German Shepherds Forum banner

New puppy with questions on the parents

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  shep1978 
#1 ·
I have a 16 week old (today) registered puppy that we purchased at 8 weeks old from a breeder and we was thinking that he was a German show line however I have been researching the parents and the mom is from Bulgaria and even though the dad is from West Germany he on the darker side and doesn't fully look show line. I'm just curious more than anything on what line he really is and he is great other than one of his ears still being floppy but the vet said she will glue it at 5 months if it doesn't come up like the other one that has been up for weeks.

Below are links to the parents. Any insight or thoughts on line or drive appreciated.

Dad
Yoschi Vom Espiggut

Mom
Quina v.Haus Froehli

#6 ·
How do you determine there are nice dogs in those lines? I hate being a nub but we chose this breeder because many say their dogs have great health and temperament.

Also, I have noticed that this breeder imports some of their dogs from Bulgaria like my pups mom and some from Germany. Why Bulgaria?

#5 ·
Thanks we paid high for him just because of the healthy genes, probably more than we should have..
If you hadn't paid for him, you wouldn't have had him. If you pay the amount, it is because you think he is worth it. This goes for other recent posters as well, who complain that the dog was overpriced. Nobody makes you buy one. :grin2:

When I met my first GSD pup it was more than I had expected as I was not familiar with the current rates. But in no way was I going to let him go for a few hundred bucks.

#7 ·
Why Bulgaria?
I don't know - that is a question to ask the breeder. They may have contacts that they trust in Bulgaria. They may like a certain line, look for a certain dog in the pedigree, and the dogs that fit happen to be in Bulgaria.

Lots of reasons. Ask them.

How do you determine there are nice dogs in those lines?
That comes from being familiar with the dogs and the Kennel Names. There are some well-known dogs in the pedigree, like Ursus von Batu - very heavily used and popular stud dog. The concensus is that he throws good conformation and good temperament.

Just going by what I've read/heard. Can't vouch for it myself. But that is how people know good dogs - from reputation mostly. Or if they knew the dogs, and have seen them work.

#9 ·
I don't know - that is a question to ask the breeder. They may have contacts that they trust in Bulgaria. They may like a certain line, look for a certain dog in the pedigree, and the dogs that fit happen to be in Bulgaria.

Lots of reasons. Ask them.

That comes from being familiar with the dogs and the Kennel Names. There are some well-known dogs in the pedigree, like Ursus von Batu - very heavily used and popular stud dog. The concensus is that he throws good conformation and good temperament.

Just going by what I've read/heard. Can't vouch for it myself. But that is how people know good dogs - from reputation mostly. Or if they knew the dogs, and have seen them work.
Thanks for the info.

#8 ·
West German Showlines are actually all over the world. Just like they are here in the states. One of the dogs behind mine was Hungarian. Doesn't matter, the lines are WGSL.

What Castlemaid said, they are both 100% WGSL. Nice pedigree. I have a full sister of Arex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.