GSD over 100lbs! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

GSD over 100lbs!

Does anyone else have a GSD over 100lbs? I estimate my dog Jax to be 115lb. He was 108 about two months ago. The vet says he's perfectly fine and not overweight but when I see other GSDs, Jax looks like a bear!

I feed him once a day (in the mornings). Should I be feeding him smaller portions twice a day?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4947-2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	413817  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 PM

I would absolutely feed him twice a day. I would be concerned about bloat and limiting his food at each feeding.

He is a beautiful dog.

You posted this thread in "Braggs!!" Why do you think a GSD over 100 lbs is something to brag about? I'm just curious as it pertains to another thread on the forum regarding GSD's and weight.

Jim
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 AM

My boy's sire was 110, not fat at all with a great temperament. He was imported from Germany and had his BH. I suspect he was sold to my breeder because he was over the standard and no one in Germany would breed him, but crazy Americans would. My boy is gorgeous and has a wonderful personality and is now 90 lbs at age 3.

But with his size and long hair I suspect it is harder for him in the heat. He is a tank where my much smaller female is a rocket.

Your guy is gorgeous. I feed my dogs a small breakfast, then training treats through the day...which I try to keep as healthy treats...then a larger dinner since I know we'll be settling down for the night. 

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:07 AM
Elite Member

yeah i wouldn't brag about an over 100lb GSD. i'm hoping to get 14 years out of my normal sized girl. you might lose your dog at 8 or 9. if big is in his genetics nothing you can do though. i would cut his food in half and feed twice. not because of bloat but for digestive regularity. good looking dog though! good luck with him and stick around and post more pics.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

He a very handsome dog. I like feeding two meals a day -for myself it seems to help me focus more on what and how much I'm feeding the dogs. In the past I have fed dogs once a day and often it was quick and rushed. Our first Gsd developed bad arthritis in his later years and was harder to keep the weight off as exercise was lessened. He was not grossly over weight 90 lbs he was thin and in good shape anything over that he was overweight so we kept watch it does sneak up which can happen fast. The 100lbs mark we knew we had work to do. Being overweight takes years off a dog they don't have many. Max is he could stand to loose about 2 -3 pounds. He is roughly about 83lbs. The winter has been rough on the both of us lol! Spring is coming yay! Our King Charles was the most challenging dog I ever had keeping weight off it was a battle of the bulge. she did not eat much dog food but would eat Who knows what outside. We tested her thyroid and everything -later I found it was peanuts in them wild bird food outside that may have been adding to the cause her weight gain.

Last edited by Jenny720; 03-23-2017 at 11:10 AM.
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I didn't mean to brag! I had no idea how to start a post and I just click around a few times until I saw an area to post a a thread. I'm very new to this forum. once I posted it, I saw that it was being put in the "brag" section and I didn't know how to retract it! lol
squerly and Chip18 like this.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameder View Post
I didn't mean to brag! I had no idea how to start a post and I just click around a few times until I saw an area to post a a thread. I'm very new to this forum. once I posted it, I saw that it was being put in the "brag" section and I didn't know how to retract it! lol
Oh no sweat I imagine just starting out forums are a bit confusing???

Rocky is an Over Size Wl GSD also he was 116 at 14 months many years ago now and 112 today. I never heard the "Bear" bit before. But I get is he a "Wolf" quite a bit ... I always say, no he's just a dog. Welcome aboard and he's a handsome boy.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Master Member

Mine was 132 last year and his last weigh in a couple weeks ago he was 107.

I feed my boy 3 cups a day, 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I also soak his kibble in warm water to get more moisture into his diet; Dr. Karen Becker mentioned it in one of her videos.

Itís true that a smaller dog would have a longer life span, but that does not mean bigger dogs should be avoided. My Pyr is bigger than my GSD, she might have a shorter life span but that doesnít mean I should have gotten a smaller dog. Great Danes have very short lives, too, but that wouldnít make me avoid the breed.

Donít let people shame you because your dog might not live as long, yes you should always look for breeders that breed within the standard, I donít know where you got your dog from, but longer lifespan doesnít mean a superior dog, if it did I would have a Dachshund.
Sabis mom, Coleen and semcat66 like this.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:36 PM

Jax is beautiful! As Dracovich posted, I wouldn't worry about what other people think about weight/life span. My 9 y/o female GSH/Golden Retriever mix is about 105 right now (once the weather turns a bit nicer, she'll "slim down" to about 95lbs). As a larger dog, she might have a shorter lifespan than a smaller GSH but I wouldn't give up the years I've had (and will have for whatever time she has left) with her at all. As long as your vet says Jax is at a healthy weight, don't sweat it. Bonita is on a raw diet and I feed her in the morning (chicken thigh or small leg quarter) and in the evening (chicken leg) and she gets a few healthy snacks throughout the day. With the addition of our new puppy, she's been getting a few extra training treats and beef ribs.

Cheers!
Susan

Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
Bonita - GSD/Golden Retriever - 1/24/98 -
Porter - GSD - 12/17/16 -
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 03:57 PM

The dog that the OP posted is absolutely a beautiful dog. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

It is concerning to me when people do not worry about the life span, weight and overall health of their dogs. I'm sorry that I am going to be blunt again, but overweight dogs are not healthy dogs. A GSD carrying an extra 10-20 lbs on their frame is going to have trouble with joints, spine and movement and the lifespan will most definitely be shortened. If a person is ok with a fat Gsd that only lives to 8 years old, I guess that is their choice. It is not a good enough choice for my dogs and I owe them that. People with heavy dogs do to love their dogs anymore or any less than I love mine, I just care for mine is a far healthier way.

Here is Boomer last week at 11 years old recalling and jumping a 4' ditch. He weighs a skinny 70 something lbs. The dog is still agile, still works and can still run. If I killed him with kindness and treats and got him to 90 lbs as a younger dog I doubt he would be doing so well today. His heaviest was a lean, muscular 84 lbs.

cherub737 likes this.

Jim

Last edited by Slamdunc; 03-27-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page