German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy Size

5K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  k9trainersj 
#1 ·
So, my pup Axel has always seemed to be big boned and solid. He weighed 61lbs today at a vet scale and is just under 5 months old. He turns 5 months on the 23rd. Do any of you remember what your male pups weighed at this age? Most things say he should be more around the 50lbs but I know that's just a ball park guide line. So I'm curious to where he stand vs most of your pups? I don't have a particular desire for him to be huge nor small.... just curious to how he is running.

First pic is a week ago and the second is him last night just hanging out. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
He is a nice looking dog. Filled out nicely for his age. Athena is just now 50# but I can't keep weight on her. She eats like a horse but just stays so skinny. She is a couple weeks older than Axel. Apollo looks to be more like your boy as far as filling out. He is a month younger than yours.

#11 ·
Thank you. I know a lot of people tend to comment they struggle keeping weight on their shepherd pups but Axel definitely doesn't struggle there. I do not push food on him but he typically eats well. Some days he'll devour food and others eat half of his normal ration or less. I don't push food ok him as I always felt puppies eat what they need as a rule assuming they are healthy.

Do you have recent pics of your two pups? I would love to see them.... love seeing other pups particularly other sables! :)

#14 ·
She was on an adventure in the southern hemisphere when that photo was snapped by a drone. So, it just looks like she's upside down since she's under the earth, as opposed to how we're standing atop the earth in the northern hemisphere.

What she was doing down there, I have no idea...but do any of us really know what our dogs are up to while we're at work? I like to think mine is out socializing, wearing a tuxedo t-shirt because it says, "I want to be formal, but I'm here to party."

(and with this post, it is clear that I am in serious need of getting some sleep)

#15 ·
Jack weighed 58 pounds around 4.5 months. He's 5.5 now, and I suspect if we were to go weigh him, he'd be around 65ish.

Ours is a little more on the taller side compared to Axel and is therefore a little leggier and thinner. But he's just about as filled out.

For what it's worth, his sire was 130 pounds and the dam was 90. Both were in excellent health and not overweight. I think he trends more towards his dam with the shorter coat and "marathon runner" look vs his sire...who basically looked like a big giant white wolf. My guess is he'll end up somewhere in the ballpark of 100-110.

Pretty puppy, though. :)

#20 · (Edited)
I don't recall what Keefer was at 5 months old, but I think he was 56 pounds at 6 months old. He matured to 80 pounds as an adult. He's 11 years old and as a senior he's a few pounds less, in the 75/76 pound range, probably due to less muscle mass than when he was younger.

ETA: What's interesting is that his half sister Dena was 63 pounds at 6 months old. She matured to around 72 pounds, so she grew more early on than he did, but he made up for it later.

#21 ·
I know I am a little late to the party but I wanted to get an accurate weight on Kato before posting. As of today he is 77 pounds and is 6 months and 2 weeks old. When he was 5 months old I think he was right around 68 pounds. I am told that he is in good condition and is not too fat, he's just a big boy. You have beautiful dogs by the way :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.