German Shepherds Forum banner

Are rich people dog breeds a thing?

8K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  Jax08 
#1 ·
There's rich people car brands such as Bentley, Masseratti, Rolls Royce, and Ferrari. Rich people watches like Rolex and Tag Heur.

I've always known that rich people like to own things to differentiate themselves from the general public. With that being said is there such a thing as dog breeds that rich people will buy to differentiate themselves from the general public?

And do rich people refuse to have these dogs associate with common breeds and mutts?

#2 ·
Lots of people buy dogs as status symbols regardless of socio-economic status. Pit bulls, Chihuahuas and Poodle mixes seem to be the current flavors of the month. And don't forget the people who want to have the moral high ground and buy a dog from a shelter, higher ground given to the more pathetic the story and the further away the dog came from.

Unless you look at China and their million dollar Tibetan Mastiffs. :rolleyes:

#5 ·
This ^^

I have a lot of young upper middle class friends who have recently gotten married/bought houses, and almost all of them have gotten Goldendoodle/ "miniature" Goldendoodle puppies. Some of them paid more than $3000 for them, and in the contract agreed to have the dog altered. I was kind of surprised, especially since, from my understanding, the recent mixing of the two breeds means that the puppy's temperament and health could be even more of a crap shoot than in a regular purebred puppy.

Here in Israel, the most expensive breed of dog (on average) is a Pomeranian, so you see a lot of wealthy people with them.

In general I would say that there's some dogs I see as more of an "upper class" dog - Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Neopolitan Mastiffs, Yorkies, Borzois - I'm not sure why though. Maybe it's their demeanor, or just my personal experiences coloring my opinion.

#15 ·
islanddog, I think it's great that you have a rescue! And a very handsome one at that! You hear me talk about rescue and my foster dogs. I think, like WateryTart, it's the people who chastise us about buying purebred that are annoying. My own cousin, who KNOWS I do rescue, got on to me as to why I didn't go the rescue route when I so proudly shared a picture of Enya with me. That cut me to the quick! I love rescue, have been involved my whole life with rescue. And she knows that.

Just like with many things, it's the attitude and opinion of a few that stand out rather than the whole. Heck, that's why there isn't Halloween in many schools, but a Fall Fest. Really? Three out of hundreds complain and who is listened to?

And I don't think many of the rich and famous get a rescue for a fad. The rich and famous have always had purebreds and mutts just like everyone else. It's the three out of the hundreds again that are looking for their fifteen minutes of fame, of being 'seen' that put it out to the media and the media jumps all over it. It's really the media that makes things a fad more so than anything else in my opinion.

#19 ·
I'll just add, 'what is it with people that makes them think it's okay to tell other people how to spend their money'.

I don't even 'think' 'you should have gone to rescue' unless someone's complaining their puppy bites, chews, pees on the rug, then yep, if don't want to train a puppy, maybe a nice young adult will do.

It doesn't cross my mind that buying a purebred is about status (yes, naive) but about the best chance of getting the dog you want went raising a puppy. I wanted a purebred working line (and would have purchased) but found one at the pound first (lucky me, I miss you Dynamo).

To me, status symbol dogs would be those purchased, or acquired, purely to show off, gain status (literally) within a social group. So yes, a rescue can be a status symbol. Maybe there's some well-heeled folks getting rescues just so they can brag about how nice they are. Then others who genuinely want to do something for dogs in need, and then there's me; I just wanted a dog.

Motive is everything, as far as what is or is not a status symbol (this is me trying to stay on topic) but only the owner knows their motive. I don't think I would recognize the difference but I probably have my own mixed bag of predujice, more likely to base it on things like cars and clothes than choice of dog though.

...and Sonic thanks you for compliments.

#17 ·
@Deb, my poor husband got reamed out at a work happy hour shortly after we got our puppy. Someone felt very strongly that we should have rescued a dog. I was angry about that because I was the one in the driver's seat, not him, and yet he was stuck having to be polite with this person without throwing me under the bus.

He explained that he was bringing in a 70 lb animal, while she had a 7 lb animal, and with small animals already in the home, this was the route that worked for us.

She was not mollified.

#18 ·
It's the attitudes of the few that stick out to us, not all the ones who were happy that you got your GSD puppy. I didn't go the route of rescue either because I have small dogs and cats here. And I have specific goals I want to do with Enya. My odds are better with a well bred dog than one from a rescue. There's a 'whole' story behind getting a puppy or a dog, when they only see the part they want to see.

#20 ·
Yes, they become very salient.

I heard this nonsense for two solid years. It ended up that I didn't even want to talk to people who were pro-rescue because 99% of the time it turned out to be a really annoying or even infuriating experience. Then there was a group that crossed my path that turned out to be all the things I had been wishing rescue was. I'm still pretty suspicious of other organizations, to be honest, and I haven't run across a single other group in town that I'm willing to support with donations or time. Frankly, I don't see why I should when I've been told clearly that I'm the devil. But this group seems to fit the bill.

