German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friend Witnessesd Dog Attack

7K views 80 replies 27 participants last post by  maxtmill 
#1 ·
I spoke to a lady I know today who was telling me a terrible thing that happened around the first of the year. She has had two little westies for about 11 years and she and the dogs are currently staying with her brother. One day a couiple of weeks ago, she was out in the yard with the dogs and the gate was part the way open. Two large dogs came through the gates and went right for her dogs. She somehow managed to get one of the westies away and threw it in the house, but then both of the big dogs were mauling the other westie. My friend grabbed something like a crowbar that was nearby and was hitting the dogs as hard as she could and kicking them, but they wouldn't let go. She was screaming at the top of her voice and two guys heard it and came running. One of them ran and got a gun from somewhere and started shooting toward the dogs, they thinked he nicked one of them, and they ran off. She then grabbed both her little dogs and took them to an emergoncy animal hospital but the one didn't make it.

Animal Control was called and there is a court date coming up. Evidently, the two dogs are frequntly seen running free in the neighborhood, she has some witnesses who will verify that.

My friend said it was one of the worst days of her life, hearing her poor little dog screaming and not being able to save her.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of Pit Bulls. Muscles, teeth and stupid all rolled up in one animal. Dimes to dollars I would be shocked if there wasn't Pit in the culprit. I know everytime I say that out loud somebody defends them. I wont debate it. My mind is made up. Sorry.

#5 · (Edited)
This is exactly what happened to me, but the dogs never got to my dogs because I saw them coming and got to the gate first. I have never ran as fast as I did that day. I knew it was either I get there or my dogs were dead. These two were huge 100 pound males that were solid muscle. I was able to use my weight against the gate with half my body and hold Misty away while my 120 pound lab kept them at bay through the fence. God was with us that day. I still do not know how no one called the police because it was loud. Between them barking and growling at each other and me screaming at the top of my lungs. It was extremely loud. I would not wish that on anyone. It is very scary. I hope thst your friend knows there wasn't much more that could be done and it was not their fault. Very sad.

#6 ·
People just don't care. I'm glad you were alright. I was walking a large GSD down my street when two small dogs attacked unprovoked. One came from the front, the other circled around from the back. It was a Saturday morning and I started yelling as loud as I could. One neighbor called out the window, They are not my dogs, stop shouting. A really nice guy. Finally a young man doing yard work ran over with a rake and smacked the dogs away. That was all I needed and they ran off. Fortunately they didn't get a chance to bite, but I was not happy. I knocked on a lot of doors and never found the dogs again or the owner. They must have lived a few blocks away.

#9 ·
I use a Leki walking pole when I walk, for stability, and the pointy end would serve as a good defense. I have thought about carrying a squirt bottle of ammonia with me just in case. There are tons and tons of loose neighbor dogs and street dogs here where I live.

#12 ·
I had that happen to me once, a way long time ago. We had a Mutt named Meaty Boy, well he was super protective of his yard but never would do anything unless someone or something came into the yard. He was trained well enough to not do anything when we said. However one day we were playing outside with him, we didn't have a fence unfortunately, and two rottweilers came out of nowhere and attacked him. It was an awful battle, as I said he was super protective and it didn't help that we as a family were all outside either. However when animal control came, the owners of the two rotts didn't get fined or anything, however they took our dog away and euthanized him because he was 'violent' and 'out of control'. Reckless people tick me off! I'm sorry about the little dog though. That is so terrible.

I'm not a fan of Pitbulls either to be honest and everyone around us seems to have one. If you say anything about them or act nervous they get super ticked super quick calling you intolerant and all. Get mad when you adopted or get any other dog besides one from a shelter calling you part of the problem and what not. I'm sorry, but I don't trust them from the shelter. Getting a puppy, different story. However it all depends on how they were trained and raised and all! Any breed of dog can go bad without the proper training and upbringing.

#17 ·
This story brought back some awful memories for me. I have had westies all my life and my 2nd pair were attacked by 2 large dogs. The Westies were on leash - my ex was walking them in the park. The two large dogs were off leash. They saw the westies and came running and attacked.

