German Shepherds Forum banner

how to avoid strays??

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
there is a pack of six strays that 'owns' one half of the neighborhood and a pack of three that 'owns' the other half. the smaller pack has puppies so we can't walk in that direction. on the other side of the neighborhood we've never had any trouble since the dogs always appear in ones or twos and always move away for walkers.

there was an instance in which two dogs together, lying down and relaxing got up and gave chase to us and our dog till the end of the short street. we've been walking back and forth on a short stretch since because one or both of those dogs are always there. we take AJ to empty plots on our street for new smells and burn off steam indoors as well but it's very annoying for both us and him when we can't walk freely.

there is a huge pointer in the neighborhood (known for dog aggression) who walks the stretch owned by the larger pack and they never seem to bother him. AJ loves walks and it used to be very pleasant ad enjoyable to brisk walk or jog alongside him. is there any safe way to 'brave' the pack the way the massive pointer does with his walker or to ensure our and AJ's safety when we're out?

#4 ·
Animal control won't haul the strays away? You could use a walking stick or other weapon but if there are more than one dog then you still risk your dog getting involved in some way.

#6 ·
The strays are on the road to the left of our house. The smaller pack is on the road to the right. We have around 120 feet of useable road. By walking it's not possible and driving isnt an option because no one in my family drives (dad doesnt live with us and driver cant be there that early.)

#8 ·
They can't chase you if you don't run.Walk tall like you own the street.Carry a stick too.They will leave you alone!They don't bother the pointer because he has the right attitude.He lets them know he's not to be messed with just by the way he carries himself.

Reactions: car2ner
#9 ·
But the last time we were chased we were walking slowly without eye contact with the dogs.

The pointer is about twice as big as each of the strays at around 3 feet tall. Could the fact that AJ is smaller than the strays have downplayed the "own the street" attitude we had before the chase?

#11 ·
you can walk that way and exude an air of timidity. Or you can walk with an air of "I own the street" and they will leave you alone. It is most commonly the human's body language that the dogs pick up on. You are nervous, which makes your dog nervous, which paints you with a target for the strays.

Walk with confidence. Carry a big stick. If the dogs approach you, step in front of your dog and "GET BACK" in an authoritative voice. That is all it takes in most cases. One good whack with a walking stick to the lead dog will take care of all but the most vicious. And it's doubtful that these dogs are that type or they would have attacked you before instead of just chasing after you.

#10 ·
Yes, members need to take into account where folks live. We moved to another country last December. There is no " dog control". Street dogs are numerous, 99% not neutered. Even dogs with owners run loose and are also not neutered. Street dogs roam freely in many of the open air markets. Some of the street dogs are not starving, because store owners and customers toss them things to eat. But they are un-neutered, shaggy, matted, and fill of ticks. I have assisted with some mass spay/neuter clinics here, where we average about 65 neuters in one day. I use a Leki walking pole for better balance when I walk, and the metal pole itself and the metal point on the end are a good potential defense. Most street dogs actually just go about their business. I think once I get into a regular walking routine, I may carry a small spray bottle of ammonia.

#14 ·
we've started braving the dogs' territories on either side but we're pretty careful. we walk and if we see the dogs and keep calm we keep walking, if we or AJ gets uncomfortable we give the u-turn cue and leave.

we got a steel walking stick (adjustable, i'm a bit short) now. we know AJ has a thing for biting down on any movement at 'ankle level' (he only does this with walking sticks or staffs and he hasn't had the chance to practice the behaviour for six or so months.)
we want to properly introduce him to the stick so he ignores it on walks but there isn't any material we've been able to find on it. anyone have any ideas?

#18 ·
our brave little AJ was terrified of the stick. at first i brought it along and kept it out of sight till we were going out, so a positive association, but it tapped against the wall and he went running back inside. we had to show it to him from afar and lay it down and let him see it and sniff it. it was twenty minute before we could take him out for his morning pee!!
we carried it over the shoulder most of the way and it saved him some trauma!

#16 ·
Good luck trying to be dominant with a pack of 6 strays. isn't it possible to catch them and then call the police? is anyone feeding them? I would not let myself be terrorized by them and take anything with you that can keep you and your dog safe. And forget about the fact that they are intact. Neutering will not stop pack dynamics.

#17 · (Edited)
well, not with all six at once. we never even knew they were six until one morning, well before dawn we heard barking and saw six of them, trotting in a line with one barking mad behind them. we've only ever seen them alone or (maybe twice) in pairs. ((EDIT: when they are only in ones, they leave everyone well alone. if people approach they are the first to turn around and half run away (except the bitch with pups, she still barks a warning.)))
catching them isn't an option. there isn't any animal control here, we're a bit far off from police stations and the sort. they're all well fed but none of the nearby residents feed them. they all go to the market during the day.

