German Shepherds Forum banner

Walking A GS 2 Hours After Meals

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  WateryTart 
#1 ·
If I may ask, I take my German Shepherd for walk 2 hours after meal, is it safe to this? Meaning, he won't get a bloat? How many hours after meals would it be safe to walk a German Shepherd without getting any bloat?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
to be honest, there really isn't a lot of solid evidence as to what does and does not cause bloat. My family does insist on rest after meals just to be safe. It would not surprise me if too much rough and tumble play after eating could cause a torsion emergency. But a calm walk shouldn't be a problem. (just my two cents)

#4 ·
I do 2 hours for larger meals or heavier exercise. Sometimes will let them do something after an hour when theyb have had only a snack.

I *try* to do heavy exercise with them as empty as possible, like a few hrs before dinner, or sometimes in the summer I would take the boy tracking before breakfast and then not feed him till mid morning when he was all cooled down

#9 ·
I'll second this. My vet has said that while it won't prevent bloat, it will help prevent torsion...but practically speaking, he's never had a dog bloat, who has undergone a gastropexy. (Apologies for the bad grammar.)

It was an expensive surgery - we had it done when she was spayed and the whole bill was around $1250 - but well worth it.

We do still rest her for the hour on both sides of meals. But it's nice peace of mind anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.