German Shepherds Forum banner

Leaving dog in car, crated with windows down

3K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
I want to take my dogs for a hike but Gracie can't handle something longer. If it's 68 degrees, would she be okay waiting in a crate in the back of my SUV with all of the windows rolled down all the way? For a couple hours?

#2 ·
I wouldn't. The car will insulate the heat, even with the windows down, and it will become very hot in there for her.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
she should be fine as long as she's in the shade with the windows down. Also make sure she has fresh water. Dogs can handle being in the car for awhile if you're smart about it and they're comfortable in the car. People that do dog sports still train when it's hot all the time and dogs are fine, just have access to shade, air flow, and water. I have a cooling mat for my dog's crate, a water bucket, battery powered fan, and a reflective mesh tarp that shades her crate from the sun if no shade is available. I also check on her and allow her to get in the creek to cool off occasionally. Most people at club have the same exact set up.
You can get metal mesh screens so you can leave your windows down and get air flow in the car but keep people from getting in. Home Depot has a Ryobi battery powered fan for about $40 and Ray Allen MFG sells the reflective shade tarps.

#9 · (Edited)
If the windows are down, and you park in the shade and she is locked in a crate -- padlock. Then she will be fine unless someone comes and does something to her. A couple of hours is a long time for your dog to be in a remote, but public area. If it is very remote, you have to worry about someone doing her harm. If it is more public, you have to worry about some yayhoo calling animal control or the police, that can get itchy, depending on who responds to the call.

Frankly, it isn't a good idea.

ETA: Some things you can't take back. If something were to happen to your dog, you would have to live with that. Getting a ticket or having to explain yourself to the police or dog warden isn't the end of the world. If your dog is injured or killed or stolen or let loose to be lost, and possibly worse, then you will have to live with that.

Reactions: charger
#13 ·
I wouldn't leave my windows down and my dog in a crate in the car. I travel all over with my dogs and I would be too afraid either Boomer or Boru would break out of a crate if is someone came near the car. Crates are not designed to contain dogs that want to get out.

At 68 degrees I would either leave the car running with the AC on and door locked or run a fan and leave the windows down slightly and hatchback cracked. I go to Florida several times a year with Boru. He spends a fair amount of time in the car. I bought a Halo Bolt battery charger and AC power source:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cha...rd_wg=nPyBv&psc=1&refRID=9ZZEQ89M4RSM46W627EP

It ran a large box fan for over 4 hours on one charge. I am considering going wth a solar panel, but the Halo Bolt was less expensive, more portable and has other uses.

I also use the vent lock and leerburg carries them. It allows you to leave the rear door on a minivan or SUV opened several inches, but you can still lock the door.

https://www.amazon.com/305mm-inch-V...8&qid=1490241064&sr=8-1&keywords=leerburg+car

I also have vent covers on my windows so I can leave the windows cracked even in the rain. I would not leave my windows down, it is asking for someone to come by and steal stuff out of car and hopefully not your dog.

Reactions: charger
#14 ·
I left my GSD in my jeep on Monday. It was 63 degrees. He had water and food and the windows were about 1/2 way down. He was in there for 3 hours while I was delivering mail and believe me I had a total anxiety attack and rushed back because I was picturing him getting overheated.

Now I take my work jeep out of the post office garage and park my personal jeep in there during the 2-3 hour period because the garage has heat or A/C running in it so he will never overheat and will be in the shade.

When I can take my top and doors off and run web cargo nets around the back area then I won't worry so much unless it hits 80 because he will be in open air. Believe me nobody will be able to steal him as he will growl and snarl at anyone that puts their hands on my jeep. He considers that "his space" and only myself and my husband can put our head/hands in the back end of the jeep without issue. He has been trained to not allow strangers to touch my jeep without my permission. I will run a pet divider behind the front seats so he can't get out through the front though I doubt he would even consider it.

#16 ·
In emergency situations I left the car running with air con on and brake on. I put my extra set of keys in the ignition( to run the aircon) and kept a set of keys with me. This is only for a short while 10- 15 minutes. This was when my dog was full grown and anyone would be crazy to open the door and take my car with my beloved protective gsd waiting for me inside. i would never keep my dog in the car without aircon ( the heat can go from zero to death rate in a short time). In California county where I live citizens are aloud to break the window of a dog trapped inside a car at 70 fahrenheit outside without any repercussions and I personally think that is the right kind of law. Like the other poster said if its not an emergency leave the dog home its just not worth it. Thank you op for posting and asking for advice. This is why I love this forum so much.

