German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD over 100lbs!

44K views 160 replies 35 participants last post by  Leon big boy 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have a GSD over 100lbs? I estimate my dog Jax to be 115lb. He was 108 about two months ago. The vet says he's perfectly fine and not overweight but when I see other GSDs, Jax looks like a bear!

I feed him once a day (in the mornings). Should I be feeding him smaller portions twice a day?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would absolutely feed him twice a day. I would be concerned about bloat and limiting his food at each feeding.

He is a beautiful dog.

You posted this thread in "Braggs!!" Why do you think a GSD over 100 lbs is something to brag about? I'm just curious as it pertains to another thread on the forum regarding GSD's and weight.

#3 ·
My boy's sire was 110, not fat at all with a great temperament. He was imported from Germany and had his BH. I suspect he was sold to my breeder because he was over the standard and no one in Germany would breed him, but crazy Americans would. My boy is gorgeous and has a wonderful personality and is now 90 lbs at age 3.

But with his size and long hair I suspect it is harder for him in the heat. He is a tank where my much smaller female is a rocket.

Your guy is gorgeous. I feed my dogs a small breakfast, then training treats through the day...which I try to keep as healthy treats...then a larger dinner since I know we'll be settling down for the night. 

#4 ·
yeah i wouldn't brag about an over 100lb GSD. i'm hoping to get 14 years out of my normal sized girl. you might lose your dog at 8 or 9. if big is in his genetics nothing you can do though. i would cut his food in half and feed twice. not because of bloat but for digestive regularity. good looking dog though! good luck with him and stick around and post more pics.

#5 · (Edited)
He a very handsome dog. I like feeding two meals a day -for myself it seems to help me focus more on what and how much I'm feeding the dogs. In the past I have fed dogs once a day and often it was quick and rushed. Our first Gsd developed bad arthritis in his later years and was harder to keep the weight off as exercise was lessened. He was not grossly over weight 90 lbs he was thin and in good shape anything over that he was overweight so we kept watch it does sneak up which can happen fast. The 100lbs mark we knew we had work to do. Being overweight takes years off a dog they don't have many. Max is he could stand to loose about 2 -3 pounds. He is roughly about 83lbs. The winter has been rough on the both of us lol! Spring is coming yay! Our King Charles was the most challenging dog I ever had keeping weight off it was a battle of the bulge. she did not eat much dog food but would eat Who knows what outside. We tested her thyroid and everything -later I found it was peanuts in them wild bird food outside that may have been adding to the cause her weight gain.

#7 ·
Oh no sweat I imagine just starting out forums are a bit confusing???

Rocky is an Over Size Wl GSD also he was 116 at 14 months many years ago now and 112 today. I never heard the "Bear" bit before. But I get is he a "Wolf" quite a bit ... I always say, no he's just a dog. Welcome aboard and he's a handsome boy. :)

#8 ·
Mine was 132 last year and his last weigh in a couple weeks ago he was 107.

I feed my boy 3 cups a day, 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I also soak his kibble in warm water to get more moisture into his diet; Dr. Karen Becker mentioned it in one of her videos.

It’s true that a smaller dog would have a longer life span, but that does not mean bigger dogs should be avoided. My Pyr is bigger than my GSD, she might have a shorter life span but that doesn’t mean I should have gotten a smaller dog. Great Danes have very short lives, too, but that wouldn’t make me avoid the breed.

Don’t let people shame you because your dog might not live as long, yes you should always look for breeders that breed within the standard, I don’t know where you got your dog from, but longer lifespan doesn’t mean a superior dog, if it did I would have a Dachshund.

#9 ·
Jax is beautiful! As Dracovich posted, I wouldn't worry about what other people think about weight/life span. My 9 y/o female GSH/Golden Retriever mix is about 105 right now (once the weather turns a bit nicer, she'll "slim down" to about 95lbs). As a larger dog, she might have a shorter lifespan than a smaller GSH but I wouldn't give up the years I've had (and will have for whatever time she has left) with her at all. As long as your vet says Jax is at a healthy weight, don't sweat it. Bonita is on a raw diet and I feed her in the morning (chicken thigh or small leg quarter) and in the evening (chicken leg) and she gets a few healthy snacks throughout the day. With the addition of our new puppy, she's been getting a few extra training treats and beef ribs.

#10 · (Edited)
The dog that the OP posted is absolutely a beautiful dog. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

It is concerning to me when people do not worry about the life span, weight and overall health of their dogs. I'm sorry that I am going to be blunt again, but overweight dogs are not healthy dogs. A GSD carrying an extra 10-20 lbs on their frame is going to have trouble with joints, spine and movement and the lifespan will most definitely be shortened. If a person is ok with a fat Gsd that only lives to 8 years old, I guess that is their choice. It is not a good enough choice for my dogs and I owe them that. People with heavy dogs do to love their dogs anymore or any less than I love mine, I just care for mine is a far healthier way.

