German Shepherds Forum banner

Brushing Before Bed, But Still Hair All Over The Floor In The Morning

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  LittleBear 
#1 ·
I have been using a Furminator brush on my shepherd. It seems to do well at removing undercoat, but it doesn't seem to remove the outer coat; I have had better luck running my fingers through the outer coat to remove loose hair. I will brush her before bed and the floor will still be littered with long outer coat hairs by the morning. Is there a different brush I can use that will remove the longer outer coat hairs?

#2 ·
Shedding never really stops with these guys, no matter how well or often you brush. But multiple brushes are better than one! I typically start with a Zoom Groom, then a little with a Furminator, then finish up with a fine-toothed comb to grab whatever may be left. Furminators can actually be overused and damage the coat. Undercoat is all we really aim to remove anyway. The top coat will shed a bit naturally but don't worry about trying to remove it.

#9 ·
I use a comb, and a force dryer. I've got one blowing coat as we speak. It's a hair-fest over here.

#10 ·
Or - you could be like me and just give up. I have so much 'Shelby' hair blowing around. She has a long coat and minds the heat. I keep a fan on the floor by her crate - even though the house has AC. The fan does a great job of blowing the hair everywhere. It makes me wonder how much dog hair I have actually eaten and just how much nutritional value it adds to my meals. lol!

#11 ·
I alternate between a rubber curry and a pin brush some days and a furminator other days.

A once a month bath seems to go a long way...really loosens up the hair and after a bath and a good 48 hr grooming session LOL I can sometimes go a week with them looking fantastic and nit shedding much. A week!

#12 ·
I just wait until I can see nice clumps, then I sit and pull the clumps :grin2:, I can make a nice scarf with all the excess clumps now lol. Seriously, even when he isn't blowing his coat, there's hair, I find it 2 days after vacuuming. After 14 years with my first long haired GSD and another year and a half with Phoenix, I've learned to just live with it :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.