We got a new pup but not a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We got a new pup but not a GSD

We have been working with a trainer with Charlie to address her dog reactivity. The pup who is 10 months old a lab mix named Hershey moved in this weekend after what was supposed to be a trial run. He is cute young dog who is very submissive and Charlie mothers him. The trainer hopes he will become a diabetic alert dog or a therapy dog for me to take to work.. He is a great pup but he is not a GSD . I miss Lucky and Daisy so much. Lucky has been gone almost a year short a week. I just don't have the enthusiasm I did with Daisy or Lucky.I'm in a situation where I think I'm standing in mine own way. Do dogs grow on you? Charlie is so much my husband's dog more than mine. and we don't have the bond I had with Daisy and Lucky who we had from pups, well Daisy from 8 weeks and Lucky from about 10 months. Charlie and Hershey are having a great time. I meet with the trainer tonight any suggestions or past experiences with bonding with a new dog. The other thing I've wondered is that Daisy and Lucky were my first dogs and both were with me during some rough times. I just expected I would be more excited but maybe I'm not seeing how great this could be cause when you say dog I picture a German Shepherd.
selzer likes this.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Knighted Member

Why did you take a dog you aren't interested in? Yes, I think you can get attached to any dog you are spending time with if you bond. But if you have made up your mind you aren't going to like him, it's going to be hard. What about getting an older dog that you already know can be an alert dog? It doesn't make sense to me to take a dog you don't want and might not serve the intended purpose.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Why did you take a dog you aren't interested in? Yes, I think you can get attached to any dog you are spending time with if you bond. But if you have made up your mind you aren't going to like him, it's going to be hard. What about getting an older dog that you already know can be an alert dog? It doesn't make sense to me to take a dog you don't want and might not serve the intended purpose.
Its not that I'm not interested or don't like him. I haven't taken him permanently and there is the opportunity at any time that the trainer will take him back. I was very excited last week about the visit when I'm at home and Hershey is there its great , I play with him, plan to take him to Pet supply plus for toys tomorrow night. I guess what worries me is that I might never get the chance to have another GSD. I'm sorry if this is confusing maybe I'm looking for that feeling I had with a newborn puppy.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Its hard to find a trained diabetic alert dog its very expensive. The other issue is any dog has to be able to deal w/ Charlie. So far Hershey is doing this plus he really likes her and she really likes him ,no aggression like we saw with Lucky. Any dog coming in we have to have some balance with Charlie as I don't want to do separation we did when Lucky came and our lab pit mix and he had separate floors in the house. This is our chance to try this and for my husband and Charlie it is working very well. I'm happy when I'm with Hershey and I haven't had any chance to just do stuff with him like going to the store and other stuff to build the relationship. My husband does not do any training and he is just happy with the dogs being around . I want a dog who can go to stores with me and who we can take camping. He has been going to training with Charlie and he really likes Hershey but his expectation of a dog is just to be there. I had an extreme low blood sugar last night and Hershey laid on top of me when I was cold and Charlie sat next to me. There are positives. Im just looking for that excited I cant wait to see them feeling. Charlie is a major factor in any dog that comes to our home. Rehoming is not on the table as she has sight problems and her reactivity which we will continue to work with.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
Its not that I'm not interested or don't like him. I haven't taken him permanently and there is the opportunity at any time that the trainer will take him back.
I was surprised to read this. It sounds more like an item you ordered on Amazon that you can return in case you don't like it. I think you got this new dog too soon after Lucky died. You first need to grieve Lucky before you can make a good decision on what you are looking for. I would give the dog back so he can be with someone who loves him from the very start and it will relax you as well. If your heart is with a GSD, get a GSD.
Diegotxe and Dracovich like this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Knighted Member

That is a different picture. Is there a reason you can't eventually get another German Shepherd puppy in the future?

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 03-20-2017 at 01:10 PM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

If you want a GSD puppy, get one. Don't make do with the Lab mix because you will still want a GSD puppy. Life is too short.
Aly, wolfy dog and Diegotxe like this.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. - Thomas Jefferson

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Knighted Member

What breed is the new dog? You said Lab. What else is it mixed with?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I was surprised to read this. It sounds more like an item you ordered on Amazon that you can return in case you don't like it. I think you got this new dog too soon after Lucky died. You first need to grieve Lucky before you can make a good decision on what you are looking for. I would give the dog back so he can be with someone who loves him from the very start and it will relax you as well. If your heart is with a GSD, get a GSD.
My husband loves labs and this is his chance. Maybe your right Wolfy dog but I also want to give this a chance to develop. Your right that line I typed is not the wide open acceptance I've had with other rescues. On the other hand I was also supposed to has some time for Hershey and I to do some things together and that has not happened yet. IO have been treated for depression since Lucky passed and I've noticed I really second and third guess myself. I play with Hershey and I cuddle with him which is a bonus as he wants to be on your lap all the time when he is not playing. I guess what I'm hearing is I shouldn't have any ambivalence with regard to taking a new dog on.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
What breed is the new dog? You said Lab. What else is it mixed with?
Lab with something else. The guy the trainer got the dog off of said he was pure bred but he has a white priest collar on his neck and some while on his belly. He is really skinny ,narrow hips. If you look at his face and ears he looks all chocolate lab . I wonder about Irish setter or some pointer or hound. He loves the water and has great leash manners and is great with other dogs.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page