German Shepherds Forum banner

when my dog is aggressive he tries to bite me if I try to correct him

856 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Moriah 
#1 ·
he is 2 years old and i've had him for about a year. got him from a shelter but he is purebred.

when he barks and lunges at people or other dogs, he won't snap out of it and then has turned around and bitten me if I tell him no.

can this be trained away? he is also very big. I am afraid he will break loose and attack a child or another dog.

#2 ·
If he can be trained you probably won't be able to do it easily by yourself. It will take a combination of trading one behavior with another and finding a something very rewarding. It will probably take adding aversion, corrections, for lunging. It has to be timed right or the dog may not understand what you are telling him and confusion will only make it worse. Remember, by two years old this dog has had plenty of time to practice unwanted behaviors.

The other thing is you will need to watch him diligently so that can tell him No before he gets all excited. That first ear twitch is when you tell him No...and follow it with some sort of Yes. Even humans, if not given an alternate behavior, will go right back to what they know.
For instance, No, you cannot go over and greet that other dog. Yes, you can come with me to the other side of the street, lay down and watch them.

#4 ·
Don't try anything on your own. You need a good trainer to help you. Your gut feeling is correct; he is getting more to his adult stage and can become more dangerous if you don't take charge but please learn from a trainer. I would not go 'positive only' but more firmer when true leadership is involved. Look for a Schutzhund club where they know and understand GSDs to a T. In the meantime avoid situations where he can bite you.

#5 ·
Manage it in the mean time, by not getting him in a situation where he will bark and lunge at other dogs. Keep your distance. If necessary, put a muzzle on him when you go out.

It sounds like re-directed aggression. But it still isn't ok. Get real, live, help.

Reactions: Deb
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.