German Shepherds Forum banner

Eats through wire crates. Help!

655 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  eddie1976E 
#1 ·
My 1 year old 90 lbs GSD has now eaten through 2 wire crates. They seem to last about 2 or 3 months before he breaks the welds. So I'm looking for something sturdy and attractive for the house that he CAN'T chew through or bend open. Basically if he can get his mouth around it he'll work on it until it gives.

Then we'll just get a folding wire crate for when we travel.

#2 ·
If you don't mind spending $$$, check out Zinger or Impact crates.

#3 ·
Not sure what crates & quality & designs you've tried so far, but if no ready to order/buy one is doing the job, perhaps look for a local professional welder to make something more suitable.

Might seem a bit pricey up front, but at the rate of crates you're going through, it might be cheaper after a year or so passes. lol Plus, you can have it made exactly as you want.

#5 ·
Don't take this as passing judgement or being condescending. It seems to me that getting a stronger crate is not a true solution to the issue. If your dog is that anxious or frustrated in the crate and if you use a crate he can't work, he may start doing other undesirable behavior like liking/biting himself to the point of causing issues. I had a dog once that when she didn't get enough exercise she would start to lick her self causing issues.

Have you tried addressing the route cause if the problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.