Here is Boomer last week at 11 years old recalling and jumping a 4' ditch. He weighs a skinny 70 something lbs. The dog is still agile, still works and can still run. If I killed him with kindness and treats and got him to 90 lbs as a younger dog I doubt he would be doing so well today. His heaviest was a lean, muscular 84 lbs.

Reactions: cherub737
#11 ·
The dog that the OP posted is absolutely a beautiful dog. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

It is concerning to me when people do not worry about the life span, weight and overall health of their dogs. I'm sorry that I am going to be blunt again, but overweight dogs are not healthy dogs. A GSD carrying an extra 10-20 lbs on their frame is going to have trouble with joints, spine and movement and the lifespan will most definitely be shortened. If a person is ok with a fat Gsd that only lives to 8 years old, I guess that is their choice. It is not a good enough choice for my dogs and I owe them that. People with heavy dogs do to love their dogs anymore or any less than I love mine, I just care for mine is a far healthier way.

Here is Boomer last week at 11 years old recalling and jumping a 4' ditch. He weighs a skinny 70 something lbs. The dog is still agile, still works and can still run. If I killed him with kindness and treats and got him to 90 lbs as a younger dog I doubt he would be doing so well today. His heaviest was a lean, muscular 84 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6Mg0N-wEo
Still looks sorry to me. Who's the other dog?

#13 ·
If your dog's lifespan is short simply because of his breed that's one thing. If it is short because he is carrying extra weight then that's a whole other issue.

I doubt anyone is suggesting that bigger breeds who have shorter average lifespans are bad or shouldn't be owned. What is being suggested is to keep your dog at a healthy weight to maximize lifespan

#18 ·
If GSDs were limited to the same height, length and depth, their desired weight would be similar. Assuming a 100 lb GSD is overweight is naive, it implies that all GSDs are the same dimension, when in all likeliness this dog is taller, longer or deeper than the breed standard, making them heavier. The issue is not with obesity but with breeders making poor choices.

I don't really get why a heavy dog is instantly assumed to be overweight? The dog in the picture looks a reasonable weight to me, if he were meant to be within breed standard he would be much more pudgy than in the picture.

#20 ·
I never said the dog in the photo was overweight, but if a dog was at the breed standard he would not be "pudgy." Reasonable is not the correct standard or way to judge weight on a dog. That is purely subjective, and we need to be objective when analyzing our dogs, in weight, shape, temperament and working abilities. Many folks are not objective nor are they "reasonable when it comes to their own dogs. I suppose people and vets need to see more fit and in shape dogs to be able to judge reasonably. I admit, I have a serious advantage as I am around and work athletic dogs everyday. So, when I see a "heavy", pudgy, or overweight dog it is immediately apparent. I judge condition of the dogs I work every day and will often tell handlers there dog needs to lose a pound or two or is simply fat. I have a critical eye and look at my dogs and others dogs objectively. Keeping and maintaining a dog at the correct weight is something that I believe is very important.

You also do not need to be a "handler", trainer or dog show judge to learn how to tell if a dog is overweight, even by a pound or two. It was explained by several people in the other thread quite thoroughly.

Oversized GSD's do not go by different rules for being in shape, lean or overweight. Because a GSD is 26, 28 or 30" inches at the shoulder does not make it ok to be 5, 10, 20 or 30 lbs overweight. Pudgy is not good on any sized GSD in my way of thinking, even more so on an oversized dog.

I will apologize in advance if I have offended anyone. This post is meant in a general way and a general response to keeping a dog a few or more pounds overweight. I know for some this is like calling your kid ugly, sorry! I am not criticizing anyones dog, again the dog in the photo is a gorgeous dog. I will direct my comments to the kind, loving owners of GSD's and other breeds who think it is ok to have big, fat dogs. I'm sure your dogs are awesome, no offense to the heavy dogs in the world. :wink2: But, to the owners of heavy dogs, put them on a proper diet, get them some exercise and have fun with them. Stop all the milk bones and get out and walk them. Throwing a toy to a dog, praising a dog will be more appreciated than handing it cookies. Weight is not a measure of a dog's worth, ability, make it any better, or how much it loves you.

#19 ·
Your boy is so handsome! Can you take a standing pic looking down at him. It will show better how he has s carrying that weight. I had a mix that was fat. Finally took the rose glasses off and did something about it. Did this when she was 11. She became so agile and acted like a pup again. She crossed at just shy of 15. I won't beat myself up for getting her fat but I know for certain that had she not lost the weight when she did, I would have lost her 3yrs sooner. The summer before she passed she was running circles round my young gsd.

Check his weight by the feel of his ribs and backbone. Tons of threads on how to gauge it. Your going to do fine by this boy.

#21 ·
Oh ... I go away for a few hours, I come back and "discover" that every GSD over 100 lbs is overweight??? That is news to "us???"

Last I checked ... there were no "size or weight restrictions" for "Family Pets???" And clearly Size and Weight is hardly the only factor in determining a dog's "life span." Sadly many of us "Boxers" owners, with slim and lean dogs find out that 9 to 10 years if we are lucky ... is pretty much the norm. :(

But you know your "fat" GSD is gonna die young, is always the go to argument ... against "our" dogs but whatever. My OS WL GSD (as it happened) ... has already put a lie to the "100 lb's" die young "myth" but whatever.

