Where does your dog sleep at night? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Where does your dog sleep at night?

Hello everyone!

Just curious as to where your dog(s) sleep at night? My last special guy (passed) would ALWAYS sleep in his bed on the floor in our bedroom at night. Although, he was also my shadow and attached to my hip.

Our newest love, Louie, started out in a bed when he was a little nugget, but we would also put a baby gate up so he couldn't wander and get into any trouble at night. Now that he's a little older, we have recently (couple months ago) removed the baby gate. He refuses to sleep in his bed in the bedroom. He much prefers his couch (we have decided he gets the love seat in the living room covered with a blanket), area rug in living room, or the kitchen rug. He is always sure to come in and wake us if he needs a potty break during the night.

Keep in mind, he has an extremely comfortable bed that mom spent quite a pretty penny on. He'll come lay on it for literally 60 seconds when it's "bed time" then he's out to sleep elsewhere.

It's a weird feeling... it's as if my feeling are kinda hurt that he doesn't want to sleep with "his pack" at night.

Thanks for your input/suggestions.

Jillian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Master Member

He has a bed on the floor at the foot of our bed as well as his crate in the living room. He switches back and forth. I think he likes being close to use but he also likes to be able to keep a watch out on the driveway and back yard and the living room has better access to see those.

Perhaps your pup too wants to be in a spot to keep an eye out.
LouLouLemon and HolyFriedFish like this.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Knighted Member

Bruno starts off on our bed. After a bit (maybe 15 minutes) he hops off and either goes to his kennel to sleep or he sleeps on a dog bed in the bedroom. Gracie starts off either in her kennel or she lays on the dog bed in the bedroom. Sometime during the night she usually comes up into our bed and snuggles in. Then in the morning, she usually leaves and Bruno comes up for his cuddle time with mama. He curls up to me and presses his face against mine and I hold him and pet him

My previous GSD Mayzie loved to sleep on "her" chair in the front room. She would sometimes come up on our bed for a few minutes but she was never the cuddly type like the two I have now.
LouLouLemon and Dori like this.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Elite Member

Mine has a circuit: "Her" chair, the couch, the rug, the wood floor. Sometimes she will go sleep in her crate if she is really tired. It's normal for her to move around during the night and sleep in a few different spots. I know whenever she changes location because the living room is right above my bedroom and I can hear her move, flop down, and grumble.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:54 AM

When my boy was a pup I crated him next to my bed. When he was older, fully housebroken and trusted not to chew, his crate was outside the bedroom along with his bed, which I purposely put in view of my bedroom door. (I found early on that I ALWAYS had to be in his line of sight, which was fine with me! <3 ) He rarely slept with me even as a pup. And believe me, I tried! But he would get up and whine to be back on the floor so he could go to his crate. I was lucky if he'd lay with me on the couch to watch TV during our down time. Mostly would lay on the floor next to me. He always preferred his bed, floor or crate. Hurt my feelings at first too cause I wanted to snuggle with him, but I think he just liked having his own space. I can respect that lol Maybe yours likes to have some space, too? Or just prefers a different sleeping area as it's more comfortable for him?
LouLouLemon likes this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
Mine has a circuit: "Her" chair, the couch, the rug, the wood floor. Sometimes she will go sleep in her crate if she is really tired. It's normal for her to move around during the night and sleep in a few different spots. I know whenever she changes location because the living room is right above my bedroom and I can hear her move, flop down, and grumble.
I adore the flop and grumble
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Master Member

Jazz sleeps on the floor right next to our bed most of the time (usually on my side of the bed). Occasionally, though, I'll wake up to find her on the bed in our guest room, or on the futon that's right outside our bedroom in the second floor 'landing' area.

Tom
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Topper our chihuahua sleeps in my daughter 's bed. Sometimes we steal him. Max starts of sleeping in our bed the move to his bed on the floor. Luna is 7 months old and still sleeps in her crate until we know she won't chew anything up.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Mine is crated at night. He is loose during the day, but we have a stray cat that moved in a few years ago. She gets the run of the house at night.

He likes his crate. At least half of the time he goes to bed on his own, and I just run in before I go to bed to latch the crate.

From an alerting perspective it's not as good. Instead of a watch dog we have a declawed cat running around.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Master Member

Diva starts and ends on her bed in the bedroom. We can hear her moving around between bed and wood floor in the hallway to the living area of the house (we keep the door between the bedroom area and living area shut at night), with the occasional stop in the ensuite bathroom to have a drink.

Suki sleeps on one of the dog beds most of the time. She will sleep with us on occasion, but doesn't usually stay the whole night. When she's ready to get down, she'll stand up and waits until I turn on the flashlight to guide her down the steps at the side of the bed (her legs/hips are starting to bother her more).

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page