#19 ·
a little more help?

today we were out in his potty area, a small part of our plot where we havent built but it's outside our boundary wall and we heard a growl from the bushes. i was tugging AJ backwards before he could lunge so the growling and AJ's defensive posture would end. from the bush six adult strays started growling and AJ tried to lunge at all of them and bark back. i had to drag him into the house by the collar to escape a potential chase.
before this AJ lunged at two of the strays when they were right outside our door and i was bringing AJ out for his morning pee.
what do we do about the six stray against one pup situation?

#20 ·
today we were out in his potty area, a small part of our plot where we havent built but it's outside our boundary wall and we heard a growl from the bushes. i was tugging AJ backwards before he could lunge so the growling and AJ's defensive posture would end. from the bush six adult strays started growling and AJ tried to lunge at all of them and bark back. i had to drag him into the house by the collar to escape a potential chase.
before this AJ lunged at two of the strays when they were right outside our door and i was bringing AJ out for his morning pee.
what do we do about the six stray against one pup situation?
Can you spray them with something?Vinegar in their eyes would make them think twice about starting trouble.Whatever you have available in your area that will sting but do no permanent damage.

#23 ·
Is it possible to take some people with you when you go out with AJ? Those that are authorative, that aren't intimidated by dogs, making you a 'stronger pack'. I have a daughter working in Nepal. One photo she sent was of a street dog (puppy) that someone had left milk and crackers out, for it to enjoy. It may be a big cultural no-no if you arranged for someone to shoot the pack.

#24 ·
Uh wow!!! Six strays??? OK first that is flat out insane!!! I seriously doubt "anyone" here has faced a situation like that??? Rocky and I ... for whatever reason seem to do the stray dog thing a lot??? 13 "attempts" on my dogs thus far and nine attempts on Rocky alone??? Kinda odd but ... whatever ... and thus far "No Dog" has got pass me. Well ... OK technically one ... of a two dog attempt did, when I slipped on the ice while defending "Rocky," OS WL GSD." I went down and then apparently "Plan B" went into effect??? More on that later.

But lessons learned ... first by and large this dogs don't really care about you! Most likely they don't even see you all they see is your dog! I don't use "counter measure" my dogs are well trained and there job is to stand behind me and do "nothing!" I got this, and if they want to get to me my dogs ... they have to go thru me first! My job is to protect my dog and I'm good at my job. I make it "crystal clear" to interlopers that.:

And thus far ... "they" (strays) take me at my word!

But for a good defensive front you need one thing. A well trained dog ... the fact of the matter is your not facing 6 dogs (unreal??) but 7!! You can't "protect" your dog if he is acting like a "tool!" So you need to change that first, the reactivity crap has to stop! And yes ... a well trained dog can step there "calmly" well under assault and there owner defends them! Been there done that .. worked out fine.

So step one you have to get your dog under control, you can't deter strays and fight with your dog at the same time?? And the stick thing?? Yes a walking stick can be a deterrent but it needs to be used properly! You don't strike a dog with the walking stick. Now maybe that is directly related to "Pit" but striking a "Pit" with a walking stick ... only ticks them off! But I doubt "Pits" are the dogs your facing?? At any rate if you use a walking stick (also) which you need to use! You would use it to block the dog! Stab it in front of them to block to them! Not hit them with it! If you plan to strike a dog ... then you need a baseball bat ... not a walking stick!

And you need to use a real "Air Horn!" Not a "Pet Corrector! Talking 101 db here! And use you will have to use around your dog a few times so he does not freak out.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Ma...477716882&sr=8-2&keywords=air+horns+for+boats

Beyond the above ... this thread is for others that are not real big on screwing around stray dogs and this is what others do.:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...f-another-dog-attacks-your-while-leash-5.html

Oh and the Rocky and I ... well ... to be honest I was ticked off at him at the time! I was protecting him but he was my dog and well that is what I do and then ... this happened.:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/399905-what-would-my-dog-do.html

And as I often say .. the best protection for the "unexpected" is a well trained dog. :)

So to sum up your dog needs to get a grip! You "NEED" to stop the reactivity! You can't deal with him and deter strays! Walking Stick to block dogs and a real "Air Horn " to deter!

Better and simpler still ... is to just "avoid" but it does not like sound like that is a viable option?? So making them choose an easier target would be the next best bet. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.