#21 ·
I've always adopted dogs from the shelter, and never, ever thought that I would buy a dog - so many unwanted dogs needing homes, and I was willing to provide one.

But after getting involved in Schutzhund/IPO, I wanted a well-bred working line dogm and did get one. I never felt the need to justify my choice to anyone. My next dog may be an adopted dog from the shelter, or another WL from a breeder (will probably have one of each ;) ) - I haven't decided yet, but it will be my decision, and what other people think won't have any influence on my choice.

#22 ·
What other people think can be kind of a tricky thing to navigate.

This city is smaller than it looks, so I never want to be outright rude in case I walk into my next job interview and find this person sitting at the conference table. On the other hand, it's also very rude and presumptive of them to assume they get to voice their opinion to a total stranger on such a personal choice, and I want to make clear that I don't entertain discussion.

I've ended up at, "This worked for us" or, "We're happy with our choice" and change the subject. It's somewhat successful. It doesn't shut people down, but at least I've been polite.

#23 ·
Interesting question.

Business and volunteer work have put me in contact with some of the wealthy people in this area, either doing work for them or hosting community stuff. The dogs that they own run the entire gamut, honestly I can't pinpoint a trend - and I'm very much a dog person. I know and remember my customers' dogs, but I don't pay any particular attention to their vehicles or their watches or jewelry.

There are many, many, doodle mixes, with most families owning more than one.

Hunting enthusiasts tend to have several (2 or 3 or 4) of their favorite (purebred) bird dog breed, which is also popular around here. Most of them use board-and-train, and send them off for a "refresher" course each year before the season opens.

#28 ·
Rich people aren't all that different from the 99% in what they want from a dog.

The richest person I've encountered was Martha Stewart in Maine who had some nasty chows at the time.

The richest person I have seen, but not really encountered, was a Clinton and a Labrador, and the state governor and a labrador.

Celeb types seem to have whatever, it all varies. Some like dogs they can hold like babies, others don't and have big mutts or purebreds, no real trend.

I don't think most rich people would spend money on a PPD when they can pay bodyguards as needed.

#29 ·
With the whole topic of rescues coming up. I do notice that some people judge me based on the dog I have. Despite mine being a rescue, I got a feeling that I was judged recently based on the type of dog I have. This lady lost interest in the conversation when I pulled out my phone to show her a picture of my dog. I guess you're supposed to have a down to earth looking mutt not a dog that looks like a wolf.

I mean shoot I'm a terrible person for rescuing a dog that was exactly the kind of dog I want. Strong, energetic, protective, friendly, high drive, gentle. Some of those other mutts would have gotten a heat stroke with how long my walks can be.

#31 ·
Did she know you had rescued him?

I ask because I get a mix. Some people assume rescue because they would/did, so of course everyone does, it's just the right thing to do! So from them I'll get, "Oh, what a pretty dog! Where did you rescue her from?" (Reactions to my response to that are usually pretty hilarious.)

Other people look at my dog and assume that a dog that looks that much like a classic German Shepherd (black and tan saddle/blanket) must be a purebred and must be a purchase. If they are staunchly anti-breeder, that's where they will lose interest, even if they don't know for sure that the dog is purchased.

Still others do have a real bee in their bonnet about purebreds in general.

#33 ·
To each their own depends on their lifestyle etc. I don't see owning any particular kind of dog or animal a status symbol. You need to have a deep interest in dogs/animals usually to own one. People who see animals as status symbols usually own some strange exotic animal like a great white shark swimming in their living room or a lion in their basement.

#41 ·
I used to think horses were kind of a status symbol .... not so much that ppl get them to flaunt their wealth, but they are just really expensive. The horse itself can be expensive, but also you have to have a house with property and fence it, or else pay for board, plus if you want to take the horses anywhere you need a trailer and a vehicle to tow the trailer, ect.

#42 · (Edited)
Lol yeah many horse people I know are not wealthy. We have a horse and we are not wealthy. I'm sure their are superficial people who like to own things and make into a status symbol and animals are not things but yes unfortunately to some people they are just that things. Your right very expensive to own a horse. Majority of people own their horse because it is a passion. So instead of occasionally adding to your wardrobe / newest hand bag or having a new car or taking a needed vacation that is sacrificed as you enjoy having a horse much more then those things. There is a range of cost owning a horse depending what you can spend not to compare to a car (an object) but just an example of price range from owning a pickup truck versus a Ferrari
And just because one can afford a horse like a Ferrari does not mean they can ride it and if they don't have the skills to do so can get killed. So this where the horse can be very humbling.

#43 ·
Well this is an odd thread but ... my turn. My first dog was Gunther an American Band Dawg. That's what I wanted and that's what I got and he was purchased from a "Band Dawg" breeder.