#18 ·
My car runs the entire day when my dog (s) are in it, I never turn it off. Which is everyday. My AC runs all day and the rear AC runs for the dog. On really hot days, 90+ I leave the hood open when I'm not in the car and it is idling. It's not a big deal to leave a reliable, well maintained car running for a few hours and the gas consumption is rather minimal. My car idles for my entire shift, 5 days a week. When I travel in the summer my Honda Odyssey will run or idle all day as well with my dogs in it. I do check on my dogs frequently, at least every 15 minutes if I'm not in the car with them.

Reactions: MayzieGSD
#21 ·
We've lost more than one police dog in Ashtabula County, Ohio (NE Ohio) this way. The man wants to leave the dog for hours at a time. I would take my chances with the windows down, then take my chances on an AC system, whether it is specific for the dog or the car.

And if the car is running with the AC on, then someone could take your car -- they would have to get the door open, sure. But they will most likely leave the dog in the car with the windows up when they ditch it. Maybe not. But I just wouldn't do this. It is illegal in my state to leave a car running unattended -- unless you are a sherriff's deputy or a police officer.

#19 ·
To leave your dog in the car a few hours can lead to many hours on hikes without being able to check in. There are people who have the right set up and right vehicle but you still need to check in on your dog. I would say better off leaving your dog home you will not enjoy yourself constantly worrying. You will enjoy yourself more and so will your dog.

#20 ·
To leave your dog in the car a few hours can lead to many hours on hikes without being able to check in. There are people who have the right set up and right vehicle but you still need to check in on your dog. I would say better off leaving your dog home you will not enjoy yourself constantly worrying. You will enjoy yourself more and so will your dog.
Yeah, I would be. Sounds like I should just leave her at home.

But I will check out the window screens - those look neat

#26 ·
I would not suggest making it a habit of leaving your car idling with the AC for long periods of time unless you do not plan on keeping your vehicle long. This is horrible for a gasoline engine, a Diesel engine it is completely fine. Sitting at idle the engine never gets hot enough to burn fuel and moisture efficiently. This will cause issues with the exhaust system rusting badly and failing, emissions sensors getting fouled, and sometimes cloudy engine oil from the build up in moisture.
Being a mechanic for 10+ years I see this a lot. Look in your car's owner's manual, it will state that short trips or excessive idling classifies as severe conditions.

#27 ·
I have not had a problem with letting my car idle all day. I do have a lot of engine hours on my car, over 8,000 and only 36,000 miles on a 2014 Ford Explorer. I think over 5,000 are idling hours. The car still runs great, and I have no issues. Front and rear AC run all day also. The car is put through some severe conditions as well, not while idling, more like when I am driving. :grin2: That Interceptor package is really nice, my brakes don't smoke at high speed driving and go away like they did on the Crown Vics and it handles a whole lot better.

In my Honda Odyssey van I will let he car idle all day if it is hot with the AC on for the dog. I'm sure you are correct, but my dogs are worth more to me than my car. Actually, they quite literally are worth more than the car.

Reactions: Nurse Bishop
#30 ·
My question to the Op is Why can Gracie not go for a two hour hike? Most GSDs would love to go on a two hour hike.

#33 ·
Growing up I had an Aussie, she was only a few years younger than me and she LOVED hiking and walking, until she got old and I remember the first walk where she laid in the middle of the road panting and exhausted. I had to carry her to the car with my brother, she was probably 10 years old at the time. She lived to be 16 years old, passed away a few years ago, she could only do half mile walks during her final years.

Even aside from old age, two hours of hiking can be strenuous for other reasons, health issues, terrain, easy heat exhaustion etc.

#37 ·
We must have taken our Aussie to the vet 5 times about her limping and slowness (mostly when standing from laying down), every time it was just arthritis, in which case exercise can help. Even so, the older a dog gets the less stamina they have and there's nothing to be done about it, there's no cure to old age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.