And he did balloon up to 121, at one point many years and I freaked ... more exercise and a handful of kibble in the morning and one meal a day and back down to 112 ... we're good with that weight. His job is being a "family pet" and that job has no size requirements ... last I checked.

#24 ·
(

But you know your "fat" GSD is gonna die young, is always the go to argument ... against "our" dogs but whatever. My OS WL GSD (as it happened) ... has already put a lie to the "100 lb's" die young "myth" but whatever.
*Shrug* My grandmom smokes like a chimney, eats fried food and sugar, and loves whisky.... And she's 86 and doesnt have heart disease or diabetes. That doesn't mean her lifestyle is healthy or should be emulated.

That said, it is important to know the dog's dimensions. However even if the gsd has a bigger frame I would err on the side of skinny.

#23 ·
I am speaking in dimensions not weight. If a 100 lb dog were within breed standard for dimensions and was meant to be in breed standard completely, it would be pudgy at 100 lbs.

Point being that if a GSD is taller or longer or wider than the breed standard, it should weigh more too.

#28 ·
Who here is claiming that a GSD can be within the breed standard of dimensions and be over 100 Lbs healthy. What's your point? Just saying it to say it?

From what I have seen all of us with large GSDs are saying hey, our dogs are either taller, deeper or longer than the breed standard, that's why our dogs are heavy.

#35 ·
A reasonable question.:)

The obvious answer is he looks like a "WL GSD" not a SL or WG SL never seen either in "real life." But well ... as you know ... I did see two "WL GSD's" Black and Tan's ... under unfavorable circumstances. And one of them was a "MWD." Rocky looked just like them but of course bigger and Black. :)

Beyond that "Breed Characteristic" the good and the bad! He should have gone to a "Working Home" I would think?? But hear not likely would have been "culled." But ... here he is but "Wobblers" so, you know ...he should be "easy enough??" :)

According to what I read here ... he should be a genetic mess and a nerve bag??? But in his lifetime ... he's made to very good independent clear headed decisions over which I had no control. And both times ... I am glad he did!

But where he came from ... I have no idea??? Most likely were it not for "Wobblers" I would not have him. He is the only "rescue" I've dealt with where they would not tell me "anything" about his background ... not even a city??? He's a mystery wrapped in an enigma??

It's too bad becasue, I would luv to have another just like him. And I was not a "GSD" guy ... but "Rocky" ... "family pet" and all ... has been very impressive. But I can't answer what I don't know???

#36 ·
@Chip, so you are basing Rocky being a "working line" GSD by looks? I'm sure Rocky is a great dog and you sure have given him a great home. He is a lucky dog to have found you, no doubt about that.

You should know that there are plenty of sable, bicolor, black and black and tan GSD's that are simply American bred dogs. Nothing wrong with that at all. But, one can not say a dog is a working line dog purely going by looks or even temperament. What determines is a dog is a WGSL, WGWL, Czech, or ASL is the lines and breeding behind the dog. A pedigree tells you this. I am into pedigrees and GSD's. I have been confused over your use of OSWL GSD as this is a peculiar description. It is a rather odd way to describe a GSD, but does fit in with these threads. When people discuss GSD's and describe them as WL, SL, WGWL, Czech, WGSL or ASL we know exactly what they are referring too. OS WL is really a different, non-traditional way to describe a dog.

#37 ·
That's fair and yep I understand that now. But I can't answer questions on his background as I don't know??

His "actual" background is just one of life's mysteries?? I don't recommend GSD's to anyone in any case. And my guy is obviously over sized. As to my assessment based on looks ... well I've not seen a Zebra in real life either ..but I know what one looks like. :p

But fear not ... if I tell JQP "OS WL GSD" and they are truly curious ... when they dig deeper ... apparently they won't find that in "Breed Description??" So they will have to dig deeper still ... thus in a way "we"... do well by the breed. In any case regardless of "what his background" is. He serves as a good example of the breed. Although ... he's still not crazy about people but he is civil. He does actually "like" ex Vet's for some reason?? I have no idea what that's about?? :)

#40 ·
Uhhh..... We simply do not require our pets to be in the standard, especially those of us who rescue, it's of little concern to us what our pets look like and what elitists make of our pets.One could say your relentless comments on size are to disparage our dogs who are larger than breed standard. But really, what does it matter? Our dogs are pets, we are not breeding them.

#42 ·
That simply is not the reality, some GSDs are bigger than your preference, and I don't feel our dogs are less worthy of loving homes and PROUD owners simply because they do not conform to your ideals.

So what is your argument? There are restrictions on family pets? That's a joke!

#43 ·
My preference? Thank you, but I had no hand in creating the breed or its standard.

You don't know what my preference is because I have not stated it.

Nobody said over sized German Shepherds are less worthy of loving homes because they don't conform to Max von Stephanitz's breed standard.

I never stated anything about my ideals, why are you stirring up controversy by making false accusations? I didn't even remotely say any of those things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.