The owner said that his dogs were used to playing with white stuffed dog toys and so that is why he thought his dogs attacked. He paid all the vet bills and my husbands bills (he was bit in the process) but the agony of seeing that you can't ever forget.

Just this past August I was walking my Border Terrier (Abbey) on a leash at 1:30 am. She was 15 years old so in order for me to be able to sleep until 6 am - I had to walk her late at night. Two large dogs came out of nowhere and attacked. I was screaming bloody murder at the top of my lungs and nobody came to help. I tried to pull one dog off of her but he wasn't wearing a collar so I ended up hitting him on the top of his head over and over again to let go. I found out where the dogs lived and called the police. The dog owner lied to the officer and said that this was the first time his dogs had gotten loose and attacked. I found out a couple of days later his dogs not only attacked another dog but a child. He has since been evicted from the apartments because of this.

Abbey passed two days later. I am pretty sure it was due to a blood clot as the big dog was on top of her and I was on top of the big dog trying to get him off. She wasn't showing any signs of injury that night or the next day but 48 hours later she had partial paralysis. I still cry every single day. I can't get through one day without crying. She was my heart dog.

My husband believes that once we get Hakki (my new GSD) that things will go better for me. I just don't know. I know I need another dog in my life. I know that no dog will ever replace Abbey and getting another border terrier was out of the question. I need to start fresh.

#21 ·
I just want to say that it is extremely important that people contain their dogs properly. If we own a powerful breed, any powerful breed, it is our job to keep them 100 percent under our control.

Last week, my daughter called my phone from in front of my house. "Can you please come out here and help me with these German Shepherds." There were two. They live around the corner. Gate was left opened. When the two GSDs, got to the bottom of my street, they intercepted another neighbor, who was walking her JRT. They were very interested in the JRT. They started sniffing, but then they started mouthing, which escalated to growling. The lady picked up her JRT and the GSDs started jumping on her. She was terrified.

Fortunately, my daughter was just arriving home. She got control of the shepherds. We leashed them up and walked them home. Neither the JRT, nor the owner were harmed, thank goodness. It shouldn't have happened and can't happen again. I know both parties. The GSD owner felt horrible that it happened. Were actually out looking for the dogs, when we found them. The JRT owner was understanding of the situation, but really traumatized.

The two GSDs are very people friendly. The huge male is actually submissive to my Natty Boh. The young female, however, is not very friendly with other dogs. Had the male been out alone, I doubt anything would have happened. Two dogs are a pack. He fed off her. Together, they were a problem. They are very nice dogs, but I'm sure the JRT owner did not think they were so nice.

#41 ·
I will say it again....As I read these stories the majority involve 2-3 dogs. If there is even one dog in that pack that is human or dog aggressive the others will feed off it. It's pack behavior. It doesn't matter the breed. A pack is a pack.

I saw it happen with my own dogs and my cat. A dog(not a powerful breed either)that normally loves everything and grew up with the cat fed off another dog(even though it wasn't aggressive in the beginning). That is the conclusion I came to because there was no other reason. I do believe other's said the sand thing and after lots of thought, they were right. So even the nicest of dogs can join in, it's a fact, I had to deal with it physically and emotionally.

#25 ·
I can't speak for other states however if I feel that me or my property are in danger I can shoot the attacking dog or person. Example. If I am being car jacked in a parking lot and I shoot the person I am not at fault. I was defending myself. Laws in states vary that's the problem. However if my dog is in danger I would rather ask for forgiveness instead of permission.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#27 ·
For people owning a "dangerous" breed it's pretty amazing the level of ignorance concerning others. "Pit bull" is a type of dog anymore, and anything with a block head and muscles is considered one. They have been highly overbred and misused, coupled with irresponsible owners. "Mutt mauls" doesn't sell headlines. Pit bull does, whether it's the case or not.

#28 ·
Nonsense. My dog has a block head and muscles and is never mistaken for a Pit Bull.

Mutt mauls does and will sell headlines just like the two GSDs that recently mauled a child and the Mal that killed a man. If you aren't seeing those headlines, maybe you should Google dogs and not Pit Bulls. Not only will you see the other breeds but you will also see a lot more Pit maulings listed as mere dog maulings and not Pit maulings, so much for Pit Bull headlines being a drawing card

#30 ·
Can someone explain how this even got to pit bulls?? How do all these threads devolve into a pitbull debate?? Please!?? Bueller?bueller?

