German Shepherds Forum banner

Protecting your dog

8K views 84 replies 32 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
Many might have already seen this......but...this guy had no reservations protecting his dog.

I'm a cynic....so it could just be a washed up boxer dressed in a kangaroo suit.....only took one punch but the guy may have dazzled him with his footwork.

SuperG

#3 ·
I'm not sure of how kangaroos feel about dogs? Just looking at the beginning of the video, the dog did not seem to be trying to get away or even stressed. I personally would not punch one but I would consider doing something weird or loud to get its attention.

Now I want everyone to meet Roger. Roger is like 6 ft tall and 200 pound of muscle. I don't think anyone would try to take him on....

#9 ·
That is funny. He's lucky the kangaroo didn't go on the offensive. it Looks like towards the end he was prepared to unsheath his knife and end the kangaroo. If it advanced.

#22 ·
#23 ·
I was a bit concerned when I saw this video the other day. If the dog hadn't been bearing the boar harness he could have been in a lot more trouble than he was in. At the same time though the kangaroo is merely defending itself from the dogs that are going after that. It's an interesting story if you read all about it, sad though. (dog was fine)

#43 ·
Actually **** fighting is still legal in some US states and bull fighting is still legal in Spain at least.

#44 ·
"In the United States, cockfighting is now illegal in all fifty U.S. states and the District of Columbia. The last state to implement a state law banning cockfighting was Louisiana; the Louisiana State Legislature voted to approve a Louisiana ban in June 2007."

And I do know that hunting hogs with dogs in the US and bull fighting in Spain are being actively lobbied against.

#55 ·
I met a lady who had GSDs from Australia a few years back...not only do roo's drown dogs, but they will hold them in their paws and gut them with those big feet claws............said they are very very very dangerous to dogs

Lee

#59 ·
Almost all of you people eat meat, right?

I thought this thread was about protecting your GSD puppy from other dogs that may attack, ruining the puppy's attitude for life. Heres what I would do if attacked by a pack (or even just one) Pit Bull or other breed. A six shooter revolver. Do you think a can of mace is enough for a pack?

#66 ·
Yep, I like meat.

Do you carry a six shooter with you wherever you go?

I guess I don't live where there are packs of wild dogs. I've been rushed by a pit once, she chased my bitch around, but her owners came out and I got Arwen to run by -- she was circling, and they were able to catch their dog.

We all apologized to each other, neither dog was hurt, and no one's feelings were bruised, no cops were called, no dogs were designated dangerous, no owners were designated irresponsible, no guns were pulled. But no, it wasn't a pack of dogs.

I had Arwen off-lead, which probably saved all of us a nasty fight at least. She was staying a few strides ahead of the pit -- yep, she ran. The dog had busted through its screen door and rushed us. My dog ran and circled close to me, staying a little ahead of the pit, she was ready for me to give her whatever signal. She didn't run away, she stayed with me, but did not engage with the other dog. And when the other dog's people were in position, it was like she knew what to do. That girl was half-human. The funny thing was that Arwen got into several bloody scraps over the years. Mostly female-female aggression. But Rushie attacked her and she was going at it with him when my hand was gutted by one of them. My fault. She never backed down from another shepherd. But she didn't stand her ground with the pit. While I am super glad it turned out that way, I don't know why it did.

I am not against guns at all. I have a shotgun. But, I have never had any reason to carry a handgun. I am afraid that had I been armed, I might have dispatched that dog to protect mine and would have been in a world of trouble. After the fact, it truly was not necessary. But before that episode played out, how would I know that? Had I shot that dog, both dogs were off lead, and unless I could say I was afraid for my safety, I would have been in the wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.