German Shepherds Forum banner

Launching

615 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kane's World 
#1 ·
I am not sure if other people have had their dogs do this, but Winnie has recently found an activity that she thoroughly enjoys: jumping on the bed and then launching herself off it across the room. While it is extremely cute, I am sure that this can not possibly be good for her joints (the landing) so I try to prevent her from doing it, but sometimes she goes so fast that I can't get there in time. It doesn't even have to be off the bed, she will propel herself literally off the wall, a chest, or anything she can use to spring off of. She walks up and down stairs quite a bit to go to my room and won't jump from them, but she will sometimes go into crazy-dashing-puppy mode and race around the room launching herself off of anything she can. Is there any way to prevent this aside from just not letting her off leash in the room?

#3 ·
LOL! We call it the 'Butt, Scoot and Boogy'! They tuck their bottoms and then take off. With the big dogs I put them into a down stay and immediately take them outside for a run and some fetch to help release some of the energy. They have the biggest grins while doing it. Sometimes I think they do it in place of just asking to go out because it's fun to them.

#4 ·
We have a large L-shaped sectional couch. When Kane has the zoomies he runs as fast as he can, leaps onto it, then does a superhero type of run along the back cushions of the couch...so his body is sideways & feet on the back....then launches himself off for another go-around.

He's not even allowed on that couch....lol.

Like you said, it's cute; but now that Kane is almost 2 and 85 pounds it's really hard on the furniture. It's still cute, though, if I'm honest :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.