Edited to add: I have apparently had a bad day. Or I just can't anymore. Not sure which. I should stay off the board tonight. But I guarantee nothing.

Reactions: Dalko43 and selzer
#38 ·
When the Rhodesian Ridgeback mix next door kept coming over, every time I tried to load up my dogs to take them somewhere, I finally called in the sheriff. Yep, I live in the sticks, open carry is fine, concealed -- need a permit.

The deputy told me to shoot the dog if I felt in danger. I asked her, if it was ok if it was just going after my dog, and she said something to the effect that she didn't know about that. I think she was telling me to shoot the dog and when asked to say I was afraid, it was coming at me.

I never shot the dog. The people ended up moving, so the problem is solved. It was hairy for a while. Dog warden came out and told them to keep it tied up. The kids told me they have to keep it tied up because it attacks their other dogs. Really??? Whatever.

I don't think we need to run around shooting people's dogs. But I feel for the lady with the Westies. Think about that. You have a dog your kids can handle. They are about 12. I walked my parents' dog when I was 12 on my own. How would you feel if your kid was out walking your westie, and a couple of dogs of an unmentionable breed decided to tear it to pieces.

We have to not let 12 year olds walk their dogs because other people will own vicious dogs that they just can't seem to manage to keep under control. Just tired of it. Really.

Having your own dogs fighting is about the worst minutes you can imagine. You love these dogs, and you need to get them apart. It sucks. And yes, shepherds can kill a small dog pretty quickly in the right circumstances. It just seems like the vicious maulings are not attributed to most dogs.

#43 ·
It is critical to focus on dog breeds. When you have Goldens, Labs, and GSDs being extremely popular breeds and account for very few attacks vs breeds that are no where near as popular accounting for the majority of attacks, how can you not consider breed?

I have seen enough starving dogs, and dogs, by nature, are wonderful scavengers. It would only be natural for a hungry dog to raid the neighbor's garbage.

On the other hand, cannibalism is extremely rare in the animal world. Such unnatural behavior, such as eating its own kind, should make people sit up and notice. It flies in the face of survival of the species. It is by no means normal dog behavior.

#42 ·
Oh well, my philosophy is pretty simple and thus far has worked out well ... "No Dog I Do Not Know" gets to mine without going thru me ... period!

I don't consult the "AKC" breed description to determine if I have a "situation here???" And a GSD described as "Blocky Headed???" OK then ... that's a new one one me??? Most likely the number of times that "description" has been applied to "GSD's??" Pale's in comparison to number of times "White Boxers" have been described as "Pit Bull's" but you know whatever.

"Every dog that gets attacked" it's "always by a "Pit Bull??" And now we have "Blocky Headed" GSD's out there also??? Who is breeding them ... are they a member on here?? Where exactly is that in the "Breed Description??" I'm not "GSD expert" but in my "amature" assessment "I described" my OS WL GSD as a big "Furry Dog with a Poinyt Face!" A much more "accurate" description I feel?"

But you know whatever. In 14 attempted attacks on me and my dogs ... only "two" have been "Pits" and
Rocky and I had a "fundamental" disagreement on one of them!! I wanted to rescue that dog and "Rocky" wanted a piece of him!! I turned my back on that "Pit" to get "Rocky" from getting to him ... I had to block "Rocky??"

That particular "Pit" must have thought ... those two are "Freaking Crazy" ... I'm out of here!!! But ... whatever if folks want to go with "Breed" first to protect there dog's from strays ... good luck with that!

Thus far my record for "protecting my dogs" over 15 years time, stands at "100 %" and that did not happen by my picking and choosing what "Breeds" comes close??

I don't care! So you know ... I don't do the "well that dog's head does not look that "Blocky???" 12 lbs or 80+, "I don't care, I don't know you ... I don't know your dog ... keep your distance! I'll do the same ... works out fine." If it's got four feet and teeth ... it's a (potential) threat! That's all I need to know ... works out fine. :)

If people don' like "Pits" fine then ... don't like "Pits!" But they ought not be making crap up to make a point! "So now we have Blocky headed "GSD's???" Give me a freaking break! Just saying.

