German Shepherds Forum banner

Hip and elbow dysplasia

813 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LeoRose 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering how common it actually is in German shepherds.. and what is the average price to get a dog completely tested for it?? Also is it genetic, or can it happen to any dog no matter the genes? I've heard just over exercising while they are young could cause it.. are there other factors?

#2 ·
I have had 6 german shepherds (soon to be 7) in my lifetime, along with 4 aussies, couple of mutts, and have never had a dog with hip or elbow dysplasia.
Luck? Maybe..I let my young puppies be puppies, barring any ridiculous stunts..can be genetic mostly I think, but also can be caused by an injury , etc..I don't over exercise my puppies, however, again, I do let them be puppies..tho sometimes I cringe

#4 ·
Take a peek at the OFA's statistics on it.
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

It is largely genetic but environmental factors are also extremely important. And this can start from the whelping box! Having a good solid traction is important, rather than a slipper service with offers no good footing for the growing pups. And as a pet owner feeding good food, NOT keeping the puppy overweight, and being careful about not over exercising (especially on hard surfaces like concrete) or not allowing any notable jumping until the pup is older and has grown into themselves a bit.

As for prices, I tend to see between $1,200-$2,500 depending on the parents' achievements.

#5 ·
Looking at that site it shows that it has gone down! That it excellent!! For the price I meant how much would it cost to get my dogs tested for hip and elbow dysplasia.
Although that is helpful too! In my area I see registered with champion parento go for anywhere from 800 - 1500.

#8 ·
When I got a quote for OFA x-rays a few years ago, my vet quoted me around $300 to $350, plus the cost of submission to OFA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.