What do you bring with you on walks for protection? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 376Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

What do you bring with you on walks for protection?

So I was with Mila this morning going for a walk down to the beach. I like to take her in the morning because less people are out and she can burn off some of her energy starting the day off right. Mila is 3 months old and about 20lbs+ I need to weigh her again. Anyways, we were walking and there was an older man looked like he was in his 80's or so walking his little chihuahua about 20ft down the path. Mila sat down to take a sniff of nature so I decided we would just wait for them to go by then keep walking.

I had her leash shortened up just to make sure I had a good hold on her incase the little dog excited her, I didn't want the older man to be nervous that she would reach them. Maybe it was a bad idea now in hindsight. He stopped once he saw her and was making eye contact with me as he reached down to the ground. I thought in my head for some reason that he was going to be picking up a stick because the way he was looking at Mila. When he came back up I saw that he had not just picked up a stick but lifted up a huge log about a foot around and 2 feet long! I was surprised. It looked like something to knock me out with, I am only 5'2" not my puppy.

I got a VERY, VERY uneasy feeling about the situation. I watched him carry it as he came towards us down the path. The whole time Mila was just sitting there silent not being threatening or aggressive in any way. The manner in which this guy did this was a clear message saying, "I got this in case your dog comes after my little dog". I kept my eye on him the whole time as he passed us and made sure I was in between Mila and him. She didn't bark or anything when they went by, he then randomly commented that she was "going to be a handful to handle". I said nothing and kept going.

I watched them keep walking and saw him throw the log down once they got further out of reach. It may sound silly but the situation was upsetting to me. I had never felt nervous or anything like that before with her or as concerned for her safety. I felt vulnerable because I knew if anything would have sparked him the situation would have gone badly because that log was no joke and could have caused serious damage to myself or Mila. I also knew that to the cops an elderly man with his little dog would make us automatically look like the aggressors since Mila is still a GSD who even as a puppy can be intimidating to some. Thankfully nothing more happened but it really made me think about needing something to protect ourselves when we are out since you never know what situation you can run into.

I would never want to have any situation with my dog turn into a serious one but I do realize that people are unpredictable and it is best to have something for safety and never have to use it then not having it when I unexpectedly need it, whatever "it" may be. So what if anything do you guys bring with you on walks with your dog for protection/safety?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Elite Member

I walk with a Leki trekking pole for stability on these bumpy dirt roads. It has a point on the end of it that would suffice as a protection, I Hope! I want to carry a squirt bottle of ammonia, too, but I cannot find ammonia anywhere here!
ksotto333 likes this.
post #3 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Well Erica0629, I was going to suggest a 9mm but I see you live in California so I guess that's out. Not knowing enough about your states laws I can't suggest much more than possibly a big stick?

Jim

post #4 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
Well Erica0629, I was going to suggest a 9mm but I see you live in California so I guess that's out. Not knowing enough about your states laws I can't suggest much more than possibly a big stick?
I think stun guns are legal I know tasers are out, expandable batons are also a big no no...
post #5 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Elite Member

Quick wit and a heavy foot.
LuvShepherds, Nigel and ausdland like this.
post #6 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica0629 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
I think stun guns are legal I know tasers are out, expandable batons are also a big no no...
Such different worlds. Here in South Carolina I'm pretty sure I could carry a bazooka and it would be legal. That said, I never have felt like that was necessary. I always have figured if someone is going to attack me when i have a GSD they must be nuts anyway.
Erica0629 likes this.
post #7 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:29 PM

Pepper spray and sometimes a skinning knife. In my state it is legal to carry a pistol, so when I get a pistol I will carry that as well.

I also carry a parting stick as a precautionary tool, for my dog.

My husband and I bought a taser walking cane for my father in law because he was attacked by two GSDs on a walk, the sound alone from the taser is terrifying. My in laws have small dogs though, so it was a dangerous situation.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

A well trained GSD
squerly, Chip18, cloudpump and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Crowned Member

Here's the thing you've got to remember living in California (I moved from there about 18 month ago). If you arm yourself with a club of any kind that is a Felony/wobbler in the State of California 22210 P.C. So the way around that is to get a legitimate walking stick and that is lawful for you to possess. If you use it as a weapon your explanation is simple. I was being attacked and all I had was my walking stick to defend myself.

The crazy thing about California is if you carried a loaded firearm (as long as you are not prohibited from possessing a firearm and you have no weapons violation or prior arrests for weapons violation(s)) then the violation for carrying a loaded firearm is a Misdemeanor. Look at California Penal Code section 25400 for further information.

Good luck!
Nigel, Chip18, ausdland and 2 others like this.

Last edited by RZZNSTR; 03-16-2017 at 05:51 PM.
post #10 of 275 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Master Member

Bear repellent in the mountains and collapsible baton in urban.

For you, if you're not accustomed to combat, pepper spray. And it sounds like you handled that perfectly. My former trainer is a skinny woman and carries pepper spray one her doggy pouch, for animals and humans.

Get used to those reactions from people and dogs. A lot automatically think a GSD is aggressive. I'm always surprised when people ask if my happy, sweet pup is aggressive. I guess her high, wagging tail and smile make her look ferocious.
Erica0629 likes this.

Last edited by ausdland; 03-16-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page