German Shepherds Forum banner

Getting Ready to Bring Her Home

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  randyhernz 
#1 ·
I'm finally heading back to Baltimore in a couple of days and will be able to get my new dog so I've been picking out new stuff for her. If anyone could go over my list of supplies and see if I'm missing anything or see something I shouldn't bother getting, please let me know! I keep wracking my brains trying to figure out if I have remembered everything I need.

She will be around 29 weeks old (almost 7 months) when I get her. She will have all her vaccinations up to date, de-worming, and will be microchipped and tattooed.

Breeder approximates she is around 30 lbs which seems small to me but she might just be a slow grower. Her sire is 87 lbs and her mother is 70 lb. She is a long coat.

Additionally, would you suggest I keep her create (have her sleep) in my bedroom or downstairs in the kitchen?

Other:
-Food and water bowls
-Poochiebells
-Safari Pin & Bristle Large Brush
-Safari Long Tooth Undercoat Dog Rake
-Pet Nail Clipper Large
-Herm Sprenger Fur Saver Dog Training Collar (breeder suggested this)
-Flexi Retractable Dog Leash Medium

Food:
-Victor Professional Formula Dry Dog Food
-Chicken quarters
-Nummy Tum-Tum Pure Organic Pumpkin Canned
-Grizzly Salmon Oil All-Natural Dog Food Supplement

Treats
-Zuke's Mini Naturals Fresh Peanut Butter Formula Dog Treats
-Triumph Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Jerky Dog Treats

Chews
-Starmark Everlasting Treats Chicken Flavor Dog Dental Chews, Large
-USA Bones & Chews Beef Foreshank Bone Dog Treat

Toys
-Booda Multi Color 2-Knot Rope Bone Dog Toy, X-Large
-Squeaky rubber toy
-Another Squeaky ruuber toy
-Rubber frisbee
-Lunge whip + Fox Stuffingless Dog plush (makeshift flirt pole)
-ChuckIt! Medium Ultra Balls
-KONG Extreme Dog Toy, Large, Black

Will also be getting a regular collar and tags once I get her and can measure her neck for sizing.
This is the crate I got her (kitten for size)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like you've got a great list there.
A couple of things to be careful about...the flexi retractable leash may not be a good choice. I'd probably get a good 6' leather leash and if she has not had a lot of training on recall, a long line is great for that.
Is the beef bone one that has been processed/cooked/dehydrated? I've seen those kind splinter and cause digestive problems...I have always given mine raw marrow bones, and have seen little bits of bone missing, which means they ate it right along with the meat, but it doesn't splinter and goes through the digestive tract just fine.
I am excited for you to get your pup.
Please post pictures when you get a chance. :)

#5 ·
No flexi, unless you don't plan on using it when she gets bigger. When she's still small, use a regular leash on her. I like the police lead because it gives me options. As she gets bigger she will follow you if you start training young. I use this https://www.chewy.com/sportdog-check-cord-dog-leash-orange/dp/107764 if I know people will be around. It floats and it will stop her if you step on it. Its great because it doesn't snag at all.

You can see my dog wearing it there at full out run.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.