German Shepherds Forum banner

Moving to Palo Alto California

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Daisy&Lucky's Mom 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I have a beautiful 13 month female GSD Lola. She is a nervous dog, so still under training and confidence building. She has come a long way since we got her at 5 months, but she still has some way to go. We love her like crazy.

We presently live in an apartment in Hillsboro, Oregon and my husband just got a great job offer, so we have to move to Palo Alto. Unfortunately, the rentals are very high there and almost all apartments have a breed restriction for GSDs. I need some help here in finding a place within a range of $2400 - $2800 monthly rental that allows a GSD. Else we will have to give her up and she is yet not fully trained, so she reacts in new situations. We are just freaked out, and don't want anything bad to happen to her. I am losing my sleep.

We are in desperate need to find a place near Palo Alto that will allow me to keep my girl. I need suggestions or contacts... any advice... will do. We can live anywhere within a distance of 20 miles from Palo Alto.

Please help me!!! to keep my dog. Please save her.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hello! And Welcome!

Not the best time to move to the Bay Area because of the current housing crisis...and Palo Alto ranks pretty high up there as one of the more expensive places to live. That said, your price range is reasonable (assuming you are open to 1bdrms) and honestly, before rehoming my dog I would simply extend my search farther than 20 miles - not by much but even 25-30 miles will give you a lot more options that would allow you to keep your girl.

Beautiful area with lots of hiking, outdoor opportunities and training resources, so don't be afraid to go small if you have to. Outside of hiring a realtor (which typically deals with higher end properties), Craigslist is the most widely used search engine here for rentals. (Include east bay and peninsula in your search as well)

Wishing you the best of luck!!

Ps. If you do a google search for german shepherds of the Bay Area, which is a large network of owners in that area that get together for socialization and training outings - if you connect with them... someone may be able to guide you...

#3 ·
Ps. Just a note about the rental ad culture - most of the big name mega complexes with flashy advertising, property management companies, rent specials and pet friendly advertisements are most likely going to have breed or size restrictions (which is unfortunate because these companies are also the easiest to work with when moving from out of state). Look for the humble mom and pop type listings... you can find some gems.

#5 ·
Welcome and Lola is a beauty! Palo Alto is very expensive so bring the big checkbook. You might be better off looking down the Peninsula away from Palo Alto. Housing there is in the stratosphere! Also, consider the East Bay Hayward and the surrounding area. Good luck and she's way to pretty to give up.

#7 ·
I live in the bay area on the coast and I strongly suggest what Fodder said, EXPAND YOUR SEARCH. Part of living down here means most people have to commute daily. I have noticed that it is harder and harder to find rentals that don't have weight limits for dogs. I will keep an eye out and if I see anything to share I will pass it on. I really think you might have to expand your search to find what you are looking for. It sounds like it may come down to how long of a commute your husband is willing to take on. Talk to him and see what he's willing to put up with, if he is willing to go a little further out you can get a little more for your money :) On to the doggie now...she is adorable! I love the way her tail looks in the second picture, it looks really long for some reason and I love it :) I understand your fears and I wish you guys all the best.

Just another thought to share...you said you guys would like to be within 20 miles of Palo Alto and I wanted to remind you if your husband and you are open they have caltrains down here and they are much faster than driving for those commuting!

#8 · (Edited)
Thank you so much to all of you who took the time to respond to my Post. I do get the idea of longer distances, and I have also joined the meetup group 'German Shepherds of the Bay Area'. Some of the group members have made some suggestions regarding apartment complexes that allow GSDs. Life is not looking so helpless anymore, we should be able to find a place.

Will keep you updated... Again, thanks a ton!!

Also... LOLA says thank you for all the lovely compliments. :) And yes she has a long tail, it almost touches the floor when she is standing. When she was a pup it actually touched the floor. A lot of people have complimented on her long tail.

#11 ·
A great resource for you and anyone in the bay area

Hi,

I live in the Bay Area. I would super recommend the Meetup.com group German Shepherds of the Bay Area. They are a super friendly and active GSD group. They do pack walks multiple times a month(parks, public spaces etc) and also have resources for training for your GSD. The group is super friendly inclusive with all types of GSD's(companion, working, ipo, tracking , rescue etc) The group is very welcoming non judgemental and don't have a snobby exclusive mentality. They also do a lot of positive outreach to the community regarding German Shepherds. Group members may also have some housing tips for you as well.

Welcome to the Norcal Bay Area.

#12 ·
Sending you lots of positive energy so you find a place for Lola to in w/ you. I know nothing about the Bay area other then that housing is outrageous . Lola is gorgeous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.