German Shepherds Forum banner

Big WOOFers in with my SubWoofers

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  MyHans-someBoy 
#1 ·
Hello! I haven't had subwoofers in any of my previous 3 vehicles and its been a few years since I had a set in my old jeep. Knowing how badly ive wanted another system, my fiancée bought me a couple awesome Rockford Fosgate subs to put in my new jeep I just bought this past year.

All is good..... but in the last couple years of having my shepherds, I have quickly fallen in love with traveling, hiking, kayaking and doing whatever I can with my boys.. and the Jeep lives up to all of this activity! The one issue I'm trying to dance around is having the enormous box, the subs, amp and capacitor in the back of the jeep with a potential wet/ slobbery/ muddy pair of dogs back there. For longer trips I put the back seat down and the boys get the entire cargo area, but on shorter trips they have the hammock-style seat cover on the back seat. The dogs>subwoofers, but id like to find a way to have the best of both worlds.

I have pondered maybe trying to make the subs maneuverable and just take them out if I knew we were going to the lake or up to the mountains etc.. or turning it sideways while the dogs are back there and having a cover on them. any ideas would be fantastic! also, I would need a way to tuck/stash/hide wiring if I removed the subs on day trips. Please help! I want to keep my subs in good condition!

oh and by the way, since I know someone will probably make a comment about dogs being in the vehicle with a heavy bass....... I'm wiring a killswitch to turn the subs off if the dogs are in the car or i'm listening to a sermon or podcast on the radio :)

thanks! David

See less See more
Reactions: squerly
#7 ·
squerly I love the custom enclosure. looks really good. very functional. do your dogs have a good bit of room? how much work did that take because it looks incredible... as for the negative comments, I got my hater blockers on =)

#8 ·
squerly I love the custom enclosure. looks really good. very functional. do your dogs have a good bit of room? how much work did that take because it looks incredible...
I bought it online. I'll dig around later this evening and find the link. As seen in the last picture, I removed the back seat. Carry dogs more than people so it was an easy decision. Plenty of room for 2 large dogs! They love it and I feel better knowing they're not going to fall out.

#21 ·
So I have to share. I was showing this thread to my hubby and he responded "aren't they going to get upset with you talking about jeeps on a dog forum?" Me "Nope, most jeepers own dogs besides I didn't start the thread - I just kept it going!" >:)

It's a jeep thing - he doesn't understand :wink2:

#22 ·
So I have to share. I was showing this thread to my hubby and he responded "aren't they going to get upset with you talking about jeeps on a dog forum?" Me "Nope, most jeepers own dogs besides I didn't start the thread - I just kept it going!"

It's a jeep thing - he doesn't understand
Nah, sometimes they don't understand. :)

When I asked mine to help me take out the back seat, so I could put down a doggie mattress and make that Hans's area, he rolled his eyes, lol.

There are occasionally some really good threads on the Jeep forum about dogs riding and the best way to secure them, etc.

Oh, and the forum etiquette over there demands that one *never* refer to a Jeep as a car. You'll get a serious verbal butt kicking for doing so. :D

#24 ·
VERY nice Jeeps, MJ and Squerly!!

The TJ I have now is my first Jeep and just like once you have loved a GSD you'll always have at least one in your life-so is the ownership of the Jeep. I can't imagine not always having one. Perfect vehicle-a 4WD in the winter and a convertible in the summer. There's also just about a million different ways to personalize them and make them your own. And a dog riding along...they just go together. :D
Yes, MJ, the Wrangler forum is the best Jeep forum. Lots of traffic (pun intended) just like this forum. It's come in handy, more than once, for tech stuff.
I was working out of town a couple of years ago and my Jeep started making this clunking sound in the front end. It was Friday and I had a long drive home. Wasn't sure it was something I should limp on home with or put in the shop. Went on the Wrangler forum, put a brief description of what it was doing in the search engine, up popped sway bar links. I went to the Jeep, did some looking and yep, that was what it appeared (and sounded like) to be.
I called hubby, told him what parts to pick up, drove home a little slower than normal and he fixed it over the weekend. I was ready to go back out of town to work Sunday night. Pretty handy!
Guess we better quit derailing the OP's thread any further...maybe there could be a Jeep/GSD thread in the Chat Room-with the Admin's permission. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.