were incapacitated or killed, what would be done with your dog? Would they try to find your family or whoever to take the dog or would they euth it because it was taken into custody in a place where it is banned? Shepherds are scary enough because they are more likely to be shot by first responders (or so I am told) who are trying to get through them to help you if you have wrecked your car and are hurt.
That's true, but this is sadly a risk no matter the kind of dog someone has. I've heard many news stories where families try to get their deceased loved one's pet but it had already been euthanized. I agree though, it's probably a greater risk with breeds people are uncomfortable with.

Draco

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page