German Shepherds Forum banner

Just because parents and grandparents xrayed clear does not guarantee that pup will.

797 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Caroline5 
#1 ·
Just got a call from a friend. Her 1 year old showquality female was xrayed this past week and she got the results back today. Sadly it was not good news. Even though her parents and grandparents are all certified clear she came back with hip dysplasia. Bottomline, even if your dog's pedigree is all clear is no guarantee that your dog will not have bad hips or elbows.
She lives here in the PNW and will be placing the dog in a good home when she finds one. She is in no rush and will be careful as to who she lets the dog go to.

#2 ·
It's a fact. It was the same with my golden. Severe hip dysplasia at 17 months, well that is when the hip dislocated. The second hip was just getting ready to go when I brought him in for the second surgery, vet said we just made it. Thousands and thousands of dollars for surgeries and rehab.

#4 ·
That's pretty common knowledge. HD is not just a genetic disease. Many factors go into causing HD and the smart people don't have all the reasons figured out. When you are dealing with living creatures, nothing is guaranteed. The only guarantee you have is in a contract stating what the breeder will do if your dog develops it. Not whether or not your dog develops it.

#7 ·
My contract never uses the word "guarantee" and specifically outlines why it is a warranty....the HD issue is one that is not only widely known to be a GSD problem, it is the first thing non-GSD people identify as a question when inquiring about a puppy.

There are degrees of failure - I had 2 pups fail whose owners would not redo, even though Vet School University board certified radiologists advised be redone and submitted - the dogs both lived and even worked to old age with nary a symptom of HD....I have seen OFA Excellents and Fails in the same litter more than once...

OFA says that environment can affect hip ratings....there are two components, and structure is one of them....that is the genetic part....shape of femoral heads, necks, sockets are just as genetic as ear set, angulation of rear - shoulder and croup, length of back - forearm - all those bones are under the fur! Why would hip structure NOT be just as genetic as the others? The second component, environment - including exercise and diet can affect growing animals and cause stress to those bones and ligaments causing damage. I bought a show quality Great Dane in the early 70's....at 6 months old she was out every day for 1-3 hours with me while I rode and schooled horses...by 7 she was compromised...way way way too much exercise too young....she became a couch potato and was PTS at 14 due to stifles - not being able to get up and down. I cringe now at letting her run so much so young.

Breeders do the best that they can when pairing up dogs, no one wants or expects to get HD, but both buyers and breeders must accept that it is a chance taken in every breeding, in every litter. I make that very clear in my contract and in conversation with prospective buyers. These are not mechanical, engineered objects - they are a product of their genetics which can be a lottery at times.

Lee

#8 ·
She lives here in the PNW and will be placing the dog in a good home when she finds one. She is in no rush and will be careful as to who she lets the dog go to.
Not criticizing just wondering. Is she a breeder, what is the purpose of rehome. Because the dog tested + for HD.

#9 ·
Not criticizing just wondering. Is she a breeder, what is the purpose of rehome. Because the dog tested + for HD.
She has been breeding for 45 years. This pup came from another kennel. Purpose of rehome is so that she can be someone's loving pet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.