#45 ·
Czech and DDR dogs are well known for their big blocky heads, some WG lines too. Some WGSL's heads tend toward being "mastiffy". There is nothing unusual or rare about "big, blocky heads" being ascribed to the breed. It is very, very common and rightfully so.

What I find odd is that out of 14 attacks on your dogs, that 2 have been by Pits. Pits are only 5% of dog breeds owned yet account for nearly 15% of attacks on your dogs and you don't seem to have a problem with the disproportionate percentage.

#46 ·
I guess dog attack leads to pit attack like a donkey after a carrot. Inevitable.

Any time my Mastiff x is hungry she goes looking for little pits to eat.

People who don't like pits just get a bigger meaner dog. like seriously?

Can't help myself....must be sarcastic...lol

#51 ·
I truly believe that some people have let children and babies be endangered because we refuse to look at the elephant in the living room.

What I want to know is what is the market share on damages (medical costs) attributed to pit bull dogs and their mixes each year compared to other breeds. Then we maybe can start having a rational discussion about breed specific legislation. In the atmosphere today, you cannot suggest this without being called a racist. Seriously. I was called a racist because I am not against breed specific legislation in general. Whatever. I do not want ALL dogs to be muzzled in public so we do not offend the owners of certain types of dogs. And no, I don't think the dogs need to have committed a felony to have sanctions laid on it. It is over-late to call for aid when you are already besieged. There should be numbers by the centers of disease control or by insurance companies that tell what dog breeds hold the majority of damages, and then weigh that against the population of the breed.

I mean, (THESE NUMBERS ARE TOTALLY FAKE), if this was actually the case:

Medical expenses due to dog-related injuries (2016):
Pit Bulls & mixes............................................. $1,328,667,122.
German Shepherd Dogs & mixes............................ $ 1,489,672.
Toy Poodles & mixes.......................................................$ 789.

And,
Pit bulls and mixes are 9% of all dogs
German Shepherd dogs and mixes are 38% of all dogs
Toy Poodle and mixes are 0.4% of all dogs

Should GSDs be penalized the same as pit bulls, should toy poodles. Should toy poodles have to wear a muzzle, and the owners carry liability insurance on the dog because it might snap at someone? Should GSDs be lumped in with pit bulls and pay through the nose for home-owners insurance?

There is a big fat elephant sitting in the middle of the living room, and pretending it isn't there isn't making the room smell very pleasant.

#53 ·
Interestingly enough, the CDC did do a study where they found that the majority of extreme attacks were by Pit Bulls followed by Rottweilers. Despite being armed with this information, after the study the CDC stated they found no reason to continue logging breeds responsible for the extreme attacks. I know there is an active movement that has been working with the CDC to reverse its policy but so far the CDC has remained steadfast in protecting which breeds, if any today, are at the root of extreme attacks. There goes your tax dollar hard at work protecting dog breeds instead of people.

#58 ·
They just updated and corrected the story on the kids atracked in Atlanta. The breeds of the dogs were a pit bull mix and a border collie. They must have got some kind of backlash to actually make a point of correcting what they previously wrote.

#59 ·
Pit Bull advocates have been falsely trying to present one of the Pit Bull mixes as a Border Collie based on it being black and white.

This is the Pit Bull mix that they are calling a Border Collie. It might have some BC in it, but it is obviously high content Pit.

Canidae Dog Dog breed Sporting Group Hunting dog

Here are pictures of black and white purebred Pit Bulls:

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Here are picture of Border Collies:

Mammal Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Australian collie

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Australian collie Dog breed

I think it is pretty insulting for Pit lovers to think that a person of average intelligence could look at the Pit mix in question and be indecisive to its Pit roots or Pit behavior vs that of a Border Collie.

But hey! Thanks for pointing out that Pit lovers will stoop to any low to do damage control to the reputation of their breed even when a little boy lost his life and a little girl had her face horrifically disfigured... almost as if the Pit's reputation is more important than these children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.