I just always "assumed" that if people have x dog ... it's because ... that's what they want. If all you want is four feet and fur and that's as deep as it goes. Then yeah I suppose a rescue with a good back story is the thing to do ... whatever works. But if you have "specific requirements" whatever they my be?? That's not gonna work. So "I" don't make judgments I assume people have the dog they want "I don't really care why. myself." :)

So that said ... I have some life long friends that are quite well off. They have had dogs for years all "rescues" and mostly smaller dogs (furry miscellaneous mutts.) I went over to see them and they had a new puppy. A Yorkie this time a little cutie she had the "Bow" in her hair and stuff. :)

So we talk and she keeps "apologizing" for having "bought" this puppy??? OK ... kinda odd but whatever much like here ... in the real world ... I'm not big on asking questions. :eek:

About a year goes by and we visit again and yet again she is "apologizing" to me for this dog??? Finally after awhile of talking ... the truth comes put! It wasn't about me .. it was her. They had always got "rescues" and she felt guilty for spending a grand on a "Breeder" puppy that she had always really wanted???

So she got what she "wanted" but felt guilty about doing so?? It was just kinda odd to me (the guilty) but it really bothered her ... I guess the "Breed vs Rescue" is a real thing??

#45 ·
When Vice President Joe Biden was looking for a puppy he mentioned in an interview he was getting the pup from a rescue. He must of changed his mind and bought a German shepherd pup from a breeder. When people from the peta and rescue groups I'm not sure which ones went "A "wall. The breeder mentioned in an article she and joe Biden were getting death threats and people from rescue groups were stationed in front of her house. Breeders versus rescue groups - a big thing
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Bidens-Puppy-Breeder-Never-never-never-again.html?yhp=1

#46 ·
When Vice President Joe Biden was looking for a puppy he mentioned in an interview he was getting the pup from a rescue. He must of changed his mind and bought a German shepherd pup from a breeder. When people from the peta and rescue groups I'm not sure which ones went "A "wall. The breeder mentioned in an article she and joe Biden were getting death threats and people from rescue groups were stationed in front of her house. Breeders versus rescue groups - a big thing
Biden's Puppy Breeder: "Never, Never, Never Again" | NBC 10 Philadelphia
I REMEMBER THAT. The Obamas took heat for not rescuing their Portuguese Water Dogs, too.

I wonder if Governor Dayton ever got slammed for buying his GSDs. If he was, it never made the news the way the Bidens and the Obamas did.

#52 ·
I have been asked various times if my dogs are rescues. All of my dogs over the past except for one has been purebred. But some have been rescues - dogs from breeders who knew me that had a dog returned to them, or had a medical issue, etc., a retired show animal or retired breeder. I love purebred animals because you can somewhat know what you are getting. I appreciate the time and education and effort that breeders invest in their animals. Also, when adding a powerful breed to my family, such as a GSD, I want good genetics to better ensure a stable temperament. Where I live now, I volunteer to help with the spay/neuter clinics in San Ramon. I will donate to pay for a neuter that someone cannot afford. But I have the dogs in my home that are right for me, and I will not be taking in street dogs. In the past I got in way over my head and had 10 dogs at one time, while still working full time, with an ailing husband. I nearly lost my mind. Now retired, I know my financial and emotional limitations.

#54 · (Edited)
He must of changed his mind and bought a German shepherd pup from a breeder.
That was political, because Alsatian has a reputation of a Police Dog. A slightly different character, Adolf Hitler loved his bitch not only for her germanness.
Without knowing the rules of the game and naming its numbered players it is very difficult to understand what, actually, is going on. I don't want to name here anybody, but the money producing breeding, seems, start with some breeding and ends in Rescue Centers. It doesn't matter, how much dog costs, offspring of titled parents runs loose along the streets in Dubai as a pack of strays because their owners decided to get rid of the zoo. In general, it is one industry where benefit not only mass production breeders, but vets, trainers, rescue groups, groomers and devil knows who else. A "second hand dog" very often resides in Police, the Police, in fact, has a priviledge of tasting the cream, and good puppies from Rescue Centers make excellent Police dogs. Dog is a luxury item many cannot afford to get otherwise than through RC, in any case, Dog Rescue organizations provide you with such an excellent choice through numerous sites, that, very well, by looking at those photographs a possible pet owner starts to think of a designer dog... The most expensive dogs are sold via Internet Red Tibetan Mastiff: 'Most expensive' dog sold for nearly £1m | Daily Mail Online as well as the industrial waste - "non-pedigrees" find a customer in generous public. The situation varies depending on the country, but, principally, everywhere in the world works one and the same machine, it couldn't have been otherwise, because dog breeding business and dog rescue wouldn't be International in this case. Imagine, somebody puts a stop to all this doggy misery... How many jobs it would be lost?

#56 ·
That was political, because Alsatian has a reputation of a Police Dog. A slightly different character, Adolf Hitler loved his bitch not only for her germanness.
What on earth are you babbling about? The VP of the U.S. bought a GSD puppy because they've always had that breed and wanted one. The reason one was bought over rescued is only really known to Joe Biden and his family. As far as why they bought from that breeder, who is no more than a puppy mill, is that an aide did the research...poorly. But politics had nothing to do with that family buying a GSD.

And did you really just compare Joe Biden to Adolf Hitler?

Some people's children.....:headbang:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.