German Shepherds Forum banner

Phoenix has been skunked

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Suki's Mom 
#1 ·
Poor pup, mindng his own business in our back yard, I saw the skunk just as Phoenix barked and ran to it, I think he's been sprayed in the face :eek: called him back from the critter (yes thank you recall practice) but he's put out for sure, rubbing his face, running around inside. Treatments please? I'm trying cloth with water, should I use something else?

#2 ·
Reactions: Deb and LittleBear
#3 ·
The link dogfaeries posted works.

De-Skunking Your Dog : The Humane Society of the United States

I've also attempted tomato baths, all that did was make my bathroom look like a murder scene and smell like soup.

You may need to throw out your dog's collar - I never managed to get the stink out of my girl's collar, every time it got damp it reeked. Just toss it.

Good luck. Last time this happened to me was on Valentine's Day, it ruined my dinner plans to say the least.

#6 ·
And be prepared to get a whiff of skunk in the weeks ahead if he gets wet or damp. It lingers! (I'm a dog groomer, so I get to experience the smell when we bathe a dog that's been skunked in recent weeks).

Reactions: Deb
#7 ·
I think I've cleaned his nose off, still smell some so will keep at it, that was the worst spot, not much else on his body as far as I can tell, must have been a bit of the missed shot for the skunk. It's better in the house, but this would be a sight, I'm crawling with my nose to the carpet in the living room to see if he rubbed the skunk spray there lol :sick: either the smell is dissipating, or I'm getting used to it. Ugh...

#10 ·
I smelled skunk last night and tonite--I let the dogs in real quick. I have some skunk remover stuff that people swear works on hand just in case.

#11 ·
I might need to get to the store tomorrow, I thought I had Phoenix cleaned, left him in a room downstairs just in case, came upstairs, it stinks here too :sick: the smell just permeates everywhere. He didn't come upstairs after the encounter. Poor boy, if it stinks for me, I can't imagine what it smells like for him :frown2:

#14 ·
Yep, the peroxide method works!
First time Suki got skunked, it caught her right in the face. She was foaming from the mouth and very upset. We actually called an after-hours vet for advice, as we'd never had that happen before (first time dog owner).
Second time was the very day AFTER we sold our house. At least the smell didn't turn off any potential home buyers :D
Third time (yeah, she hasn't learned to leave the striped kittens alone), was right after we came home from the cottage (a 7-hour drive). Again, better at home, than having her in the car for all those hours.
We now keep Skunk Off on hand (and bring it to the cottage).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.